Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 2

Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (02:49) correct 58% (02:09) wrong based on 589 sessions
Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of fibromyalgia, a disorder that causes body-wide chronic pain and fatigue. One leading theory holds that conditions such as depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can aggravate or even cause fibromyalgia by interfering with "stage 4," or "deep sleep." This theory is concerned with the function of neuropeptide substance P, which is released in the spinal cord in response to pain and causes nerve endings around the initiating nerves to also become more sensitive to pain. Normally, this mechanism is "reset" during deep sleep. If pain becomes body-wide, however, and the mechanism can not be reset, this process may run out of control.

The theory above on the cause of fibromyalgia rests on which of the following assumptions?

a. The body has a limited amount of control over neuropeptide substance P.
b. Fibromyalgia is a completely preventable disorder, if only other conditions are recognized and treated before it can develop.
c. Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.
d. The functions of neuropeptides released by the spinal cord must be better understood before a cure for fibromyalgia can be found.
e. Because the causes of fibromyalgia are linked to depression, the disorder should be treated by mental health professionals.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 11:38
C sounds more like a conclusion than an assumption. I guess we will need experts to help us... I was tending towards A on this one.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 6

Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Fibromyalgia (F) is caused when depression, anxiety, serotonin deficiency interfers with 'deep sleep'.

Nueropeptide substabce P is released in response to pain making the nerves more sensitive to pain. (process)

The above process is reset during 'deep sleep'.....meaning the pain subsides or is gone during 'deep sleep' and hence no P is released and thus no fybromylagia is caused.

'deep sleep' is related to Fybro.... and 'deep sleep' also plays some role when depression, anxiety, serotonin deficiency intefers with it.....depression, anxiety, serotonin deficiency (nervous system).

Hence the assumption that 'deep sleep' is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.

A is irrelevant.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 09:04
I think B fits better

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:00
C = it is. in deep sleep this will get reset...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
C is a premise already stated the stem, it is more of a conclusion than an assumption. A is much better. Because negating A, we get that the body would have an unlimited control of the subtance P or whatever. Then the body would reset the process regardless and deep sleep would not be an issue at stake. The passage suggests that a body's control over substance P is limited toa deep sleep. Am I not right?

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:59
rlevochkin wrote:
C is a premise already stated the stem, it is more of a conclusion than an assumption. A is much better. Because negating A, we get that the body would have an unlimited control of the subtance P or whatever. Then the body would reset the process regardless and deep sleep would not be an issue at stake. The passage suggests that a body's control over substance P is limited toa deep sleep. Am I not right?

Quote:
C = it is. in deep sleep this will get reset...

It is not the premise. It is not the conclusion. conclusion is that the "mechanism" related to substance P is not getting reset (resulting in sensitivity to pain / body-wide chronic pain).

Assumption deals with WHY the process is not resetting. Because the body is not getting deep sleep, the mechanism is not getting reset.

Premises + Assumption (lack of sleep) = Conclusion (no resetting hence, sensitivity to pain)

Since the assumption is lack of deep sleep. it is taken a step forward and says - deep sleep imp for nervous system (though I agree that the assumption is stretched a bit).

I used POE, and was only left with C, and then it made sense.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 14:03
dwivedys wrote:
C sounds more like a conclusion than an assumption. I guess we will need experts to help us... I was tending towards A on this one.

For A to be correct, how did u infer that the body has a limited amount of control over neuropeptide substance P ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 14:05
kidchaos wrote:
I think B fits better

Assumption was never that this can be cured (really stretching it too far). Assumption is more related to the phenomenon that is described in the statement.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 18:37
Between A and C.

I think this question is worded wrongly. It should be asking for something else not the Assumption. B, D, E clearly out of the mark for Assumption.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 138 [1] , given: 104

Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 19:20
This post received
KUDOS
No this question is correctly worded. And the real argument is between A and C.

Negating A gives 2 things - Body has infinite control or body has zero control. So which one do you take? Clearly body does not have infinite control or else it would have stopped the release irrespective of deep sleep.

C is clearer and we can arrive at it by elimination ... it doesn't jump out.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 01:29
C i think
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 974

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:45
We can get an appropriate assumption by negation. Let's check it by the formula of "cause and effect" and an assumption must be connected to both of them and hence, render their necessary condition. Here has to follow:

According to the second premise depression, anxiety, drug use and serotonin deficiency can be causes of fibromyalgia which turns to be an effect. Moreover, in the last premise there is written that "If pain becomes body-wide, however, and the mechanism can not be reset, this process may run out of control". It means that when pain becomes body-wide, the release of the substance P runs out of control which denotes that the body is not able to exert a full control over release of neuropeptide substance in the case of fibromialgya.

Now we will negate the choice "a" and in the result it looks so --> "the body has an unlimited control over neuropeptide substance P". Herewith we have eliminated the main point of the theory, namely "If pain becomes body-wide, however, and the mechanism can not be reset, this process may run out of control".

Thus, the choice "a" is an appropriate assumptiom because by negating it we rebut not only the connection between cause and effect, but also completely destroy what holds true according to the theory given in the text.

b. Fibromyalgia is a completely preventable disorder, if only other conditions are recognized and treated before it can develop.
Even if to negate this assumption, the connection between the effect (fibromialgia) and the causes (depression, anxiety, drug use, serotonin deficiency) will not be effected. We can reveal that this assumption asserts "only other conditions" which can mean some conditions but not all

By negation of the assumptions in c, d, e we are still unable to destroy the main points of the theory. Check yourself! It follows that the theory is not conditioned upon them.

c. Deep sleep is necessary to the healthy functioning of the nervous system.
d. The functions of neuropeptides released by the spinal cord must be better understood before a cure for fibromyalgia can be found.
e. Because the causes of fibromyalgia are linked to depression, the disorder should be treated by mental health professionals.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 00:10
I vote for C
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 21:50
i dont think C is an assumption. use negation technique and check for yourselves

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 23:54
If the body can control neuropeptide-P even after it has been released, the "out of control" situation can be avoided. Since the body can not control it after it has been "released", deep sleep is necessary to reset (read as control/reverse the release??).
A it seems.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fibromyalgia [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 07:47
C seems way too general to be an assumption.

Not the best written question -- in my humble opinion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 05:57
It seems A to me.

C seems to be more of a conclusion than an assumption? Can someone please post the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:42
C - boz that is close to the arugment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 31

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:04
selected A couldnot find anything closer

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Re: Scientists have several rival theories on the causes of   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2012, 07:04