Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2016, 09:27
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 228
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 272 [2] , given: 46

Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2012, 11:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:30) correct 40% (01:27) wrong based on 245 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder hypothesized that d obesity was a predisposing factor in the development of the disease. A study of twenty patients found that, on average, the patients were close to the normal weight for their height.

Before concluding that obesity is not a predisposing factor, the researchers would find the answer to which of the following questions most useful?

A. Are the patients above or below normal height?
B. Were any of the patients underweight when the disorder was diagnosed?
C. Does weight loss reduce the severity of the symptoms?
D. Have the patients always been close to the normal weight for their heights?
E. How many of the patients had obese parents?

Need explanation.............
If you find this post helpful don`t forget to give kudos
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3260
Followers: 1092

Kudos [?]: 4779 [0], given: 53

Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2012, 12:28
Expert's post
Dear mun23

A few questions.

"... hypothesized that d obesity ...."
Is that "d" just a misprint, or does it denote some category of obesity that might be relevant to the question?

".... A study of twenty patients found ..."
Were these 20 patients all of whom were know to have the disorder? Twenty patients known to have a predisposition to the order? What was the selection criterion for these 20 patients?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2012, 13:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
mun23 wrote:
Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder hypothesized that d obesity was a predisposing factor in the development of the disease. A study of twenty patients found that, on average, the patients were close to the normal weight for their height.

Before concluding that obesity is not a predisposing factor, the researchers would find the answer to which of the following questions most useful?

A. Are the patients above or below normal height?
B. Were any of the patients underweight when the disorder was diagnosed?
C. Does weight loss reduce the severity of the symptoms?
D. Have the patients always been close to the normal weight for their heights?
E. How many of the patients had obese parents?

Need explanation.............
If you find this post helpful don`t forget to give kudos


A) - Their height has nothing to do with the issue since their weight is adjusted based on their height in the study "the patients were close to the normal weight for their height"
B) - Being the opposite of obesity when diagnosed does not rule out that obesity could be a predisposing factor. Even if this one was true, then you could say being underweight or overweight could be a predisposing factor.
C) - Even if weight loss reduces the symptoms, they already have the disease. The scientists are concerned about a predisposing factor, not reducing symptoms. Irrelevant.
D) - This one is correct. The scientists are looking at the patient's current weight, not what weight they were before being diagnosed, which is not discussed in this article. For example, they could all have been 300 lbs a year ago when diagnosed, but treatment for this disease and side effects could have caused them to all be close to normal weight now.
E) - Irrelevant. The parent's weight is not what is of concern, but the patient's weight. The parent's weight could still be an issue, but that is not what the question is concerned about.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 2035
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q0 V
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 355

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2014, 11:09
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear mun23

A few questions.

"... hypothesized that d obesity ...."
Is that "d" just a misprint, or does it denote some category of obesity that might be relevant to the question?

".... A study of twenty patients found ..."
Were these 20 patients all of whom were know to have the disorder? Twenty patients known to have a predisposition to the order? What was the selection criterion for these 20 patients?

Mike :-)


Mike I agree with you, there's something fishy with this question, let's wait for someone to confirm these doubts
Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 132
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 66

CAT Tests
Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 05:59
Can you please specify the source ?
_________________

" The few , the fearless "

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3260
Followers: 1092

Kudos [?]: 4779 [0], given: 53

Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 11:06
Expert's post
spetznaz wrote:
Can you please specify the source ?

Dear spetznaz,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I did a web search and found a company named "Major Tests." The question appears there, so I assume folks at this company are the authors.
http://www.majortests.com/gmat/critical ... ing_test03
I have never heard of this company before, but this question doesn't really impress me.

Especially with GMAT Verbal content, it is very important to work primarily with official material and with the material of high quality GMAT preparation companies. MGMAT and Magoosh have excellent questions and many Veritas questions are very good. Some other companies have very questionable material, and working with questionable GMAT Verbal practice questions won't necessarily help you. Again, I know almost nothing about this particular company.

I hope this helps.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 132
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 66

CAT Tests
Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 08:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
spetznaz wrote:
Can you please specify the source ?

Dear spetznaz,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I did a web search and found a company named "Major Tests." The question appears there, so I assume folks at this company are the authors.
http://www.majortests.com/gmat/critical ... ing_test03
I have never heard of this company before, but this question doesn't really impress me.

Especially with GMAT Verbal content, it is very important to work primarily with official material and with the material of high quality GMAT preparation companies. MGMAT and Magoosh have excellent questions and many Veritas questions are very good. Some other companies have very questionable material, and working with questionable GMAT Verbal practice questions won't necessarily help you. Again, I know almost nothing about this particular company.

I hope this helps.
Mike :-)


Hey Mike ! Thanks for the clarification :)
_________________

" The few , the fearless "

Re: Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder   [#permalink] 11 May 2016, 08:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A group of scientists studying calcium metabolism in noboru 6 05 Jun 2010, 07:51
7 A group of scientists studying calcium metabolism in sondenso 12 19 May 2009, 00:09
1 Lathyrism, a debilitating neurological disorder caused by nitya34 9 10 Mar 2009, 10:47
1 Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a condition perfectstranger 4 19 Jul 2008, 07:50
CR Metabollic rate mahesh004 9 01 Oct 2006, 21:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scientists investigating a rare metabolic disorder

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.