Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Score ranges and what they mean?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Score ranges and what they mean? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 13:19
Ever since I wanted to take my GMAT all I hear is a 700+ on GMAT would be beneficial. This assumption makes me wonder if anything below a 700 would not be a good score. In terms on application process what are the different scenarios when the GMAT score is seen in conjunction with other criteria (like GPA, Rec letters, personal essay).
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 10

Re: Score ranges and what they mean? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 13:33
Expert's post
It depends a great deal on where you're applying. For Top 10 schools, the median GMAT score is around 720. That means that the farther below 720 you are, the more impressive the rest of your application needs to be. However, there are plenty of great schools that don't have such lofty incoming scores. If your school of choice has a median score of, say, 640, you might be better off polishing the rest of your application than focusing on a 700+ GMAT score.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score ranges and what they mean? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 16:21
Expert's post
Not achieving a '700' largely depends on the program you hope to get into. For many, the top-15 business schools are the holy grail of the MBA. Breaking 700, definitely helps. But remember - when you are applying to the top program, you are competing against a lot of other 700+ scorers. Admissions will look at other aspects of your application: work experience, undergraduate institution/GPA, amazing essays, etc.

Of course, when you fall below the 700-mark those aspects of your application take on even greater importance. And burnishing your application - vs. spending another two months prepping in the hopes of cracking 700 - will be better a much better use of your time.

As Dimitri mentioned, for programs not in the top-15 a strong application and a mid-600 score can count for more than a 700+. I've known of students who score 750, and assume that they will get into a top-15 program. They put scant effort into their application and often end up in a program in which the median score is 640 (meaning that they are in the same class with sub-600 students, who clearly took the time on their application).

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Score ranges and what they mean?   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2012, 16:21