Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 02:49
C- is parallel. Adjective......present participial is parallel,because both are working as adjective.
why A and B is incorrect.We need that to indicate belief,hypothesis,evidence .without that the sentence seems awkward.read the option A and B-what are they meaning?
D and E have agreement error.we need people not a singular subject.their is in non underlined part.
c remain the best choice
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Stern '14
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 03:34
C sounds good with revised question
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 06:47
thank to all for explanation as for my tricky one
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:51
amitanand wrote:
Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.
A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

i pick C. one split is such as/like so A and E are out. in my point of view "experiencing" is a dangling modifier so B and D are out. please correct me if my thought process is wrong.

regards

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
amitanand wrote:
Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.
A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

Hi

The OA is C

Please check the link:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post6920.html

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 14:02
amitanand wrote:

Choice 'c' seems awkward as written. "as they experiencing heartburn.." seems wrong to me
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 01:53
Option C"...they experiencing..."

Can anyone explain how is that correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:19
Strike 1 => idiom a, b out
Strike 2 => such as (example) vs like E out
Strike 3 => verb tense (plural) D out

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:21
Looking back I think if u keep verb tense D and E fall out. Right idiom A and B fall out! Quicker!

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 08:26
hirendhanak wrote:
can someone give diff

Scientists have found new evidence of people ....... vs scintists have found new evidence that...

I mean why do we opt sentence with "that" instead of "of "

that followed by a sentence segment is a restrictive clause which shows the importance of the matter which follows "that"
"of"makes it very general and has larger scope under consideration

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:24
Hey moderators,
Would you kindly correct the original question to avoid new comers answer it incorrectly?

Thanks so much in advance
Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:11
out of all 5, i shortlisted b and c, and the only reason i could digest c was that b uses 'ing' that is not preferable in GMAT. Otherwise i'm not clear why new evidence in the question is to follow 'that' insted of 'of'
Re: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2013, 00:11