Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 3

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:56) correct 44% (01:01) wrong based on 371 sessions
Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn--by monitoring what's going on within their bodies.

(A) of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
(B) of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same as experiencing
(C) that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experience
(D) that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
(E) that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same as

This the corrected version of the original post; It has also been corrected by sekkmba, I beleive, later in the thread
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 10:17
Hi Amit - Is the answer 'C'?

I think this is more of a comparison and parallism is not important here.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 10:43
Hi,
Could you please explain why C is correct?
Is it merely because of correct usage of 'in much the same way' than 'much the same way' and correct logical comparison between the 2 different ways.
So will that mean in case of usage like this the verbs used for comparison are not necessary to be parallel....like e register and experience in this case.
It would be great if you can elaborate a bit about this point.

Thanks
-Amit
Intern
Intern

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:33
It is not 'D' or 'E' because it makes the sentence sound as though the evidence was found based on a single person.

The sentence is comparing the Initial emotions of the person like sadness or anger with heartburn that the person experiences. It is a comparison of 2 things the person would experience. Option A compares the initial emotions with a just heartburn which doesnt indicate that its actually something which is being experienced. So I thought its not option A

Option B changes the meaning of the sentence. The scientists have found evidence that people exhibit such characteristics. But B changes the meaning to indicate that scientists have found out people who exhibit such characteristics.

This is the way I boiled down my choice as C. Is this correct? :-)
Manager
Manager

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:45
Hi,
It's A. Thanks for the explanation.
But Could you please touch on the point if parallelism should not be considered in a sentence like this.
Thanks
-Amit
1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
We should use "such as" when introducing examples. Or so I thought. :(

Quote:
A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as

Anyone?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 12:00
Apologies for the typo.....OA is C only...
Intern
Intern

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 14:31
Hi Amit,

The reason why I think this isnt a sentence having Parallism is because all the sentence is trying to do is compare a set of human evidence with another. I understand Parallism as something which runs parallel to one another. E.G. I was in the train when my friend was studying.

Hope this helps...but please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 14:55
Hi,
Thanks for the info. The only reason, I was not convinced is the phrase 'They experiencing heartburn'. According to me it should be 'They experience heartburn'.

Thanks
-Amit
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
Difficult to digest - ...they experiencing...

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 23:30
Yeah ykaiim. You are correct. The correct version of this question is on this link
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post6920.html

ykaiim wrote:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 11:44
I guess the correct OA is C. please check again
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [2] , given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
Yeah ykaiim. You are correct. The correct version of this question is on this link
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post6920.html

ykaiim wrote:

The question was corrected on <MGMAT site
Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn--by monitoring what's going on within their bodies.

(A) of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
(B) of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same as experiencing
(C) that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experience
(D) that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
(E) that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same as

Notice change in choices above

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 6

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
The correct verison of the question is as follows...

(C) that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experience - CORRECT
(D) that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing - 'person' is wrong here as the non-underlined part includes 'their'
(E) that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same as - 'person' is wrong here as the non-underlined part includes 'their'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 08:20
amitanand wrote:
Hi Experts,
Could anyone look into the following question:

Q: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.
A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

Doubt:
Do registering and experiencing have to be parallel?

Thanks in advance.
-Amit

"their" in the end of the sentence refers to people. Leave A B C and eliminate the rest.

Among A B C, Such as is better than like in this case and "as" is used to introduce clauses. Get rid of A. Between B and C. "in much the same way is better than "much the same way" and C, at least, looks more like a clause, but it still does not look like a complete clause. I am not sure whether it's missing "are" between "they" and "experiencing." Pick C, it has the least number of errors.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 13:46
based on the modified version of the question:

answer should be C
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 14:44
Can you please tell me the source of this question...???

Q: Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn—by monitoring what’s going on within their bodies.
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

because in case of C they ambiguously refer to Scientists as well as People...so I am just confused because in GMAT a pronoun should have only one antecedent.

D and E out because of the use of their referring to a singular noun person.

Hence the answer should be B

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 14:47
I think i did something wrong here as A and B are also not correct options

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
C for me

comparison was easy.. needs to be such as. parallelism was nicely snuck in here given that C becomes comparatively wordy.

Click that thing :) - Give kudos if u like this

Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:As [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 00:36
can someone give diff

Scientists have found new evidence of people ....... vs scintists have found new evidence that...

I mean why do we opt sentence with "that" instead of "of "

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Re: SC:As   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2010, 00:36