Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 10:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (02:21) correct 13% (00:59) wrong based on 7 sessions
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only in a small region of Central America and is active only at night. During the day, it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly. Therefore, the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.

The argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.
B) There is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day.
C) No other butterfly species lives in this region of Central America.
D) The foliage in the butterfly's habitat is completely green.
E) The butterfly cannot survive in areas outside of Central America.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 10:16
i konw its B or D, but i cant figure out which one of these two is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 10:47
I think the answer is D.
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 14:46
rajkumargnv wrote:
I think the answer is D.

I say D too....

what's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 16:11
Im going to go with B. If I assume that scientists cannot discover the butterfly on daytime, then it must have been discovered at night.

If that wasn't enough, Option D clearly paraphrases a premise in the passage (it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly), thus, it can't be an assumption.

What's the OA?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 19:21
i dont konw the OA yet, but i will as soon as i finish this exam and get the results. ill post it then.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 19:49
Hard to decide b/w B and D. But I am going with D my reasons are as follows:
1) Assumptions must be true that is we should be abel to defend the assumption with the statements, either implicitly or explicitly.

2) If B is the answer there was no reason to bring up a new premise which is butterfly turns to green and the foliage is green.

So when making this premise the author assumed that all the foliage is green and this has to be true for the conclusion to be true.

But B is kind of a conclusion and does not look like an unstated premise to me. I could be wrong. Lets wait for the OA.

Soomodh
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Butterfly [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 06:30
jimjohn wrote:
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only in a small region of Central America and is active only at night. During the day, it rests in treetops, where its green color matches the foliage perfectly. Therefore, the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.

A) The newly discovered butterfly is not related to any other species of butterfly.

I'll go with B because if butterfly's green color matches the foliage perfectly there are still possibilities (ways, instrucments) to detect its existence during the daytime. There are so many specifies we are not able to see naked eyes but we have instruments to find them out. This is only B that states that there was no other way for scientists to detect the butterfly during the day that concludes the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Butterfly [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:18
jimjohn wrote:

Reasonably sure it's B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Butterfly [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:56
jimjohn wrote:

I'd go for B. This is one where thinking about the negation of answer choices can be helpful. Suppose D is false, and some of the foliage is not green. The passage's argument could still hold up: the butterfly just camouflages itself in the green parts of the foliage.

But if B is false, and there is a way for scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, then the argument doesn't make sense. It may be hard to see the butterfly, but if scientists have another method, then we can't conclude that they discovered the butterfly at night.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Butterfly [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 18:38
johnrb wrote:
jimjohn wrote:

I'd go for B. This is one where thinking about the negation of answer choices can be helpful. Suppose D is false, and some of the foliage is not green. The passage's argument could still hold up: the butterfly just camouflages itself in the green parts of the foliage.

But if B is false, and there is a way for scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, then the argument doesn't make sense. It may be hard to see the butterfly, but if scientists have another method, then we can't conclude that they discovered the butterfly at night.

Exactly what I did. Good advice!
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Butterfly [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 06:12
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
johnrb wrote:
jimjohn wrote:

Exactly what I did. Good advice!

That's actually a good trick. It seems like a good way to attack problems like these which ask for assumptions.

Assuming Option is FALSE, does the argument still make sense?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 10:12
the OA was B

(B) CORRECT. In order for this argument to work, one has to assume that there is no way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, despite its camouflage. If there is a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, the conclusion is no longer logical.

(D) Whether the foliage is completely green or partially green is irrelevant as to when it was discovered
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 15:56
Good one guys, I agree.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 10:27
The correct answer is B. The conclusion of the argument is that "the scientists
must have discovered the butterfly at night." Why? Because the butterfly's color
matches the green of the foliage, and the butterfly is active only at night. In order
for this argument to work, one has to assume that there is no way for the
scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, despite its camouflage. If there is
a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly during the day, the conclusion is no
longer logical.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 02:20
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2013, 02:20