Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [3] , given: 77228

CAT Tests
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2003, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is extending and spawned parallel participial phrases?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 18:09
StartupAddict wrote:
It's not B because of verb tense.

A rule is if it's a quote of speech (Sally said ...) it's past tense, if it's a direct quote ("I'm a dyke", said sally) then it's present tense. If it's an indisputable fact (The fire IS hot, not the fire WAS hot), it's present tense.

I did this grammar workbook, which I think is fantastic for grammar. It's called 'English Grammar Workbook for Dummies', by Geraldine Woods. It's meant for people doing the SAT and writing college entrance exams, but she covers everything you pretty much need to know. She doesn't do the subjunctive mood that well, but you can read up on it in other places. I just completed this book today, spent 3 days on it, and I know 100x what I knew before. In Canada they teach us NO GRAMMAR!!!!!! Argh. 0!!!!!! I didn't know what the hell the difference between a subject and object pronoun was (ie who/whom), I didn't know ANY verb tenses.. I just knew past/present/future... of course I know how to speak English :) But I don't know any formal rules.... I'm still learning, but this book is a great starting spot.

Do they teach you manners and maturity in Canada?
I wouldn't use the term "dyke" in public in an American B-School, lest you fancy getting thrown out of class by one of your professors, or punched in the face by a complete stranger

Last edited by anonymousegmat on 30 Jul 2007, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC # 19 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 18:13
Amit05 wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
19. Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

please explain your answers.

thanks.

The trick is to back track to 'that is' and ignore the first part, then consider what is after the and:

(A) that is extending
(B) that is extends
(C) that is extended
(D) that is it extended
(E) that is is extending

B, D, E are obviously wrong.

C doesn't sound right.... I'm not quite sure why. Anyone?

But A is correct.

But why do we add 'is' here ..?? I know you are trying to parallelise but we can do that as below :

.....that is an intervowen .... and that extends ...
For extending, the sentence means that the fungi is still extending though we don't know for sure if it is so. In B, it means that the fungus presently extends and I guess this correctly conveys the meaning.. which is why I am so insistent on B..

his method works... what is the fungus?

the fungus is : long phrase x that modifies is, and phrase y that modifies is.

i got it wrong too... but if you focus on the fact that both clauses are modifying the verb is, the use of extending makes sense
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal SC # 19 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 07:58
anonymousegmat wrote:
Amit05 wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
19. Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

please explain your answers.

thanks.

The trick is to back track to 'that is' and ignore the first part, then consider what is after the and:

(A) that is extending
(B) that is extends
(C) that is extended
(D) that is it extended
(E) that is is extending

B, D, E are obviously wrong.

C doesn't sound right.... I'm not quite sure why. Anyone?

But A is correct.

But why do we add 'is' here ..?? I know you are trying to parallelise but we can do that as below :

.....that is an intervowen .... and that extends ...
For extending, the sentence means that the fungi is still extending though we don't know for sure if it is so. In B, it means that the fungus presently extends and I guess this correctly conveys the meaning.. which is why I am so insistent on B..

his method works... what is the fungus?

the fungus is : long phrase x that modifies is, and phrase y that modifies is.

i got it wrong too... but if you focus on the fact that both clauses are modifying the verb is, the use of extending makes sense

Though I am still not convinced, I will give more thought to it ... will post if I am enlightened..!!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 09:44
What is the difference between extending and is extending?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 09:48
I go with answer A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 14:01
is extending - Progressive form of verb

extending - present participle Spawned - Past Participle

Scientists recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a singles fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

spawned-extending parallel

Hence A
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 16:56
r0m3416 wrote:
is extending - Progressive form of verb

extending - present participle Spawned - Past Participle

Scientists recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a singles fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

spawned-extending parallel

Hence A

thanks. i can finally parse this sentence. knew of both concepts but could not quite put my finger on this question.

Scientists recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,
a giant fungus (that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles)
spawned by a singles fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago
and
extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 21:09
Spawned/Extending isn't the right way to look at it, you have to consider everything after is. Hence that is a blah blah, and that is extending....

that is extends
that is exnded
that is is etc

are all wrong. The only that works is that is extending.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 12:14
StartupAddict wrote:
Spawned/Extending isn't the right way to look at it, you have to consider everything after is. Hence that is a blah blah, and that is extending....

that is extends
that is exnded
that is is etc

are all wrong. The only that works is that is extending.

Although you're explanation provides you the right answer i'm not sure that "extending" is complementing "the giant fungus" or "the interwoven filigree of blah blah bla".

To me the giant fungus is something that characteristic A and characteristic B. Both characteristics (A and B) complement "something", not the giant fungus.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 11:54
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles apawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A) extending
B) extends
C) extended
D) it extended
E) is extending

OA is A. But my choice was C. Could you please help me to solve it.

Tnx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 16:13
A since its about "living" organism.

On a side note, do not post OA in your question post....other participants dont get chance to solve it and you will get biased answers/explanations too.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 19:38
kyatin wrote:
A since its about "living" organism.

On a side note, do not post OA in your question post....other participants dont get chance to solve it and you will get biased answers/explanations too.

Can you explain a bit more?
I picked C also for ||ism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 20:20
well I am no expert at SC explanations....but will take a shot

Quote:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles apawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

|| sm with what?

Cant be with discovered because that will sound like "Scientists have recently discovered ....and extended for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest"

Cant be with apawned as its about tentacles while extension, in my opinion, applies to whole organism since it ends with particular mention of Michigan Forest.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 08:44
my answer was B, since the extension is still happening. Can someone explain why it's not the present tense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 08:58
IMO, if its still happening it should be "extending" and not "extends"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
OG 10 SC210 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 17:49
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant
fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized
spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Please explain your answers.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG 10 SC210 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 18:16
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant
fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized
spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Please explain your answers.

I think OG11, #39 will give you a thorough explaination. By the way, I would give you a very similar sentence that is tested in the same way!

767-1000SCThe increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

The OA for this is D. I hope that when you compare the two, you will find the concept by yourself, and find the clue to crack this kind of question!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallel Participles [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 05:01
do for me
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 14:00
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

Last edited by bigtreezl on 22 Oct 2008, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 17:12
A

extended is superficial parallelism.

is extending is wrong because it is NOT extending now.
Re: CR:Scientists   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2008, 17:12