Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 11:20
It seems A to me too.......others are out of scope i guess
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 05:32
could not decide between A and C .. finally using negation end up choosing A, which seems incorrect as per official answer. Could someone explain with more convincing logic why C not A ??
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 05:35
+1 A

C seems more an inference.
You must assume that there is certain control of substance P in order to say later that the body has lost control of it. A is the answer.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 13:16
i selected C by POE
had doubts over A tried negation technique and it did not allowed me to disprove the conclusion. the conclusion still held that even with full control over P the pain can go haywire if not reset.
dont know if that makes any sense
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
lack of deep sleep --(causes)--> not "resetting" the substace P mechanism --(causes)--> fibromyalgia/pain

The underlying Assumption, then is simply:

(nothing else) --(causes)--> the same effects.

A classic Weakener would then be "[some other factor other than lack of sleep] is in fact the primary cause

Choice (C) says: Deep sleep is necessary, meaning that without it, there will be problems. If we negate this, and find that deep sleep isn't necessary, then it's entirely possible that other factors could be the culprits, not the lack of deep sleep.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 75

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 12:06
a. The body has a limited amount of control over neuropeptide substance P.
This sounds like another piece of premise, the assumption much contain something which should airtight the conclusion,in which we need to bring the consequences of the problem.
b. Fibromyalgia is a completely preventable disorder, if only other conditions are recognized and treated before it can develop.
Correct.
"......If pain becomes body-wide, however, and the mechanism can not be reset, this process may run out of control."
stats an assumption that the mechanism is controllable but need utmost care.
c. Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.
sounds more like a conclusion.
d. The functions of neuropeptides released by the spinal cord must be better understood before a cure for fibromyalgia can be found.
is that anywhere connected?
e. Because the causes of fibromyalgia are linked to depression, the disorder should be treated by mental health professionals.[/quote]
irrelevant

since (B) isn't the OA, i would like to request the experts to guide us.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 281

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'll start off by simplifying the argument:

1. F (Fibromyalgia) causes wide body pain.
2. F is caused by lack of deep sleep

The assumption is, without deep sleep, the body breaks down and the person suffers constant pain or F. Therefore the only way the conclusion holds true is if deep sleep is necessary to avoid F. Or, as answer (C) has it:

(C) Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 22:07
I go with A. I thought C was no were near as it says "Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system." . For me this is out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 11:02
So the accurate answer is C or A ?
VP
VP
Followers: 185

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 18:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 00:38
ChrisLele wrote:
I'll start off by simplifying the argument:

1. F (Fibromyalgia) causes wide body pain.
2. F is caused by lack of deep sleep

The assumption is, without deep sleep, the body breaks down and the person suffers constant pain or F. Therefore the only way the conclusion holds true is if deep sleep is necessary to avoid F. Or, as answer (C) has it:

(C) Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.

If we go by your post then argument 2 states
F is caused by lack of X

So how can the assumption be
Lack of X causes F

Isn't it already stated in the argument. Merely restating the argument doesn't count as an assumption. This is an inference from the passage.
Assumption must be something that is not stated in the passage.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 01:38
I disagree with C and I agree with others that have noted this question is poorly written.

It doesn't know if it wants to be an inference, strengthen or assumption question.

Not really impressed with the quality of the GMAT Club verbal questions. The quant stuff is pretty good. Easier to write quant questions I guess.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 16:26
Can any one help me to find the relationship between "Deep Sleep" and "Fibromyalgia" ?
according to the passage : depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia by interfering with "stage 4," or "deep sleep. i understood that "depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency " can cause "Fibromyalgia". then what about the DEEP SLEEP part ? how to understand that the lack of sleep causes fibromyalgia ?

Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of fibromyalgia, a disorder that causes body-wide chronic pain and fatigue. One leading theory holds that conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia by interfering with "stage 4," or "deep sleep." This theory is concerned with the function of neuropeptide substance P, which is released in the spinal cord in response to pain and causes nerve endings around the initiating nerves to also become more sensitive to pain. Normally, this mechanism is "reset" during deep sleep. If pain becomes body-wide, however, and the mechanism can not be reset, this process may run out of control.

The theory above on the cause of fibromyalgia rests on which of the following assumptions?

a. The body has a limited amount of control over neuropeptide substance P.
b. Fibromyalgia is a completely preventable disorder, if only other conditions are recognized and treated before it can develop.
c. Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.
d. The functions of neuropeptides released by the spinal cord must be better understood before a cure for fibromyalgia can be found.
e. Because the causes of fibromyalgia are linked to depression, the disorder should be treated by mental health professionals.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 195

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 5

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 11:34
Expert's post
I'm with you guys - I don't like C for the answer because it just restates an existing premise (lack of deep sleep interferes with nervous system reset of Neuro P). Option A seems viable to me as an assumption.

I lay out the argument logically as follows:

Depression/Anxiety/Serotonin Def. --> No Deep Sleep --> No reset of Neuro P --> Fibro

The lack of reset of Neuro P seems to be the ultimate cause of Fibro. In order to believe the argument that Depression (etc.) lead to Fibro through lack of sleep then I have to believe that the body has no other means for resetting the Neuro P other than deep sleep. Option A states that the body has limited control of Neuro P, so the argument logic would hold.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 195

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 5

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 11:36
Expert's post
shagalo wrote:
Can any one help me to find the relationship between "Deep Sleep" and "Fibromyalgia" ?
according to the passage : depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia by interfering with "stage 4," or "deep sleep. i understood that "depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency " can cause "Fibromyalgia". then what about the DEEP SLEEP part ? how to understand that the lack of sleep causes fibromyalgia ?

Can you see through the logic string below how lack of deep sleep causes Fibro?

Depression/Anxiety/Serotonin Def. --> No Deep Sleep --> No reset of Neuro P --> Fibro

It's the lack of deep sleep that doesn't allow for the reset of neuro P, leading to Fibro...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 11:36