Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 115/120

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 182
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 118

Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 08:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I took TOEFL on Mar 4th and got the score today - 115, Reading - 30, Listening - 29, Speaking - 27, Writing - 29. I am taking TOEFL a bit late since some schools in my list are a bit strict on this requirement.

I prepared for around 2 weeks and took the test. I bought the ETS prep material along with 2 practice tests and 1 online test when I registered.

Listening section was a challenge when I started off but after a few practice tests I was ok with it.
Reading was not much of a challenge as I found TOEFL much easier compared to GMAT.
Writing was pretty much at the same level as GMAT.
Speaking though still remained a problem area and I believe it will be so for most non native speakers like me. For speaking I pretty much followed one of the posts here in this forum that gave a template for each of the different question types and practiced using the ouliogroove videos on you tube. I also used some tips from the videos posted by Notefulldotcom. Additionally I took one practice test for speaking from iCourses.org.

On the test day I was a bit lucky that there were just 2 of us at that centre and hence did not face any disturbance as mentioned by some of the others in this forum. I finished my Reading, Listening and Writing sections well before time.

One thing to note - I finished my break faster so that I could go back to my seat and jot down the templates for speaking and writing sections but the proctors asked me not to use the notepad and pencil until the break is over. Still there was enough time for me to write down the templates when the instructions were being given. So people who intend to do this may want to take note of this.

Few tips: -

1. Reading section is easy just make sure you take care of the time.
2. For listening take notes. You may not refer to them but its a good way to remember everything.
3. Speaking is easier than you think it is.
4. Writing section is probably the one place where you will have time to spare so make sure you get your ideas clear and in the end review your essays well.
5. Finally just relax. If you have already done GMAT this will be allright.

I am very happy with the scores and looking forward to the apps.

So that's pretty much it. Back to applications.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Writing Essays
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 143
Location: Brazil
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 08:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
nikhilsrl wrote:
I took TOEFL on Mar 4th and got the score today - 115, Reading - 30, Listening - 29, Speaking - 27, Writing - 29. I am taking TOEFL a bit late since some schools in my list are a bit strict on this requirement.

I prepared for around 2 weeks and took the test. I bought the ETS prep material along with 2 practice tests and 1 online test when I registered.

Listening section was a challenge when I started off but after a few practice tests I was ok with it.
Reading was not much of a challenge as I found TOEFL much easier compared to GMAT.
Writing was pretty much at the same level as GMAT.
Speaking though still remained a problem area and I believe it will be so for most non native speakers like me. For speaking I pretty much followed one of the posts here in this forum that gave a template for each of the different question types and practiced using the ouliogroove videos on you tube. I also used some tips from the videos posted by Notefulldotcom. Additionally I took one practice test for speaking from iCourses.org.

On the test day I was a bit lucky that there were just 2 of us at that centre and hence did not face any disturbance as mentioned by some of the others in this forum. I finished my Reading, Listening and Writing sections well before time.

One thing to note - I finished my break faster so that I could go back to my seat and jot down the templates for speaking and writing sections but the proctors asked me not to use the notepad and pencil until the break is over. Still there was enough time for me to write down the templates when the instructions were being given. So people who intend to do this may want to take note of this.

Few tips: -

1. Reading section is easy just make sure you take care of the time.
2. For listening take notes. You may not refer to them but its a good way to remember everything.
3. Speaking is easier than you think it is.
4. Writing section is probably the one place where you will have time to spare so make sure you get your ideas clear and in the end review your essays well.
5. Finally just relax. If you have already done GMAT this will be allright.

I am very happy with the scores and looking forward to the apps.

So that's pretty much it. Back to applications.


Thank you very much for sharing such great tips.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 195
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 06:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
I would suggest that one should prepare himself/ herself for the disturbance in case of many test takers while practicing..
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 182
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 118

Re: Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 06:41
vdbhamare wrote:
I would suggest that one should prepare himself/ herself for the disturbance in case of many test takers while practicing..


Good tip there, in fact I prepared by taking few tests when my 2.5 year old son was running around playing and making noises ;).
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1691
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 20:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Great Score, Congrats :) ! Could you please provide a short review of your Test Center also ?
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 182
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 118

Re: Scored 115/120 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:28
subhashghosh wrote:
Great Score, Congrats :) ! Could you please provide a short review of your Test Center also ?


The test centre (in Trivandrum, Kerala, India) was a very small place. As you enter they take down your name and time of entry. Here you have to keep your belongings in a locker inlcuding cell phone, wallet, watch etc. We were not allowed to take anythign out of our bag (including water or eatables) during the time we were there until we were done with the test. Test center provided water.

After this they ask you to sign some terms of agreement. Then you are allowed to visit the washroom. Then they give you the usual instructions. After that you are asked to enter a room where your photo is taken and your writing materials are provided. Only one test taker is allowed to enter this room at a time.

The entry to the actual test taking room is from here and these 2 rooms are separated by a glass wall. The proctors can sit there and observe you. Whenever you take a break you are supposed to enter your time of entry and exit. Once you enter the actual test taking room you are guided to the computer and you are logged in. This room had around 10 comps but on the day I went, there were just 2 of us. The proctors (there were 3 of them) used to come into the test taking room frequently, probably to check on us.

They told me that the writing pad will be changed only when we finish what is given which I found a bit weird. What if I am starting a new section especially Writing or Speaking and there is only one page left, that may not be sufficient. But anyways luckily for me that one writing pad was enough, actually just about enough.

My only crib with the centre, apart from what I mentioned above (which probably may be ETS issue and not test centre issue), is that their washroom could accomodate only one person at a time. What if there were 10 test takers, could be an issue.

Hope this helps.
Re: Scored 115/120   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 07:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
scores PSMBAPS 0 04 Sep 2013, 06:56
2 Scoring farukqmul 2 02 Jun 2012, 23:36
Scoring FavreFanDan 1 13 Sep 2005, 18:08
Scoring FavreFanDan 1 13 Sep 2005, 14:55
Scoring - Equating percentiles with scores cpblake 7 06 Dec 2004, 08:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored 115/120

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.