Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:08
Hey everyone!!! I stumbled upon this forum after learning of my disappointing score a week ago. I was looking for people with similar scores and stories and what they did to improve. I am looking into getting an MSIS degree. The program is fairly new and there isn't a whole lot of people applying but they still want a minimum 550 score. I feel like my essays are strong, my work experience is great, and my recommendations are good as well. I was in that range in all of my practice tests but did very bad on the actual exam. I was hoping to get some direction from some of you veteran members. What route should I go to get above a 550 when I retake in a few months? I used a Princeton Review book the first time around but I am thinking of getting the OG 11 or 12 and then some Manhattan books as well. I got a 5.5 of my AWA and don't really want to do those essays again but I may have to. I would rather save the hours time and brain power to focus on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. I would appreciate any help and advice that you guys can give. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:35
OG Books are a MUST for gmat for practise problems.
Manhattan books - SC is almost must have. Heard that other books from manhattan are great for theory.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 12:44
Hi hartattack, don't worry about your test score and just focus on how to improve. To score a 550 or above, all you really need is an OG edition. The OG questions are real questions from past GMAT tests and will simulate up to a score 650 with the hardest questions. Since you're aiming for a 550 (or above), OG itself should be sufficient enough provided that you understand exactly why you miss a question. Take a few practice test from GMATPrep.

MGMAT books are very helpful; however, at this point and the score you're reaching for, I can't be too sure that you'll need those extra books. Having said that, if you do decide to get the MGMAT books, use them to your advantage. These books are very detail-oriented and should carry you up to at least 600 if you're being true to yourself.

Good luck! and visit this forum for any questions you may have or when you have extra time, just stop by and do a couple sentence corrections :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 13:42
Thanks bakfed, I think I'm going to go and get an OG book so I have plenty of practice questions and really review the concepts behind the questions this time. I think I focused too much on how to beat the GMAT rather than understand it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 13:25
I have the same bitter experience.

the only thing I got out of it for my next attempt - use gmatclub to the fullest.
I am planning Knewton classes
manhattan books
OG
basics basics and basics.......
periodic tests
timing and strategy

all the best.
Re: Score a 480!!!! Big disappointment!!!   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2010, 13:25