Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 20:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:54) correct 21% (01:36) wrong based on 89 sessions
Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was previously thought.

(A) eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was
(B) eras, therefore concluding that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water or more as was
(C) eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as
(D) eras and they have concluded, therefore, that its crust harbors up to three times as much water, or more, than
(E) eras and concluded, therefore, that the planet's crust is harboring up to three times more water as was

SPOILER:

Explain for me the "as well as previously thought" I don't get this.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 22:49
Expert's post
A problem of using the correct comparative idiom

A. As much water than - wrong
B. as much water or more as water – wrong; should be at least as much water as or more water than to mean a sensible comparison
C. up to three times as much water as – correct idiom
D. as much water, or more, than - wrong. The completing as is missing and a comma is unduly intruding after more
E. more water as was - wrong; more water than is required.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 22:52
Expert's post

Does this question pertain to this problem?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 00:24
the correct idiom is AS ... AS (do not miss 2nd one)
if there is COMPARATIVE form, there comes THAN
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 14:36
+1 C

Parallelism.
Idioms: "more" requires "than", otherwise it is wrong.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 18:43
It makes me wonder if the GMAT keep the sentences correctly punctuated. I did not eliminate using idioms. Haha! I just saw that therefore should follow semicolon... and leaves me with C and D... But D has two stand alone clause not separated by a comma and AND...

So I got C. Hmmm... Wonder if that was pure coincidence

gautrang wrote:
Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was previously thought.

(A) eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was
(B) eras, therefore concluding that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water or more as was
(C) eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as
(D) eras and they have concluded, therefore, that its crust harbors up to three times as much water, or more, than
(E) eras and concluded, therefore, that the planet's crust is harboring up to three times more water as was

SPOILER:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 03:25
gautrang wrote:

SPOILER:

It may sound rude but does it take too much to underline the incorrect part? to me a senetence with out underline looks like a gibrish all over :(

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Scientists have found signs [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 03:22
gautrang wrote:

SPOILER:

A) Lack of parallelism
Scientists have found signs......eras, therefore concluding that .....
B) Out for same reason.
C) Seems good..keep it on hold.
D) Wrong: as much water, or more, than
E) Wrong: times more water as was

So it is C.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Re: Scientists have found signs   [#permalink] 04 May 2011, 03:22