Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 10

Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 14:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:30) correct 41% (00:34) wrong based on 151 sessions
Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved from the megalodon, a prehistoric shark measuring over 50 feet in length.

A. believe that the great white shark has evolved
B. believe that the great white shark evolved
C. believed that the great white shark has evolved
D. are believing that the great white shark as evolved
E. have believed that the great white shark has evolved

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

I need a lucid explanation for this question.

Source: Powerscore SC

Thanks,
Rakesh
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1849 [1] , given: 253

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 19:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. Do the scientists still believe in the white shark’s evolution? There is no indication that
they believed only in the past but not believe any more. We have to then use simple present tense ‘believe”. Therefore, believed, have believed, and believing (progressive tense inappropriate since, the belief is a generalization and not an ongoing affair) are out. The finals is now between and A and B.

2. The act of evolution is a thing of past. The white shark is still not evolving. So the simple past ‘evolved’ is the right verb. B wins

Last edited by daagh on 27 Feb 2011, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 19:30
Yes it should be B. Although I have never seen such a subtle split. Anyone can mark A !

A - "has evolved" - its correct. The action happened sometime in the past - indefinite past

But when speaking I will never use the present perfect. e.g.
I believe that something happened in the past. ---- simple past tense. Thats the reason I chose B.

Anyone agree ? We prefer the present perfect, if the condition is still in effect.

Last edited by gmat1220 on 25 Feb 2011, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 19:31
Well, I am divided between A and B. Can any expert throw some light?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 253

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 20:22
Expert's post
gmat1220:

I agree B is better for the simple fact the process of evolution stopped long ago.

These subtle differences mark these topics as tough ones.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:02
daagh wrote:
1. Do the scientists still believe in the white shark’s evolution? There is no indication that
they believed only in the past but not believe any more. We have to then use simple present tense ‘believe”. Therefore, believed, have believed, and believe (progressive tense inappropriate since, the belief is a generalization and not an ongoing affair) are out. The finals is now between and A and B.

2. The act of evolution is a thing of past. The white shark is still not evolving. So the simple past ‘evolved’ is the right verb. B wins

Evolution is an ongoing process and can't stop in the past. I am still more inclined towards A...
Can some expert shed some light on this question please?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:11
I found a video on youtube discussing the distinction between simple past and present perfect.

But still not 100% sure.
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 20:14
I have the same question ! But I think you missed the word "prehistoric". Does "megalodon" exist today? Can that be a counter argument? If yes, "has evolved" is imperfect here.

rakeshou wrote:
Evolution is an ongoing process and can't stop in the past. I am still more inclined towards A...
Can some expert shed some light on this question please?

Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 51

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
evolution is an ongoing process . has evolved is more appropriate. the answer should be A

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 07:16
A :
The problem with this option is it can be countered easily. The shark has to evolve from X (megalodon). The assumption is X exists while the shark copy evolution. But megalodon is "prehistoric" and it may have died a long time ago.........even before author wrote this SC. So the author is assuming that evolution "stopped" a long time ago. daagh's explanation :-) is very reasonable.

garimavyas wrote:
evolution is an ongoing process . has evolved is more appropriate. the answer should be A
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 93 [2] , given: 51

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
megalodon died several years before the author wrote this sc :D . fine . but the white shark which evolved from megalodon is still evolving just like humans have evolved from monkeys , those monkeys died ,but humans are still evolving.

this should clarify why 'has evolved' is a better choice than 'evolved'

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 08:14
Sorry mate ! I have to disagree. The last line in red.

B is credited answer.

garimavyas wrote:
megalodon died several years before the author wrote this sc :D . fine . but the white shark which evolved from megalodon is still evolving just like humans have evolved from monkeys , those monkeys died ,but humans are still evolving.

this should clarify why 'has evolved' is a better choice than 'evolved'
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 51

Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 08:17
well humans are still evolving . you bet ? individual cases may be different , which may explain why you disagree :d

2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 162

Kudos [?]: 549 [2] , given: 544

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Great white shark [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

I find your discussion funny :lol:

I was asked to help with this question.

My choice is A.

ask yourself what is present perfect and past simple?

The present perfect is a grammatical combination of the present tense and the perfect aspect, used to express a past event that has present consequences.

The simple past is the past tense of Modern English. It is used to describe events in the past.

Now remember that when the simple past is used there is often an indication of time, for example: The second world war began in 1939.

When the present perfect is used, the author is more interested about the present result rather than about the exact timing of the event.

From the given sentence I see that the "scientists believe that the great white shark HAS EVOLVED from the Me...on"(i don't actually care what does the "megalodon" means, though the author tries to explain me that "megalodon" is prehistoric shark. so the part after the comma is a modification).

the indendent meaning of the sentence is the following: the shark has evolved - the scientists still believe that this evolution happened 9from prehistoric shark), this evolution happened over a certain period of time, and not on exact point of time.

this evolution is the PRESENT RESULT of some past events . Keeping this in mind, please reread once again the defition of present perfect and try to match it with the intendednt meaning of the sentence. "If this does help, please retry the operation" :) (I am joking too).

hope this helps. :)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:44
the matter is to choose between A and B.

as said above
have done is uesed to say about past action without a specific time in the past.
we use "did" when there is specific time in past

I agree to A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 06:55
this is not good question. A is also correct.
that is my thinking

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 291 [1] , given: 67

Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
From what i have learned from E gmat's slide. Present perfect must be used for an action, whose effect continues in the present time. So once an animal has evolved from something, it still remains the progeny of that thing.
Hence i think that A is the correct answer

Consider kudos if my post helps!!

Archit
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 1137 [1] , given: 1036

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I agree with PTK.

Present perfect means that the action is over, but its effect is still relevant to the present moment, So in above example we can see the modified version of the shark even today. Moreover Choice A is grammatically correct so we should stick to the meaning expressed by Choice A.

Here is pertinent example that would highlight the difference between simple past and present perfect.(Source :- Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide 4th Edition)

The child HAS DRAWN a square in the sand.

In this example, the child is no longer drawing a square. The act of drawing is finished. However, the square must still be here somehow; the effect of the act is still operative. If the square has disappeared, you should use Simple Past.

Right: The child DREW a square in the sand, but the ocean ERASED it.
Right: The child DREW a square in the sand, but the ocean HAS ERASED it.
Awkward: The child HAS DRAWN a square in the sand, but the ocean HAS ERASED it.

Note that the act of erasing could be in either Simple Past or Present Perfect. In the first example above {with erased}, the current state of the sand is not known; in the second example (with has erased), the current state of the sand is square-free, since the Present Perfect has erased indicates that this action's effect is still true.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 02:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Scientists believe that the great white shark has evolved   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2014, 02:40