Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 07:04
I need to help here... i had my first gmat exam today with a low score 540!

I studied almost 10 hrs a day since 1 Sept.. I took a short GMAT course in one of the school here.. so i am ok with CR, AWA and reading but i need some major help on maths and SC.

I am considering to retake the exam at end of Oct.

is there any good online course that I could attend while i am at Hong Kong right now?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 07:18
10 hours a day for the past 20 or so days is a recipe for burnout in spectacular fashion. Unless you're especially different from most people, I'd venture to guess the first 3-5 hours (for the first few days) were productive, while the last 5-7 you were probably burned out to the point where you were A) no longer learning anything B) actually regressing due to fatigue or C) so tired that you were learning things incorrectly, especially after 8 or 9 consecutive days of putting yourself through such mental abuse.

Go back to the drawing board and start over, budgeting around 2 hours per day on weekdays and 4-5 on weekends. And make sure you give yourself a day off every 2 weeks or so. Take an online class, like MGMAT, if you want, and start working on a 2-3 month program to get your score up. It won't happen overnight, and at this point if you were expecting to apply R1 for this fall, it's probably a bridge too far.
Intern
Intern

Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 07:30
i am planning to apply for Fall 2012... what about if i take another exam at end of Oct or early Nov?

the thing is ... i studied at new zealand before which the math i learned during my high school years and Uni was very simple.. so there is a big gap on the math area..

and i left school almost 10 years..

its gonna be hard for me..

and totally agree with you.. i was so stress on the last 20 days .. wake up at the morning.. learn... lunch.. learn for another 4 hrs.. dinner.. relax for 2 hrs.. study till 2am ..
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5364 [0], given: 165

Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 21:27
Expert's post
shirley916 wrote:
i am planning to apply for Fall 2012... what about if i take another exam at end of Oct or early Nov?

the thing is ... i studied at new zealand before which the math i learned during my high school years and Uni was very simple.. so there is a big gap on the math area..

and i left school almost 10 years..

its gonna be hard for me..

and totally agree with you.. i was so stress on the last 20 days .. wake up at the morning.. learn... lunch.. learn for another 4 hrs.. dinner.. relax for 2 hrs.. study till 2am ..

In my opinion, GMAT is not an exam where working hard for a few days will increase your score dramatically. What makes a difference is consistent work for a few hrs a day, 5 or 6 days in a week over 2-3 months. GMAT does not test your knowledge per se hence you can't just 'learn stuff up' and regurgitate in the exam. You need to understand the concepts and be able to apply them in new circumstances. That takes familiarity with the concepts which comes with consistent practice over time. Focus, not on memorizing, but on understanding. Also, don't overdo it. Put in a maximum of 2 hrs on Quant and 2 hrs on Verbal each day (but not on all 7 days - take at least a day off) You will feel fresh and things will make more sense. Make sure your basic Math is good before you move on to trickier topics e.g. make sure you know how to solve quadratic equations and simultaneous equations before you start working on word problems (else you will feel very discouraged).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 21:51
thanks so much for your tips.
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 07:18
shirley916 wrote:
is there any good online course that I could attend while i am at Hong Kong right now?

Manhattan GMAT offers online courses that take place at convenient times for Hong Kong students. You can check out the full schedule here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/hong-kong-classes.cfm#

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Score 540! I need some help.. which online course is the bes   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2011, 07:18