Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 12:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (02:01) correct 57% (01:09) wrong based on 15 sessions
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

A.wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling
B: wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables
C: wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enabling
D: wings', the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enables
E: wings' of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enable
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 21:02
:cry: I read this question 3 times and I had no clue which was the correct answer. Iam looking at a good explanation to this question.

Anyway, my choice is for A.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 22:04
A.

1. We dont need butterflie's wings' - there is no attribute of wings being discussed here. D and E are out.
2. C implies, "Scientists have discovered that wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer". I think it is the least scientific info for scientists to discover this. The actual meaning was that "Scientists discovered that wings control heat absorbed and refleted". C is out.
3. In B, there is no independent sentence! there are two relative clauses - which and that, but no main sentence. It just hangs there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 03:07
Will go for answer choice D.
The singular verb "enables" is rightly put for the subject "layered construction" and expresses the original meaning more consisely.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 05:45
C it is
A has improper noun agreement "the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings [...] are enabling" --> wrong
C has no such problem and makes it logical that it is the shimmering, and not the layered construction, which allows butterflies to control their heat.
B indeed has no verb, hence no independent clause
D and E just have illogical possessive form "wings'"

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 06:34
Yep, I overlooked the 'contruction are' mistake :oops: C should be it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 08:30
Paul wrote:
C it is
A has improper noun agreement "the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings [...] are enabling" --> wrong
C has no such problem and makes it logical that it is the shimmering, and not the layered construction, which allows butterflies to control their heat.
B indeed has no verb, hence no independent clause
D and E just have illogical possessive form "wings'"

Why is B wrong? Don't understand 'not having verb comment'. Can you please explain?

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 09:36
I dont have an OA as I picked it up from another site... I personally chose C, which seems to be the general consensus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 11:50
B) Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away

What is in red is a relative clause which you can remove. Let's rewrite this sentence without it

Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings that also enables the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away. --> where is the verb?
There is no verb pertaining to the "ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings"

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2004, 12:56
Paul wrote:
B) Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away

What is in red is a relative clause which you can remove. Let's rewrite this sentence without it

Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings that also enables the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away. --> where is the verb?
There is no verb pertaining to the "ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings"

:banana

YES! YES! JEDI MASTER....I SEE THE LIGHT

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 03:08
C changes the meaning completely.
The discovery is not that the wings are the same bla bla bla, but that the wings enable the insects to bla bla bla.
A and E are out because of S-V agreement.
B is also out (see Paul's explanation above).

So answer should be D.

However, I dont like the "also" in D. also what? Nevertheless, is the best option.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 07:49
noboru,
In D, I am worried about the wings' (apostrophe at the end) .. Is that right? And also, shimmer means "to shine brightly" so I feel 'shimmer' rightly modifies the ultra thin layer of the butterflies' wings in C.

IMO C..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 09:22
drdas wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

A.wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling
B: wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables
C: wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enabling
D: wings', the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enables
E: wings' of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enable

D for me..
we need enables at the end.. enabling changes the form of the sentence..

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 01:46
I go for D but for the apostrophe....Experts?!?!?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 01:48
BTW i googled and checked the OA to be D :-)
and the question does not have apostrophe in the wings.....
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Butterfly Wings [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 13:11
I also have checked on my source, OA is D, with no '.
However, could anybody explain the "also" enables...

Scientis have discovered that the construction also enables...??
also is not needed.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 63

Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 03:56
Construction” singular… “are enabling” and “enable” are plural So A, E out.
B. same one marks is wrong… same X as or same X that are the right idioms. … “that also enables” clearly wrong as
there is nothing parallel.
C: “enabling” (Ing modifier) refers to the entire clause, whereas it should refer to “construction” only.

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 20:40
I have been reading a lot about our smart people in this world, and trust me when I say that you all are as stupid as an earth worms. people pay you for your work, no wonder the world is where it is, discovering an ultra thin layer, my God what a waste of money and time, and all of your other smart, so called scientists, Steven hawking's, he has discovered nothing, black hole theory, the only hole he has discovered is the one in his chrome dome, while the world starves. SHAME ON YOU ALL
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 21:00
drdas wrote:

A.wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling SV agreement Are enabling is referring to construction
B: wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enableschanges meaning Which clause referrinf to wings whereas it should refer to wings' construction
C: wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enablingcorrect verb and enabling is correctly modifying
D: wings', the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enableswings' somehow doesnt sound correct to me oterwise very strong contender dont have anything to take this out
E: wings' of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence also enableSV enable is wrong

IMO its between C and D .. I will go with C though dont have anything concrete to take out D

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin,   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 21:00