Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
GPA: 2.88
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 17

Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,
I've been reading lots of debriefs for months, I find these debriefs extremely helpful in term of materials and test strategies. After 6 months of preparation for GMAT, I study almost full-time since I only have a part-time job at weekend.
Last month, I took all courage to register for GMAT test which happened yesterday. I scored a pathetic 580 - a score even in my nightmare I couldn't imagine!!!
I read all the suggested books by successful test takers which are MGMAT SC and some other MGMAT books, Powerscore CR bible, Kaplan Premier, Kaplan 800. I had intensive study 3 weeks before the exam. I finished the first 200 SC in 1000SC, 10 tests set in 1000CR and do all the CR and SC questions in the OG 13 again.

My practice test scores before the real test (in order):
GMAT prep 1: 590 (Q47, V25) (2 months before the real test)
800score test 1: 650
GMAT prep 2: 640 (Q48, V30)
MGMAT 1: 660 (Q45, V35)
GMAT prep 1: 700 (Q48, V37)

I haven't tried any other CAT practice tests, since the test day was approaching.
Unlike other test takers who get around 500+, in the test day, I felt perfectly good. I went to bed early the night before, ate noodles in the morning and didn't forget to bring Redbull and chocolate with me to the test.

I didn't let the clock get to me either. Although in the Quant section, I had to guess a few questions and ran out of time a couple of last questions. In Verbal section, otherwise, I still had 4 minutes left in the last question. I had 4 RC passages in the exam. I found these 4 reading pieces not as difficult as I expected since during my preparation, some Reading passages are bombarded with terms and new words. These reading passages were like TOEFL reading passages. so I guess, I did it quite ok.
For SC, I find my preparation for this section is almost a waste of time because I had only 1 question with parallelism, the rest is mainly about idioms. For CR, I don't know whether I am overconfident or what, but I felt like I could spot my logical answer right away. That is why I still have 4 minutes left when I finish the Verbal section.
When the score screen pop up, I couldn't believe my eyes, it was 580, I thought I did pretty well on the test.

On the way back home, I couldn't figure out what went wrong in Verbal!
FYI, I had reviewed all the CR questions in OG 13. I had almost 90% correct answers and understood them quite well and usually spot correct answers right away. I brought this strategy to the test, but seem like it didn't work.
Now I'm so frustrated, I really don't know what went wrong. Also for my Quant, it usually has a stable 47,48 but it's ... only 45 for real test

Honestly, I'm so disappointed with myself that I don't want to take the test again. Moreover, now I don't work full time anymore, the fee test is also a problem for me. I'm wondering that anyone has the same feeling as me?!!
Sorry for whining this long but I'm very upset now :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 03:18
Hi Rocket1112,

I had a somewhat similar issue in verbal as yours.
R u planning to give GMAT again or have already given ,if yes please let me know strategy to attach verbal section now?

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 21:53
Hi Harsh,
I'm not sure that I should retake GMAT or not, perhaps yes but not until my frustration has gone away. Right now I don't know any strategy to attack the challenging verbal section :(
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [1] , given: 6

Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 17:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rocket1112 wrote:
Hi Harsh,
I'm not sure that I should retake GMAT or not, perhaps yes but not until my frustration has gone away. Right now I don't know any strategy to attack the challenging verbal section :(

hi rocket1112,

Take a look at these 2 videos to see if they are helpful for your verbal needs:

http://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

http://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

With the second video, we use visual diagrams to outline what the passage is saying and what you should be thinking of before you go through the answer choices.

Verbal is not easy to improve, but there are certainly framework approaches that you can use to think about various types of questions in a way that will save you time and help you better understand all the gibberish that is being printed on the screen.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-07-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 4

Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
rocket1112 wrote:
Hi Harsh,

What I would suggest is, take a week/few weeks off, get your thoughts together, and get over this GMAT attempt. After you have cleared your mind, start again, and this time focus mainly on Verbal, while practicing Quant stuff. Get a few free CAT tests which are available on the internet and then see where you stand.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 20:44
To GMATPill and coolredwine,
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'm retaking the test. I hope I will ace the verbal part this time.
Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 09:05
GMATPill wrote:
rocket1112 wrote:
Hi Harsh,

hi rocket1112,

Take a look at these 2 videos to see if they are helpful for your verbal needs:

With the second video, we use visual diagrams to outline what the passage is saying and what you should be thinking of before you go through the answer choices.

Verbal is not easy to improve, but there are certainly framework approaches that you can use to think about various types of questions in a way that will save you time and help you better understand all the gibberish that is being printed on the screen.

Hope that helps.

thanks man, that 2nd video was very helpful. I always get stumped on 50% of the "if true" CRs.
Re: Score 580 on GMAT (Q45, V25) and don't understand why?!   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2014, 09:05