Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3902 [137]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [68]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-gr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
alimad wrote:
Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a
dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago,
pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known that humans
made stone tools.

A. when it is known that humans made
B. at which it is known that humans had made
C. at which humans are known to have made
D. that humans are known to be making
E. of humans who were known to make
[/u]

I would think the answer should be E. ??

C,

.........date at which something is known to .....is correct idiom
f.e: date at which the portrait is known to have been sold...

E is unidiomatic, completely.

we can say date of event {birth, death...test} f,e: we can say date of his {her, Ann`s} birth, but 'date of ' is not used directly with people or living things.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Re: Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-gr [#permalink]
Kudos
Dated at or Date at is correct idiom , so A,D, E are out

in B, "it" is ambiguous;
C looks better

hence C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
C is correct.

Given : Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million
years ago, pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is
known that humans made
stone tools.

I simplified the sentence to:

Scientists have dated tool2 to between x and y yrs ago, pushing back z yrs the date when it is known that humans made tools.

A. when it is known that humans made - un-referenced pronoun "it" - wrong
B. at which it is known that humans had made - wrong
C. at which humans are known to have made - Correct
D. that humans are known to be making - wrong
E. of humans who were known to make - wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments
of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million
years ago, pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is
known that humans made
stone tools.

Subject is date => at which is correct. Either B or C
It is known that is unidiomatic.
Correct option C.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Re: sharp-edged flakes [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
There is a verb tense issue here. "...when it is known that humans made stone tools" switches from present to past. To change tenses within a clause, you need an explicit change of time period or subject. Since (A) has neither, it is wrong.

(C) solves this problem by using only one verb ("are"). "To have made" is what's called a perfect infinitive, so we don't need to match tense since it's not conjugated.

To be honest though, I liked Ron's explanation a lot. What he's saying is that (A) implies that 150,000 years ago, people knew that humans made stone tools, whereas 160,000 years ago, people didn't know that. This is clearly not the intended meaning of the sentence. Unfortunately though, that's just based on the definition of the word "when" - there's no larger rule here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
There is a verb tense issue here. "...when it is known that humans made stone tools" switches from present to past. To change tenses within a clause, you need an explicit change of time period or subject. Since (A) has neither, it is wrong.

(C) solves this problem by using only one verb ("are"). "To have made" is what's called a perfect infinitive, so we don't need to match tense since it's not conjugated.

To be honest though, I liked Ron's explanation a lot. What he's saying is that (A) implies that 150,000 years ago, people knew that humans made stone tools, whereas 160,000 years ago, people didn't know that. This is clearly not the intended meaning of the sentence. Unfortunately though, that's just based on the definition of the word "when" - there's no larger rule here.

Hi,

In option C, is it right to use "at which" for date. I found the usage a little awkward.

Thanks,
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Expert Reply
"At which" is fine in (C). I could also say "We'll decide at that date." Replace "date" with "time" and you'll notice it sounds OK - these two words work the same way idiomatically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
I was not able to decide between A & C.

Can any1 explain the though process behind answering this question?

Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments
of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million
years ago,
Subject: Scientists
Verb: have dated

pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is
known that humans made stone tools.
Subject: the earliest date
Verb: is

that humans made stone tools
Subject: humans
Verb: made
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
kuttingchai wrote:

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago, pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known that humans made stone tools.

The funny thing here is that (A) is more or less grammatically correct, but illogical. This is what is so tricky about GMAT SC --- it's not enough to be analyzing at the level of grammar. We have to take logic into account.

What the sentence is trying to say ----- (a) humans made tools 2.6 Mya, and (b) right now, we know this to be the case. There are two actions, happening at different times --- the tool making (2.6 Mya) and the knowing about the tool-making (right now).

Look at thhe grammatical structure in (A).
.... the earliest date when it is known that humans made stone tools.
What precisely is happening at that "when"-time? Is it the knowing or the making? Technically, the clause that immediately follows "when" is "it is known", so grammatically, this would suggest the knowing happened at this "when"-time, 2.6 Mya. But logically, we know that's not the case --- it's not the "knowing" that happened 2.6 Mya, but rather the tool-making. The knowing is what the paleoanthropologists are doing right now.

That's why (A) is wrong and (C) is right.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Thank you Mike, that helped. I got that the "knowing" part is down right now.

Just one confusion

Do we have 2 independent clauses here?

Independent clause 1
Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago,

Independent clause 2
pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known [that humans made stone tools.]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kuttingchai wrote:
Do we have 2 independent clauses here?

Independent clause 1
Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago,

Independent clause 2
pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known (that humans made stone tools.)

Good question. No, there is only one independent clause, the first. A clause must have a bonafide subject and a bonafide verb --- this clause has the subject "scientists" and the verb "have dated."

The second, "pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date ..." is a participial phrase. It has NO subject, and instead of a full verb (e.g. "pushes", "is pushing"), it just has a participle. See this blog: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/.

What is a bit suspect about this sentence ---- ordinarily a participle would modify a noun, the noun it touches (the "Modifier Touch Rule"). Here, the participle modifies the action of the entire preceding phrase: this is a form that the GMAT SC tends to avoid. The question at the top is not attributed to a source. I would be suspicious of whatever source produced this question. There are so many bad sources of GMAT SC questions out there, and I think this may be from one of them.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
kuttingchai wrote:

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Scientists have dated sharp-edged flakes of stone found in the fine-grained sediments of a dry riverbed in the Afar region of Ethiopia to between 2.52 and 2.60 million years ago, pushing back by more than 150,000 years the earliest date when it is known that humans made stone tools.

The funny thing here is that (A) is more or less grammatically correct, but illogical. This is what is so tricky about GMAT SC --- it's not enough to be analyzing at the level of grammar. We have to take logic into account.

What the sentence is trying to say ----- (a) humans made tools 2.6 Mya, and (b) right now, we know this to be the case. There are two actions, happening at different times --- the tool making (2.6 Mya) and the knowing about the tool-making (right now).

Look at thhe grammatical structure in (A).
.... the earliest date when it is known that humans made stone tools.
What precisely is happening at that "when"-time? Is it the knowing or the making? Technically, the clause that immediately follows "when" is "it is known", so grammatically, this would suggest the knowing happened at this "when"-time, 2.6 Mya. But logically, we know that's not the case --- it's not the "knowing" that happened 2.6 Mya, but rather the tool-making. The knowing is what the paleoanthropologists are doing right now.

That's why (A) is wrong and (C) is right.

Thanks Mike for good explanation. I have chosen B, and think it is gramatically correct, but again here as you have explained "it is known" refers to the time when we find out about it but not humans first tool making time. Am i correct or i missed anything?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [5]
Kudos