Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 03:44
Following up on a previous post that I made last week, here is a list of the CAT tests that I've done thus far and their results (the list is in the order by which the tests were taken, starting from the earliest. All tests were taken in consecutive days):

1. GMATPrep test #1: 750
2. Kaplan 2009 CD test #1: 620
3. Kaplan 2009 CD test #2: 640
4. Kaplan 2009 CD test #3: 630
5. MGMAT #1: 710
6. MGMAT #2: 690
7. MGMAT #3: 730
8. GMATPrep test #2: 760
9. MGMAT #4: 730

As you can see, Kaplan 2009 results do indeed have a substantial deviation from my non-Kaplan scoring area.

My problem is that despite my relatively good scores (putting Kaplan aside), I still feel like I have many weak areas (especially in Quantitative, where I have too many questions where I feel stumped). I'm aware that this is part of the idea behind GMAT (to test the limits of my capabilities), but I'm also worried that I still do not master the material the way I should be (I've only been studying for 3 weeks). Looking at the above scores, what is your estimation in relation to this (i.e. is it GMAT that's causing me to feel this way, or is it possible that I'm still not ready yet)?

My test is next week. Should I continue doing CATs until then, or would my time be better spent in studying the specific Quant areas in which I'm weaker (assume that I don't have sufficient time/energy to manage to do both in the time I have left)?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by gil123 on 04 May 2010, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 06:35
gil123 wrote:
Following up on a previous post that I made last week, here is a list of the CAT tests that I've done thus far and their results (the list is in the order by which the tests were taken, starting from the earliest. All tests were taken in consecutive days):

1. GMATPrep test #1: 750
2. Kaplan 2009 CD test #1: 620
3. Kaplan 2009 CD test #2: 640
4. Kaplan 2009 CD test #3: 630
5. MGMAT #1: 710
6. MGMAT #2: 690
7. MGMAT #3: 730
8. GMATPrep test #2: 760
9. MGMAT #4: 730

As you can see, Kaplan 2009 results do indeed have a substantial deviation from my non-Kaplan scoring area.

My problem is that despite my relatively good scores (putting Kaplan aside), I still feel like I have many week areas (especially in Quantitative, where I have too many questions where I feel stumped). I'm aware that this is part of the idea behind GMAT (to test the limits of my capabilities), but I'm also worried that I still do not master the material the way I should be (I've only been studying for 3 weeks). Looking at the above scores, what is your estimation in relation to this (i.e. is it GMAT that's causing me to feel this way, or is it possible that I'm still not ready yet)?

My test is next week. Should I continue doing CATs until then, or would my time be better spent in studying the specific Quant areas in which I'm weaker (assume that I don't have sufficient time/energy to manage to do both in the time I have left)?

Thanks for the input.

Pls have a look http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-estimate

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 08:12
3 weeks!! and those are your scores? amazing.

I think you just conviced me to throw my GMAT books and my desk out the window :-)

those are great scores.

quick question - how did you find the MGMAT quant section compared to the other tests, in particular the GMAT Prep?

In terms of your question, I find one can go through a lot more questions and concepts if you don't take tests, but do problem sets e.g. from the OG. When I do practice tests (4 hrs including AWA) I usually have to rest for an hour and then I review my mistakes and then the day is over and I only did 37 quant questions and 41 verbal - When i don't do practice tests I've been able to cover/review up to 120 questions a day.. so I find I learn a lot more when I do questions.. but thats just me!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 09:39
chambax wrote:
3 weeks!! and those are your scores? amazing.

I think you just conviced me to throw my GMAT books and my desk out the window :-)

those are great scores.

quick question - how did you find the MGMAT quant section compared to the other tests, in particular the GMAT Prep?

In terms of your question, I find one can go through a lot more questions and concepts if you don't take tests, but do problem sets e.g. from the OG. When I do practice tests (4 hrs including AWA) I usually have to rest for an hour and then I review my mistakes and then the day is over and I only did 37 quant questions and 41 verbal - When i don't do practice tests I've been able to cover/review up to 120 questions a day.. so I find I learn a lot more when I do questions.. but thats just me!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that into consideration (perhaps I'll take a short break from CATs over the weekend).

Unfortunately I found myself tight in time with deadlines etc., which left me with only about 4 weeks to study (three have gone by, one left). Wish I had another couple at least. In any case, don't throw away your books. :wink:

Regarding your question - I feel that MGMAT Quant is tougher than GMATPrep. The questions seem to be longer and/or more complicated (perhaps it's coincidental, but that's the impression I got). In both of the GMATPrep tests, I finished both sections with some spare time and felt good about what I have done. In MGMAT I find myself having some time shortage issues with the Quantitative section (in Verbal I still manage to finish with at least 4-5 minutes left). Kaplan was a totally different creature – very strange test and much tougher (even in Verbal, where the RCs seem to be unusually long and complicated compared to the other tests). You can argue that I did the Kaplan tests before the MGMAT and that I may have simply progressed, but that wouldn't coincide with the fact that I got 750 on the first GMATPrep before doing the first Kaplan.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 10:27
Your situation and scores are practically identical to mine and my test is next week too! I scored 760 on both GMATPreps, and 710 and 690 on the first 2 MGMAT tests. I stopped taking these cuz I was so frustrated with the verbal - I mentioned in another thread that I don't follow their logic and score in the high 30s while never going below 40 on other tests. I do find their Quant to require more time than other CATs but think the questions will serve me well for the actual test, rather than verbal which seems "off" not "harder."

I've been studying for almost 5 weeks although pretty hard core - I have a break before starting a new job so using the time in between to go all out.

Good luck to you next week!
Re: Score comparison - GMATPrep Vs. Kaplan Vs. MGMAT   [#permalink] 04 May 2010, 10:27