Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [3] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:02) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 147 sessions
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Numbing, Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.

a) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract
b) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting
c) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting
d) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract
e) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:28
A clear parallelism question.
1. whistling = using
2. rather than
A. "by the use" - incorrect.
B. same as A.
C. by using sounds wrong.
Only D & E have "using". D is correct because it uses the idiom rather than (the same one that appears in the end of the sentence).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:36
Pkit wrote:
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Numbing, Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.

a) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract
b) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting
c) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting
d) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract
e) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting

I will go for E.
A is incorrect as there is pronoun ambiguity "they" Moreover, there is no need to use "by"
B is oncorrect because of faulty parallelism
C is out for parallelism
D is out for the same reason.
E is correct. Maintains correct parallelism Moreover, you also have to ensure that the original meaning of the sentence is retained in the correct answer choice. "Instead" and "rather" are not the correct words in this context as both of them have a different meaning than "but". Also, the use of "by" is unnecessary as it makes the sentence more wordier.
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
shekharvineet wrote:
C is out for parallelism
E is correct. Maintains correct parallelism Moreover, you also have to ensure that the original meaning of the sentence is retained in the correct answer choice. "Instead" and "rather" are not the correct words in this context as both of them have a different meaning than "but". Also, the use of "by" is unnecessary as it makes the sentence more wordier.

I will demosntrate you that D is quite a parallel.
D is not right because of rather than, but ....

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The core of the issue is parallelism; - call female moths - and -attract their mates - are the two functions that the male moths do and both of them should be parallel. The present participial -attracting -is wrong wherever it appears. The intrusion of a subject pronoun - they - is unnecessary in A and is a redundant use, in cases in which the subjects of both parts of the sentences remain the same

D is the answer

Manager
Manager

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:02
Pkit wrote:
shekharvineet wrote:
C is out for parallelism

I will demosntrate you that D is quite a parallel.
D is not right because of rather than, but ....

And I did mention the use of "rather" is incorrect. Read the last three lines of my explanation. The reason I didnt mention it in the earlier part is to avoid repetiton. But good you pointed it out that it uses two connecting words instead of one.. I have a habit of pointing out the major errors in the footnotes.
What is the OA? i must admit it's a good question.
+1 to you.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:41
shekharvineet wrote:
And I did mention the use of "rather" is incorrect. Read the last three lines of my explanation. The reason I didnt mention it in the earlier part is to avoid repetiton. But good you pointed it out that it uses two connecting words instead of one.. I have a habit of pointing out the major errors in the footnotes.
What is the OA? i must admit it's a good question.
+1 to you.

Sorry mate, if I have offended you in some way, it was not my intention. My second statement was adressed to rav79 as he said:
Quote:
D is correct because it uses the idiom rather than (the same one that appears in the end of the sentence).

Yes, daagh is right. call female moths - and -attract their mates - are the two functions that the male moths do and both of them should be parallel.

daagh - great explanations.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:47
No Pkit, not at all. Infact I really liked this question for which I gave a kudo. You and daagh are doing a great service to this forum by posting challenging questions. I don't know about others but I an certainly benefitting from your efforts as it is significantly strengthening my SC.
Keep up the good work Pkit.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:00
shekharvineet wrote:
whats the OA?

It is D.
Press reveal,which is under the question, to see the OA.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 65

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 21:26
D

Besides grammatical reasons.

Male Moths call female moths (by) using acoustic signal (ok)
Male Moths call female moths (by) attracting during the day (very awkward)
Male Moths call female moths (by) using acoustic signal............ and attract during the day (ok)

I understand how one can be tempted to choose E, but if you consider the passage's meaning and words, then it becomes a little clearer.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whistling moths [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 22:00
shekharvineet wrote:
No Pkit, not at all. Infact I really liked this question for which I gave a kudo. You and daagh are doing a great service to this forum by posting challenging questions. I don't know about others but I an certainly benefitting from your efforts as it is significantly strengthening my SC.
Keep up the good work Pkit.

thank you, shekharvineet :)

You may find a lot of SC questions of difficult levels and different concepts using search engine.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 06:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 89

Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 10:07
I am totally confused about the answer. Because If I choose D as answer I have to agree with ' The male ..... call female moths to them using acoustical signals'. The issue is here - how do they call? If we use this option 'using' is modifying female moths and this is not the intended meaning.

In A, the problem I mentioned in D was corrected but again "they" is not clear here. So the two contenders for right answer in this question have problem. Am I correct?

Others are not correct for breaking the parallelism.

I need expert help.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 11:07
Raihanuddin wrote:
I am totally confused about the answer. Because If I choose D as answer I have to agree with ' The male ..... call female moths to them using acoustical signals'. The issue is here - how do they call? If we use this option 'using' is modifying female moths and this is not the intended meaning.

In A, the problem I mentioned in D was corrected but again "they" is not clear here. So the two contenders for right answer in this question have problem. Am I correct?

I need expert help.

Hello Raihanuddin.

In this sentence, "using" is not a verb-ing modifier form that modifies a preceding noun. "using" modifies verb "call", not noun "them. This case is irregular, so we have to remember.

The rule is: by the use of = by means of = using

"using" is the short form of "by the use of".

You can say:
A do B by the use of C
A do B by means of C
A do B using C

Hope it clears your doubt.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 11:16
pqhai wrote:
Raihanuddin wrote:

I need expert help.

Hello Raihanuddin.

In this sentence, "using" is not a verb-ing modifier form that modifies a preceding noun. "using" modifies verb "call", not noun "them. This case is irregular, so we have to remember.

The rule is: by the use of = by means of = using

"using" is the short form of "by the use of".

You can say:
A do B by the use of C
A do B by means of C
A do B using C

Hope it clears your doubt.

Ok.
Now if I say, Joe killed the snake using the stick. What does it mean then? I don't think it is correct.
Can we say here "Joe killed the snake by the use of stick.' We can't. So how will I understand that using is not modifying noun here?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 11:40
Raihanuddin

Good point. Generally, "by using", "by the use of", or "using" are the same in terms of meaning. If you refer to an action (verb), you can omit "by", if the meaning of the sentence remains clear. The point is that you should pick an option using meaning rather than grammars only.

For example: I opened the door using a handle. "using" does not modify "door" cause "door" CAN'T use a handle.

Back to you example: Joe killed the snake using the stick. "using" is acceptable even when you omit "by" (by using) because the meaning remains clear. In addition, the snake can't use the stick, so "using" CAN'T modify "the snake". Thus, you definitely can write "using" instead of "by using".

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Manager
Manager

Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 11:54
pqhai wrote:
Raihanuddin

Good point. Generally, "by using", "by the use of", or "using" are the same in terms of meaning. If you refer to an action (verb), you can omit "by", if the meaning of the sentence remains clear. The point is that you should pick an option using meaning rather than grammars only.

For example: I opened the door using a handle. "using" does not modify "door" cause "door" CAN'T use a handle.

Back to you example: Joe killed the snake using the stick. "using" is acceptable even when you omit "by" (by using) because the meaning remains clear. In addition, the snake can't use the stick, so "using" CAN'T modify "the snake". Thus, you definitely can write "using" instead of "by using".

Oh!!!!!!!

I am in big problem if I accept what you are saying.
As the mentioned sentence is wrong according to e-gmat.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
No, I would say e-gmat is 100% correct. If your example comes from e-gmat, I will say I'm wrong. My suggestion is you should follow reliable instructors, e-gmat is one of the most reliable instructors I've ever known.

First step, you should master the materials provided by your instructors. Next, you will tackle some "irregular" questions. Do not fall in "irregular" questions too soon if you haven't mastered your own materials (I do not mean you haven't mastered GMAT materials, I just give you an idea how to proceed). The odds of facing irregular questions is small.

The question we've just discussed is OG question, so it's absolutely correct. GMAT has its own rules, we have to follow.

Regards,

Manager
Manager

Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 12:20
pqhai wrote:
No, I would say e-gmat is 100% correct. If your example comes from e-gmat, I will say I'm wrong. My suggestion is you should follow reliable instructors, e-gmat is one of the most reliable instructors I've ever known.

First step, you should master the materials provided by your instructors. Next, you will tackle some "irregular" questions. Do not fall in "irregular" questions too soon if you haven't mastered your own materials (I do not mean you haven't mastered GMAT materials, I just give you an idea how to proceed). The odds of facing irregular questions is small.

The question we've just discussed is OG question, so it's absolutely correct. GMAT has its own rules, we have to follow.

Regards,

Yes, you are right

Now I am satisfied. Its really tough to handle this type of question and if we get these questions at the beginning, we are sure to fall in trouble.

Kudos to you for giving me your valuable time and helping me in this question.
Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2014, 12:20