Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Score Drop in GMAT retake [#permalink]
risin1phoenix wrote:
And do you think I should explain it in my optional essay if I have nothing better to explain? Or should I just leave it alone and expect them to consider my 1st score?

How about your first score in 2007? Is it still near the average of the school you are applying to? If the first score is too low, then you will have to address the GMAT issue regardless.

Good luck,
Dawg
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No, my first score is marginally higher than the school average. (710; Q-50, V-37). My actual reason for retaking was something else. it'd sound stupid if i write here. But actually I was also considering a PhD in Finance, for which I'd have needed scores around 750 or above. I know someone would say that i should be clear abt what exactly I want. But believe me, I'm quite clear abt what I want and I wasn't looking for a career in academics after PhD.But anyway, now the PhD option seems almost zero, especially for top-20 schools. So I'm not even considering it. So getting back to my first query, how bad will it look now?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
risin1phoenix wrote:
No, my first score is marginally higher than the school average. (710; Q-50, V-37). My actual reason for retaking was something else. it'd sound stupid if i write here. But actually I was also considering a PhD in Finance, for which I'd have needed scores around 750 or above. I know someone would say that i should be clear abt what exactly I want. But believe me, I'm quite clear abt what I want and I wasn't looking for a career in academics after PhD.But anyway, now the PhD option seems almost zero, especially for top-20 schools. So I'm not even considering it. So getting back to my first query, how bad will it look now?

Ahh I see, makes sense why you retook then. I wouldn't even mention it. Your previous score is great. Most people write optional essays for their GMAT scores to explain low scores and how they compensate for it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i see... well there's always a risk in retaking once one gets 700+. more risk than rewards really. i wouldnt explain it in the essays though unless your retake score is like 500 or something
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok, thanks guys for the response. Still makes me a little scared abt it, specially since my verbal dropped a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
congrats on your original score - I doubt it will matter... Also just out of curiosity, from taking the exam in 2007 and taking it now, did you see any difference in regards to the complexity of the verbal portion. I only ask this because i originally studied for the exam in 2006-2007 then never took the exam.. came back in 2009 and 2010 took a class and took exam, but i find the verbal for whatever reason is getting harder.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah I agree. Even I felt the Verbal is getting harder. I just finished the Verbal section with 2 mins left. Previously it used to be somewhere between 10-15 mins. Even though my Quant was ok, there were at least 20 data sufficiency questions i faced. Previously it was more algebra.

But on 2nd thoughts, people are still getting scores around 750-770. So may be its just we who are getting slower
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts