Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists studying climate change have found that one of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 13:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:52) correct 49% (01:53) wrong based on 83 sessions
Scientists studying climate change have found that one of the overall effects of global warming is not only a higher planetary temperature, but also a universal change in seasons, specifically earlier springs and later autumns. Though some argue that this is an advantage because it presents a longer summer growing season, others fear that too many animal species will be unable to adapt and will become extinct.

Which of the following is the best piece of evidence to support the conclusion that a longer growing season will hasten the extinction of some animal species?

-Squirrel and chipmunk species are unable either to consume or to store all the nuts and berries produced during a longer growing season.
-Fungus species typically produce spores only once a year and are unable to produce enough spores to release spores again before the end of a longer growing season.
-Butterfly species that respond quickly to changes in temperature hatch caterpillars and undergo metamorphosis into butterflies earlier, flying away before bird species that feed exclusively on them have hatched their young.
-Salmon species that rely on changes in temperature to signal the start of annual migrations leave their freshwater birthplaces earlier, before they have fed sufficiently on freshwater insects to reduce their number.
-Reptile species that hibernate during winter months must emerge from hibernation sooner and spend a longer time searching for food before mating in mid-summer.

Can someone provide a detail explanation and method to deal with such questions?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 12 Aug 2013, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Rename the topic.
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [3] , given: 122

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of the overall effects of global warming is not only a higher planetary temperature, but also a universal change in seasons, specifically earlier springs and later autumns.
Conclusion: Though some argue that this is an advantage because it presents a longer summer growing season, others fear that too many animal species will be unable to adapt and will become extinct.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

-Squirrel and chipmunk species are unable either to consume or to store all the nuts and berries produced during a longer growing season.
Wrong. A shows the “preferred” condition for Squirrel and chipmunk because they will have more food.

-Fungus species typically produce spores only once a year and are unable to produce enough spores to release spores again before the end of a longer growing season.
Wrong. SHELL GAME. The logic is correct, but Fungus is not animal.

-Butterfly species that respond quickly to changes in temperature hatch caterpillars and undergo metamorphosis into butterflies earlier, flying away before bird species that feed exclusively on them have hatched their young.
CorrectThe early growth of butterfly indirectly leads to the extinction of bird.

-Salmon species that rely on changes in temperature to signal the start of annual migrations leave their freshwater birthplaces earlier, before they have fed sufficiently on freshwater insects to reduce their number.
Wrong. D indicates that Salmons will not reduce their number.

-Reptile species that hibernate during winter months must emerge from hibernation sooner and spend a longer time searching for food before mating in mid-summer.
Wrong. Nothing to indicate that reptile will be extinct. E just tells the fact that Reptiles have to change their searching food habit.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 02:03
pqhai wrote:

I got to C pretty easily but wanted to address this. From a scientific perspective, this is right but I think the statement is a poor choice even without that logic. Let's assume Fungus is an animal...all this seems to imply is that they "reproduce" once a year and during the long growing season, there is not enough time for the new offspring to mature in time to reproduce again. (But that doesn't mean the offspring won't produce spores later in time or the following growing season)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 13:20
ProleFeed13 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

I got to C pretty easily but wanted to address this. From a scientific perspective, this is right but I think the statement is a poor choice even without that logic. Let's assume Fungus is an animal...all this seems to imply is that they "reproduce" once a year and during the long growing season, there is not enough time for the new offspring to mature in time to reproduce again. (But that doesn't mean the offspring won't produce spores later in time or the following growing season)

Yes, You're right. There are many ways to eliminate a wrong answers. According to GMAT standards, a wrong answer always has more than one errors. You only need to attack one point to undermine the incorrect answer. One shot is enough :)

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Current Student

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 13:43
pqhai wrote:
ProleFeed13 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Yes, You're right. There are many ways to eliminate a wrong answers. According to GMAT standards, a wrong answer always has more than one errors. You only need to attack one point to undermine the incorrect answer. One shot is enough :)

Interesting, I didn't know the multiple error aspect; forgive me because I just started my GMAT prep and have focused on math so far. Is it the case that in the verbal section (or CR), you can occasionally rule out choices based on outside knowledge? I thought (or assumed :) ) that you must evaluate arguments based solely on the logic of the information given without regard for the truth or possibility of statements based on outside knowledge. If so, it makes a huge difference as your error can be spotted in about 1 second whereas my error as described takes much more thought to deduce.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
ProleFeed13 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know the multiple error aspect; forgive me because I just started my GMAT prep and have focused on math so far. Is it the case that in the verbal section (or CR), you can occasionally rule out choices based on outside knowledge? I thought (or assumed :) ) that you must evaluate arguments based solely on the logic of the information given without regard for the truth or possibility of statements based on outside knowledge. If so, it makes a huge difference as your error can be spotted in about 1 second whereas my error as described takes much more thought to deduce.

Hi ProleFeed13
I don't think you have just started GMAT :) your logical thinking is very GOOD. The rule of GMAT is never use our outside knowledge to apply to questions, only the logic works. However, it does not mean outside knowledge is NOT important. Some "hard" questions require you to have some backgrounds such as economic, business, science, or even quant .... (only at the beginning level, GMAT never asks you to do complex calculations). Although GMAT focuses on the logic, the outside knowledge (as I mention above) actually is the most logical thing itself. If its' not, it can't be accepted.
Best!

Current Student

Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 15:20
pqhai wrote:

Hi ProleFeed13
I don't think you have just started GMAT :) your logical thinking is very GOOD. The rule of GMAT is never use our outside knowledge to apply to questions, only the logic works. However, it does not mean outside knowledge is NOT important. Some "hard" questions require you to have some backgrounds such as economic, business, science, or even quant .... (only at the beginning level, GMAT never asks you to do complex calculations). Although GMAT focuses on the logic, the outside knowledge (as I mention above) actually is the most logical thing itself. If its' not, it can't be accepted.
Best!

Ahh, thanks--makes sense. By the way, I'm a licensed attorney so I should hope so!
Re: Scientists studying climate change have found that one of   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 15:20