Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 14:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score estimation - and some general questions! :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Score estimation - and some general questions! :) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 19:59
Hello buddies :)

Well, my exam is on Wednesday, and I have been preparing for it for less than a month (about 3 weeks) :( (Now I know that I had to start preparing long before :( ).

I solved all the questions in the OG 13th edition, and those in the official reviews (Verbal & quantitive).

A week ago I took my first simulation: the 1st (free) CAT in MGMAT.

Then I took a second one: the first of two from GMATPREP.

I decided to leave the second one to the last in order to gauge my improvement.

So, I bought the MGMAT CATS, and have solved 3 CATS so far. Today I am planning to do the last two.

My question is:

In this AMAZING club, there is a GMAT estimator tool, but it relies on supplying the scores from different companies CATS. Can I still use it to estimate my score based on my results from MGMAT CATS scores? Will it still be relevant to estimate where I stand?

Moreover:

I read in different threads that MGMAT CATS DO reflect one's level, and are considered relatively good in predicting the score. I also read that their quantitive sections are more difficult than the real one, whereas their verbal are easier. But, my strong are (like the majority here) is the quantitive! I started from 45 in MGMAT CATS, but in the last two I managed to get 48 and 47. On the other hand, in verbal, I get around the 35 (started from 30 in the first one) . So my question is: can I assume that because I managed to get 48 in MGMAT CATS, my actual total score would be lower than whan I get in those CATS? (assuming that ok I am good in quantitive, but I may get lower scores in verbal)?

My scores, so far, are as follow:

1. 610 - the 1st (free) MGMAT CAT (Q: 45, V: 30).
2. 640 - 1st GMATPREP simulation (Q: 49, V: 30).
3. 660 - the 2nd MGMAT CAT (Q: 46, V: 34).
4. 680 - the 3rd MGMAT CAT (Q: 48, V:35).
5. 680 - the 4th MGMAT CAT (Q:47, V: 36).

Now, I will take the 5th MGMAT CAT... Ii seems like I am relatively "steady" in my results, however, when I solve the questions in the exam itself, I don't feel like I am improving... I lack some self confidence...

It would be very appreciable, if some experienced persons, tell me what they think of my results, my improvements... what to anticipate, and so on!... I have 4 days left... And don't really know what is the best to do in them... Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for everyone :)))
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 786 [0], given: 82

Re: Score estimation - and some general questions! :) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 21:30
Expert's post
Hani wrote:
Hello buddies :)

Well, my exam is on Wednesday, and I have been preparing for it for less than a month (about 3 weeks) :( (Now I know that I had to start preparing long before :( ).

I solved all the questions in the OG 13th edition, and those in the official reviews (Verbal & quantitive).

A week ago I took my first simulation: the 1st (free) CAT in MGMAT.

Then I took a second one: the first of two from GMATPREP.

I decided to leave the second one to the last in order to gauge my improvement.

So, I bought the MGMAT CATS, and have solved 3 CATS so far. Today I am planning to do the last two.

My question is:

In this AMAZING club, there is a GMAT estimator tool, but it relies on supplying the scores from different companies CATS. Can I still use it to estimate my score based on my results from MGMAT CATS scores? Will it still be relevant to estimate where I stand?

Moreover:

I read in different threads that MGMAT CATS DO reflect one's level, and are considered relatively good in predicting the score. I also read that their quantitive sections are more difficult than the real one, whereas their verbal are easier. But, my strong are (like the majority here) is the quantitive! I started from 45 in MGMAT CATS, but in the last two I managed to get 48 and 47. On the other hand, in verbal, I get around the 35 (started from 30 in the first one) . So my question is: can I assume that because I managed to get 48 in MGMAT CATS, my actual total score would be lower than whan I get in those CATS? (assuming that ok I am good in quantitive, but I may get lower scores in verbal)?

My scores, so far, are as follow:

1. 610 - the 1st (free) MGMAT CAT (Q: 45, V: 30).
2. 640 - 1st GMATPREP simulation (Q: 49, V: 30).
3. 660 - the 2nd MGMAT CAT (Q: 46, V: 34).
4. 680 - the 3rd MGMAT CAT (Q: 48, V:35).
5. 680 - the 4th MGMAT CAT (Q:47, V: 36).

Now, I will take the 5th MGMAT CAT... Ii seems like I am relatively "steady" in my results, however, when I solve the questions in the exam itself, I don't feel like I am improving... I lack some self confidence...

It would be very appreciable, if some experienced persons, tell me what they think of my results, my improvements... what to anticipate, and so on!... I have 4 days left... And don't really know what is the best to do in them... Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for everyone :)))

Hi Hani,

As you have 4 days left for your actual test, the best thing would be to again review the questions that you got incorrect in the tests you took. Next, review the questions that you felt are important form the OG and other official stuff. I will also suggest you what I did in the last 4 days of my prep, do retakes of GMATPrep tests. You will find new questions most of the time. What score you get in the retakes is not very important, but the number of new questions you get and building a comfort level on the online testing platform.

Most Important: While studying and practicing, restrict yourself to only the official material and questions. If you completed all the study material then go through the OG once again. A comfort level with the GMAT language is vital before entering the testing room.

All the best for your GMAT

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Score estimation - and some general questions! :) [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 00:41
Thank you Vercules for your reply!...

It's reasonable what you say...

And now I have just completed MGMAT's 5th CAT. I got 710: Q: 48, V: 39!

But again, I don't FEEL like I am making any improvement, even though my results are getting better from CAT to CAT!!! And I don't know whether I am really getting better, or I am having good luck!!!!

Scores don't tell me anything, as long as I don't FEEL that I am getting better!!!!!

So I repeat my question: can I consider MGMAT CATS good indicators? Do they really gauge one's progress and improvement?

I feel, especially in the verbal section, that I am better in catching what MGMAT want me to answer rather than picking the right answer because I am sure this is the right one!!! I don't know if you understand what I mean !!! It's as if I understood the question writers mind!!!!

And in contrast to the previous MGMAT CATS quantitive sections, the quantitive section in the CAT that I have just finished didn't feel difficult for me, though I didn't manage to get over 48!!!

I have one MGMAT CAT left, I will do it today... So that from tomorrow to the exam day I will solve and review only official material!!!

I feel a little bit LOST!!! Don't know where I stand, don't know if I am improving in verbal!!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 786 [1] , given: 82

Re: Score estimation - and some general questions! :) [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hani wrote:
Thank you Vercules for your reply!...

It's reasonable what you say...

And now I have just completed MGMAT's 5th CAT. I got 710: Q: 48, V: 39!

But again, I don't FEEL like I am making any improvement, even though my results are getting better from CAT to CAT!!! And I don't know whether I am really getting better, or I am having good luck!!!!

Scores don't tell me anything, as long as I don't FEEL that I am getting better!!!!!

So I repeat my question: can I consider MGMAT CATS good indicators? Do they really gauge one's progress and improvement?

I feel, especially in the verbal section, that I am better in catching what MGMAT want me to answer rather than picking the right answer because I am sure this is the right one!!! I don't know if you understand what I mean !!! It's as if I understood the question writers mind!!!!

And in contrast to the previous MGMAT CATS quantitive sections, the quantitive section in the CAT that I have just finished didn't feel difficult for me, though I didn't manage to get over 48!!!

I have one MGMAT CAT left, I will do it today... So that from tomorrow to the exam day I will solve and review only official material!!!

I feel a little bit LOST!!! Don't know where I stand, don't know if I am improving in verbal!!!

Hi Hani,

To answer your question yes your scores show improvement and you have improved, so do not get unnecessarily worried about this.

No test is a better indicator of your actual score than the GMATPrep. Even the actual GMAT has a leeway of plus/minus 20 points. Your scores are good, do not let stress of the test take over performance. If you find yourself stressed out, you can leave the last MGMAT test at this point of time. In the last two weeks of my prep I did not do any test other than GMATPrep.

Revise and review the incorrect questions and stick to official stuff (OG, GMATPrep ect). Do not attempt any new stuff or questions in the last two days. I would again say re-do and revise the incorrect questions and the topics which you consider are your improvement areas.

Hope that helps,

All the best,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: Score estimation - and some general questions! :)   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2013, 00:52