Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2015, 10:51
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 166
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 69

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 02:18
Good Question !

In the past, farmers used ordinary seeds in their farms, along with the insecticide to protect it from insects.
Now, last year few farmers used genetically modified insect resistant seeds, which are costlier than ordinary seeds. As seeds are already insect resistant, it require lesser or no amount of insecticide, lowering the cost on insecticides. Still, few farmers used insecticides.
Conclusion=> The above change is unlikely to increase profit.

Analysis:
In general, Profit= Sale- Cost.
As argument doesn't mention about sale, assuming its constant. So, profit in inversely proportional to cost. If cost is incresed, profit would decrease.
Old cost =cost(ordinary Seeds) + cost(insecticide)
New cost=cost(Genetically modified seeds) + cost(insecticide)


As in second case, genetically modified seeds are costlier, extra spending done on costlier seeds needs to be compensated by reducing the cost on insecticide.

For example,
Old cost = 10K(seeds) + 2 K( insecticide)
New cost= 11K (genetic seeds) + Cost of insecticide.


In second case, Farmers' spending of insecticide should be less than 1K for profitable business.

(A) Whether there are insect pests that sometimes reduce feed-corn yields, but against which commonly used insecticides and the genetic modification are equally ineffective. Contradicts the premise itself saying insecticides and modified seeds are ineffective.
(B) Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn has remained steady over the past few years. price of corn is out of context.
(C) Whether the insecticides typically used on feed corn tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops. Concern is about amount of insecticide, and not cost of insecticide
(D) Whether most of the farmers who tried the genetically modified ed corn last season applied more insecticide than was actually necessary. Correct, As genetically modified seeds are already insect resistant, more usage of insecticide will reduce the profit.
(E) Whether, for most farmers who plant feed corn, it is their most profitable crop. Its obvious truth that corns are profitable. This doesn't touch the premises itself.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 18:26
umeshpatil wrote:
Good Question !

In the past, farmers used ordinary seeds in their farms, along with the insecticide to protect it from insects.
Now, last year few farmers used genetically modified insect resistant seeds, which are costlier than ordinary seeds. As seeds are already insect resistant, it require lesser or no amount of insecticide, lowering the cost on insecticides. Still, few farmers used insecticides.
Conclusion=> The above change is unlikely to increase profit.

Analysis:
In general, Profit= Sale- Cost.
As argument doesn't mention about sale, assuming its constant. So, profit in inversely proportional to cost. If cost is incresed, profit would decrease.
Old cost =cost(ordinary Seeds) + cost(insecticide)
New cost=cost(Genetically modified seeds) + cost(insecticide)


As in second case, genetically modified seeds are costlier, extra spending done on costlier seeds needs to be compensated by reducing the cost on insecticide.

For example,
Old cost = 10K(seeds) + 2 K( insecticide)
New cost= 11K (genetic seeds) + Cost of insecticide.


In second case, Farmers' spending of insecticide should be less than 1K for profitable business.

(A) Whether there are insect pests that sometimes reduce feed-corn yields, but against which commonly used insecticides and the genetic modification are equally ineffective. Contradicts the premise itself saying insecticides and modified seeds are ineffective.
(B) Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn has remained steady over the past few years. price of corn is out of context.
(C) Whether the insecticides typically used on feed corn tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops. Concern is about amount of insecticide, and not cost of insecticide
(D) Whether most of the farmers who tried the genetically modified ed corn last season applied more insecticide than was actually necessary. Correct, As genetically modified seeds are already insect resistant, more usage of insecticide will reduce the profit.
(E) Whether, for most farmers who plant feed corn, it is their most profitable crop. Its obvious truth that corns are profitable. This doesn't touch the premises itself.


Excellent post! Here is my thinking:

Profit = Revenue - Cost

So if the new seed is used, how much less insecticide can the farmer use to offset the marginal cost of the modified seed?

If the farmer can eliminate the cost of insecticide, perhaps the marginal cost of the seed will be offset by the savings from less pesticide use, resulting in less overall cost and greater profit.

Bottom line-what is the least amount of pesticide that the farmer can use?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5019
Followers: 524

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 19:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2013
Posts: 42
Location: United States
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 02:22
D stands out. But even D seems to have a few flaws.

The cost of the genetically modified seeds is high so if they use insecticides there will be a loss. - strengthens the arg
If they do not use insecticides how can it be deemed a profit ? (the cost of the seeds is HIGH ) - how does this weaken the arg to effectively be the right answer?

Can someone plz help ?
_________________

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5853
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1480

Kudos [?]: 7951 [0], given: 190

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 21:11
Expert's post
janxavier wrote:
D stands out. But even D seems to have a few flaws.

The cost of the genetically modified seeds is high so if they use insecticides there will be a loss. - strengthens the arg
If they do not use insecticides how can it be deemed a profit ? (the cost of the seeds is HIGH ) - how does this weaken the arg to effectively be the right answer?

Can someone plz help ?


Responding to a pm:

Premises:
Farmers who tried out the genetically modified corn last season applied less insecticide to their corn fields.
Farmers still got yields comparable to those they would have gotten with ordinary corn.
Genetically modified corn seed is more expensive and money saved on insecticide rarely exceeded their extra costs for seed.

Conclusion:
For most feed-corn farmers, switching to genetically modified seed would be unlikely to increase profits.

Based on previous year's experience, the author is concluding what will happen this year - profits will not increase if farmers use genetically modified seeds.

(B) Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn has remained steady over the past few years
This information does not affect our this year's profit. If price has remained steady, it doesn't mean it will remain steady this year too.
So whether this year profit will increase or decrease or stay the same, we don't know.

(D) Whether most of the farmers who tried the genetically modified corn last season applied more insecticide than was actually necessary.
This question when answered will tell us whether we can decrease the amount of insecticide used this year. If last year farmers had used more insecticide than was required, perhaps we can decrease it this year without affecting the yield. If we decrease the amount of insecticide, we might decrease costs such that using modified crop seeds might lower our total costs this year. This will affect our profit this year.

Hence (D) is correct.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 920
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 322

Premium Member
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 22:20
Hi e-gmat,

Just want to confirm my reasoning.

I don't have doubt why the answer is (D). I just want to confirm that the GAP identified by me was correct or not?

Premise: SC have made GMFC(genetically modified feed corn)
Premise: Farmers tried out and applied less insecticide on GMFC
Premise: The yields for GMFC and OFC(ordinary) were same.
Premise: The overall costs for OFC were less than those for GMFC.
Conclusion: Switching from OFC to GMFC is unlikely to increase profits.

GAP:

(1). The yield of GMFC is not valued more than that of OFC since GMFC uses less insecticide and the customers who buy yields value more for the yield that uses less insecticide.
Assumption: Hence, the price of yield of GMFC is not significantly more than that of yield of OFC.

Please confirm!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2015
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2015, 07:01
In the question.it says "Farmers who tried out the genetically modified corn last season applied less insecticide to their ..."
Here it clearly says the farmers used less insecticide...
Why option D is right ?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5853
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1480

Kudos [?]: 7951 [0], given: 190

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2015, 21:46
Expert's post
Kumarsaravana wrote:
In the question.it says "Farmers who tried out the genetically modified corn last season applied less insecticide to their ..."
Here it clearly says the farmers used less insecticide...
Why option D is right ?

Posted from my mobile device Image


You have to read the question very carefully:

"Farmers who tried out the genetically modified corn last season applied less insecticide to their corn fi elds and still got yields comparable to those they would have gotten with ordinary corn."
The argument says that farmers using modified corn applied less insecticide than the farmers using ordinary corn.

(D) Whether most of the farmers who tried the genetically modified corn last season applied more insecticide than was actually necessary
On the other hand, option (D) says that we need to evaluate whether the farmers who used modified corn applied more insecticide than was necessary i.e. whether even less insecticide was needed.

The comparison is with different things. Does it make sense now?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2015, 17:10
Hi Meghna,


Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5853
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1480

Kudos [?]: 7951 [0], given: 190

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2015, 02:31
Expert's post
MarketingGuru wrote:
Hi Meghna,


Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha


For (B) vs (D), check this link: scientists-have-modified-feed-corn-genetically-increasing-94161-20.html#p1382766

Ask if anything remains unclear.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Posts: 77
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2015, 00:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MarketingGuru wrote:
Hi Meghna,


Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha


For (B) vs (D), check this link: scientists-have-modified-feed-corn-genetically-increasing-94161-20.html#p1382766

Ask if anything remains unclear.



Hi Karishma,
If option B was something like:
Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn would fluctuate in future.

Will it be a contender then?

Regards,
SR
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5853
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1480

Kudos [?]: 7951 [0], given: 190

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2015, 19:24
Expert's post
solitaryreaper wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MarketingGuru wrote:
Hi Meghna,


Please help me by resolving the conflict in my assumption in this question-

Profit depends on cost and selling price. Here the author is saying that the switching would unlikely increase profit. Hence the assumption could be that the selling price of both genetically modified feed corn and ordinary corn is same. Hence the answer can be (B).

However, I don't challenge GMAT :). But I am not able to establish linkages between premises to come up with an assumption to arrive at (D) in e-gmat way. Because the premise clearly says that savings in using less insecticide cannnot offset the cost of seed. So even if we use even less insecticide its not going to make too much difference. Plus how can we challenge/change premise.

Can you please guide.

Thanks,
Pritisha


For (B) vs (D), check this link: scientists-have-modified-feed-corn-genetically-increasing-94161-20.html#p1382766

Ask if anything remains unclear.



Hi Karishma,
If option B was something like:
Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn would fluctuate in future.

Will it be a contender then?

Regards,
SR


No, it wouldn't be. The price farmers receive for feed corn is the same - whether they use genetically modified seeds or ordinary seeds. What we need to figure out is whether the profits will increase if they switched to genetically modified seeds i.e. if one farmer uses ordinary seeds this year and another uses genetically modified seeds this year, whose profit will be higher? Since revenue earned by both will the same, the question is which farmer's cost will be lower?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Posts: 77
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2015, 09:28
Quote:

No, it wouldn't be. The price farmers receive for feed corn is the same - whether they use genetically modified seeds or ordinary seeds. What we need to figure out is whether the profits will increase if they switched to genetically modified seeds i.e. if one farmer uses ordinary seeds this year and another uses genetically modified seeds this year, whose profit will be higher? Since revenue earned by both will the same, the question is which farmer's cost will be lower?



Thanks Karishma !!
Now I got it.It's true that Selling price is not a concern here. It will be same for corn grown through modified seeds or through ordinary seeds.
The concern is how the profits would be impacted - something that is directly related to the cost incurred in the growth of corn.

Regards,
SR
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2015, 04:58
gmatpunjabi - Could you please help us know the answer you found for the question shrive555 asked? I also have the same question actually.
_________________

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2015, 10:02
People are saying B is wrong because the price is the same for both. I dont understand how the price of fed corn is the same as gmo feed corn
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2015, 10:57
jai1902 wrote:
Of course, we know the OA and we also know the reasoning. Still let us see the logical flow of the argument.

For same yield,

Premise 1: Conventional Corn-- uses X kg of Pesticide but seed is less expensive.
Premise 2: GM Corn-- uses 'less than X kg' of Pesticide but seed is expensive.
Conclusion: Though 'less than X kg' of Pesticide but seed is expensive. So, No profit INCREASE.


Assumption: Profit = Selling Price - Total Cost (pesticide + seed)

Option D introduces a new information which states that 'less than X kg' is still very high than 'actually necessary'. So, if we accept the info provided by Option D, Total Cost will reduce if we use only 'necessary' qty of pesticide.

For those, who still find Option A and Option B convincing, read below:

A. (I am not very happy with Official explanation given in the book but there is still another big flaw)
Insects SOMETIMES might infest the crop and neither pesticide or genetic modification will save it. So what, it might infest the crop once in a century. These unavoidable apocalyptic events might happen sometime. We should not take SOMETIMES occurring events to affect our decisions.

Take for example a situation:
Mayor: We should build a high rise building to accommodate people living in slums, which occupy large city area. The area saved can be used to build schools and hospitals.
Citizen: In every 10000 years, one earthquake hits the city. So, we should not build the high rise building because an earthquake might occur SOMETIME.

You know how dumb that citizen will sound!

B. If Selling Price increases, Profit will increase same for both types of farming, unless the changes in cost in Conventional farming are different from those in GM farming.


Where does it imply that selling price is the same? The first sentence says "modified feed corn" but B says "feed corn". How would I know that feed corn means modified and original
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5853
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1480

Kudos [?]: 7951 [0], given: 190

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2015, 19:32
Expert's post
kedusei wrote:
jai1902 wrote:
Of course, we know the OA and we also know the reasoning. Still let us see the logical flow of the argument.

For same yield,

Premise 1: Conventional Corn-- uses X kg of Pesticide but seed is less expensive.
Premise 2: GM Corn-- uses 'less than X kg' of Pesticide but seed is expensive.
Conclusion: Though 'less than X kg' of Pesticide but seed is expensive. So, No profit INCREASE.


Assumption: Profit = Selling Price - Total Cost (pesticide + seed)

Option D introduces a new information which states that 'less than X kg' is still very high than 'actually necessary'. So, if we accept the info provided by Option D, Total Cost will reduce if we use only 'necessary' qty of pesticide.

For those, who still find Option A and Option B convincing, read below:

A. (I am not very happy with Official explanation given in the book but there is still another big flaw)
Insects SOMETIMES might infest the crop and neither pesticide or genetic modification will save it. So what, it might infest the crop once in a century. These unavoidable apocalyptic events might happen sometime. We should not take SOMETIMES occurring events to affect our decisions.

Take for example a situation:
Mayor: We should build a high rise building to accommodate people living in slums, which occupy large city area. The area saved can be used to build schools and hospitals.
Citizen: In every 10000 years, one earthquake hits the city. So, we should not build the high rise building because an earthquake might occur SOMETIME.

You know how dumb that citizen will sound!

B. If Selling Price increases, Profit will increase same for both types of farming, unless the changes in cost in Conventional farming are different from those in GM farming.


Where does it imply that selling price is the same? The first sentence says "modified feed corn" but B says "feed corn". How would I know that feed corn means modified and original


Note that option (B) says:
"Whether the price that farmers receive for feed corn has remained steady over the past few years"

The question is not trying to probe the difference in the selling price of original corn and modified corn. A steady or non-steady selling price in previous years will not help us decide whether original will give more profit or modified.

Had the question been: "Whether the farmers can receive a higher selling price for corn which uses less insecticide" or something similar, then it would have been relevant too our discussion of which corn will give more profit.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2015, 19:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing tracyyahoo 7 27 Jul 2011, 07:04
Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing Ann0308 2 10 Jul 2010, 10:28
Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to jaynayak 14 12 Aug 2006, 09:32
Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to vivek123 11 04 Mar 2006, 07:19
Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to gamjatang 15 15 Dec 2005, 23:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scientists have modified feed corn genetically, increasing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.