Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [41]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [4]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [4]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ArupRS wrote:
generis : can you please explain why option B is correct?
Can "that" be used to modify slightly away noun/ noun before prepositional phrase? I thought we can use only "which" not "that".

ArupRS , yes, "that" can modify a slightly far away noun,
although that scenario is fairly rare on the GMAT.
Your question is good. +1
I suspect that people who avoided option B did so because they, too, had doubts.

You are correct: the word "that" is an essential modifier of curvature.
Yes, that can "jump" over the prepositional phrase to the subject.

The underlined portion is an appositive that defines scoliosis.

• At times, just as "which" does, the word "that" must "jump over" a prepositional phrase

Although the GMAT rarely uses a "that" disconnected from its subject,
this question is a good example of a construction in which it is okay for that to be separated from its noun.

The sentence with B inserted:

Scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line, can cause heart and lung problems as well as physical deformity.

We have two vital or essential modifiers of "curvature."
(1) of the spine
(2) that throws the body out of line

The first modifier, the prepositional phrase, cannot be placed in a different position.

..an abnormal of the spine curvature :(

..an abnormal curvature that throws the body out of line of the spine :(

• Takeaway: In cases such as this one, "that" can and does modify a subject that is not right next to the word "that."

We understand that the what throws the body out of line is the abnormal curvature.
"The spine" does not throw the body out of line.

In the blog portion of this article , someone asks a question like yours, here.

HERE is the reply by Mike McGarry.
I like the example that he uses.
Correct: This is a book about kangaroos that I found in the library.
mikemcgarry writes "— in that sentence, it’s very clear I found the book, not the kangaroos, in the library." :)

The structure of this sentence (with option B) is very similar. And correct. :)

Hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [9]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the body out of line, can cause heart and lung problems as well as physical deformity

A. a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the body out of line

B. an abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line

C. a condition of the spine curving abnormally and in which the body is thrown out of line

D. where the body is thrown out of line by an abnormal curvature of the spine

E. a condition of an abnormal curvature of the spine throwing the body out of line

• Option A: Use "when" as a relative pronoun only for actual time or time periods
-- to describe a condition, use "in which" instead
-- But do not automatically eliminate answers with a "when" that is not an actual time. Check. Such answers could be a hidden conditional, this way:
----> If it rains, then the grass will get wet. Also correct: WHEN it rains, the grass will get wet. Zero conditionals can and often do contain when because they are always true.
-- In this case, "when" is not a hidden conditional. Use "in which," though the phrase is not as clear as the logic in (B). See (C)

• Option B: correct

• Option C
-- a condition of the is not correct. (Correct: condition "in which")
-- Further, if we put aside the "of the" error, a condition of the spine curving abnormally should state
a condition of the spine's curving abnormally . . .
-- A noun or pronoun placed before a gerund is called the "subject" of the gerund.
-- That noun tells what or who is doing the gerund. The subject of the gerund should be in possessive form. (The construction often sounds weird.)
Linus objected to Sally's stealing his blanket, even though she wanted only to wash it.
-- the gerund is curving. Subject of the gerund: spine (the spine is doing the curving)
- "the spine's curving" is correct

-- Finally, "and in which" is not as clear as the logically direct clause in (B), X that causes Y

• Option D: GMAC is strict—where is used only for actual places.

• Option E
-- for ailments: a condition "of an abnormal curvature of the spine" is unidiomatic and here, nonsensical.
-- We can use "condition of" at times ("on condition of anonymity" or "a condition of the contract"), but for an ailment the idiomatic construction is "a condition in which" or "a condition that"
-- The condition is not OF an abnormal curvature of the spine; the condition IS an abnormal curvature of the spine.

(BTW, if the rest of the sentence were correct, throwing [i.e., that throws] the body out of line would be fine as an essential modifier that is a bit far from its noun "condition," just as "that" is fine in (B).
Any vital modifier can "jump" over a vital prepositional phrase to get to the modifier's subject if meaning is clear and the prepositional phrase cannot be placed differently.)

In correct option B, we have
-- Scoliosis [subject]
-- an abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line [appositive]
-- can cause problems [verb and object]

Answer B
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the body out of line, can cause heart and lung problems as well as physical deformity

C. a condition of the spine curving abnormally and in which the body is thrown out of line

E. a condition of an abnormal curvature of the spine throwing the body out of line

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

B

When should be used only for references to a time, and where should be used only for references to a place, so (A) and (D) are incorrect. (C) and (E) are wordy and awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Scoliosis, a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
generis : can you please explain why option B is correct?
Can "that" be used to modify slightly away noun/ noun before prepositional phrase? I thought we can use only "which" not "that".

ArupRS , yes, "that" can modify a slightly far away noun,
although that scenario is fairly rare on the GMAT.
Your question is good. +1
I suspect that people who avoided option B did so because they, too, had doubts.

You are correct: the word "that" is an essential modifier of curvature.
Yes, that can "jump" over the prepositional phrase to the subject.

The underlined portion is an appositive that defines scoliosis.

• At times, just as "which" does, the word "that" must "jump over" a prepositional phrase

Although the GMAT rarely uses a "that" disconnected from its subject,
this question is a good example of a construction in which it is okay for that to be separated from its noun.

The sentence with B inserted:

Scoliosis, an abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line, can cause heart and lung problems as well as physical deformity.

We have two vital or essential modifiers of "curvature."
(1) of the spine
(2) that throws the body out of line

The first modifier, the prepositional phrase, cannot be placed in a different position.

..an abnormal of the spine curvature :(

..an abnormal curvature that throws the body out of line of the spine :(

• Takeaway: In cases such as this one, "that" can and does modify a subject that is not right next to the word "that."

We understand that the what throws the body out of line is the abnormal curvature.
"The spine" does not throw the body out of line.

In the blog portion of this article , someone asks a question like yours, here.

HERE is the reply by Mike McGarry.
I like the example that he uses.
Correct: This is a book about kangaroos that I found in the library.
mikemcgarry writes "— in that sentence, it’s very clear I found the book, not the kangaroos, in the library." :)

The structure of this sentence (with option B) is very similar. And correct. :)

Hope that helps.

aragonn Thank you so much.
generis : Thank you so much for sharing the link. Indeed, a stupendous post from mikemcgarry. Even more was the discussion that followed.
Although I saw you guys reply, I had to save the reading for the weekend, because to comprehend these articles, quiet contemplation is required.

Thanks,
Arup
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM

A. a condition when the spine curves abnormally and throws the body out of line --> use of "when" isn't correct here

B. an abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line --> correct: usage of "that" is correct here to modify the "curvature"

C. a condition of the spine curving abnormally and in which the body is thrown out of line --> "a condition" & "in which" aren't parallel

D. where the body is thrown out of line by an abnormal curvature of the spine --> "where" can't be used as a relative pronoun for a condition(Scoliosis)

E. a condition of an abnormal curvature of the spine throwing the body out of line --> spin doesn't through the bod out of line, the condition does!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
we do not need "condition" in choice E. so, it is redundant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

How is B the OA
Scoliosis is a condition not an abnormal curvature
B has modifier error
Can someone explain this ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello team,

Please explain why 'condition of an abnormal curvature' is wrong in explaining Scoliosis in option e ?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello team,

Please explain why 'condition of an abnormal curvature' is wrong in explaining Scoliosis in option e ?

Here's the relevant portion of the (E) version.

Scoliosis, a condition of an abnormal curvature of the spine throwing the body out of line

There are two main issues.

One is that "a condition of an abnormal curvature of the spine" suggests the illogical idea that an abnormal curvature has a condition.

The other is that "an abnormal curvature of the spine throwing the body out of line" reads as if it's meant to convey the illogical meaning that the spine is throwing the body out of line, rather than the curvature.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello team,

Hello, VKat. When we see the phrase a condition of in this sort of context, we anticipate a noun that will tell us where that condition occurs within the body. For example, we could write, Cirrhosis, a condition of the liver... Notice how this phrase differs from the one we see above: a condition of an abnormal curvature. A curvature is not an organ or some physiological process. If the sentence means to describe the condition, then a condition of simply will not work. We would expect to see a condition in which or some other type of modifier (e.g., that or even an -ing phrase) instead.

That said, the phrasing of the OA is problematic. Scoliosis is, in fact, a condition, and an abnormal curvature in answer choice (B), on its own, without being prefaced, becomes an appositive phrase, and it should be interchangeable with the noun it describes. Test:

An abnormal curvature of the spine that throws the body out of line, scoliosis, can cause heart and lung problems...

In this inverted structure, we would still need a condition known as to precede scoliosis to avoid the nonsensical interpretation that scoliosis is synonymous with some sort of curvature. Note that I am not disagreeing that there are issues in each of the other options, just that answer choice (B) is not without its own.

This is a common feature in questions by third parties. The question may be written with certain flaws in mind for the incorrect answer choices, but not enough attention is paid to ensuring that the supposedly correct answer is, in fact, correct. Such questions may be somewhat misleading to someone who comes across them in preparation, so I advocate sticking to official questions as much as possible.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts