Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [13]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Scientists have determined that the inner ear assists in awareness of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Scientists have determined that the inner ear assists in awareness of body orientation, since people with disorders of the inner ear were found to have increased difficulties in maintaining balance.

(A) were found to have increased difficulties

(B) have been found to have increased difficulty

(C) were found to have increasing difficulty

(D) had been found to have increased difficulties

(E) have been found to have increasing difficulties

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This question deals with parallel structure. Scientists have determined that people have been found to have (present perfect tense throughout). That leaves us with choices B and E. Should it be ‘increasing’ or ‘increased’? ‘Increasing’ implies that the difficulties are increasing over a period of time. This would change the meaning of the original sentence. Choice B is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [4]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 530 Q42 V22
GMAT 3: 570 Q36 V31
GPA: 3.14
WE:Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Scientists have determined that the inner ear assists in awareness of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Scientists have determined that the inner ear assists in awareness of body orientation, since people with disorders of the inner ear were found to have increased difficulties in maintaining balance.

Two problems tested:
1. verb tense
2. modifier/meaning

1. Simple past tense is typically used for events of the past that have definite time period: ..., in 1994 people with disorders of the inner ear were found to have increased difficulties in maintaining balance.
If definite time period is not specified, Present Perfect tense is preferred: ...orientation, since people with disorders of the inner ear have been found to have increased difficulty
Also, the usage of since and within in the context of time indicates the usage of present perfect (here since = because)

2.increased difficulties: increased correctly modifies difficulties and express that difficulties are already big
increasing difficulties: express a process that difficulties are continuously increasing in maintaining balance - distorts the meaning

(A) were found to have increased difficulties - have been found is preferable, since the event is not a point in a time event

(B) have been found to have increased difficulty - the best choice

(C) were found to have increasing difficulty - have been found is preferable, since the event is not a point in a time event + 'increased difficulties' is needed to maintain original meaning

(D) had been found to have increased difficulties - there is now verb tense had been found it is rather have been found

(E) have been found to have increasing difficulties - as discussed, 'increased difficulties' is needed to maintain original meaning
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts