Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 18:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
99. Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.

A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 19:14
Problems with initial sentence. "that" is missing after evidence. Generally we say Scientists find new evidence that ...... Use of "like" is incorrect, here we need "such as". Similar errors are also repeated in B and E. So we are left with C, and D.
I think "they experiencing" is less idiomatic then "as experiencing". So I will go for D, however "in much the same way" in C makes more sense.
Anybody else is welcome to comment on preference of C over D or vice versa with explanations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 19:15
Well there is a 'their' in the non-underlined part so 'person' ones (D and E) are out. Take out A as well because 'like' wont fly here.

Now left with B and C.

I'd pick B though my natural tendency is to lean towards the one with 'that' in it but C is not parallel as it uses 'register' and 'experiencing' - not going well together.

B. Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.

C. Scientists have found new evidence that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 19:32
Ok I see the folly of going with A. I am inclined more towards B then based on the points stated above since D doesn't go with the latter part of the sentence. That was a good explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 20:03
mbawaters wrote:
Well there is a 'their' in the non-underlined part so 'person' ones (D and E) are out. Take out A as well because 'like' wont fly here.

Now left with B and C.

I'd pick B though my natural tendency is to lean towards the one with 'that' in it but C is not parallel as it uses 'register' and 'experiencing' - not going well together.

B. Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.

C. Scientists have found new evidence that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.

I totally agree with your explanations. Going with B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 20:16
mbawaters wrote:
Well there is a 'their' in the non-underlined part so 'person' ones (D and E) are out

Oh mbawaters, you are great! Seeing the non-underlined part is a red flag in my head. But sometimes, it disappeared in my head! :lol:

Many thanks!

OA is C, but I never see the sentence with as...as they experiencing..."

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 14:19
Is there an OE? If not, can someone who choose C explain why the OA is C?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 14:33
aaargh...i was torn between A and C and went with A.
Of course, I hadnt paid attention to the "like" in A. :evil:

I still dont understand why C is the answer .What ellipsis are we talking about ?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 14:57
Evidence That - Idiom (A, B Out)
'Person' does not agree with 'their' (D, E Out)
C Wins, ( Though lousy :) )
Re: SC.Prep. One more Brutal for me!   [#permalink] 21 May 2008, 14:57