Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 430, can I raise to 550 in 7 weeks?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored 430, can I raise to 550 in 7 weeks? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 05:08
Hi everyone
I wrote the GMAT 2 weeks ago and scored a 430. Up until the test I was averaging a 540 on my GMAT practice tests. I had hear that your mark tends to drop when you write the official test, but I wasn't expecting it to drop so significantly. I've taken a 2 week break from studying and am getting back to it today. The problem is, I feel like I don't know where to start. I plan to write again at the end of May, which gives me 7 months to increase my score. The school I am applying to requires a 550 and I'm wondering if this is possible for me in this timeframe. Can I raise my mark by 120 points in 7 weeks? I work contracts and in 2 weeks will have a totally open schedule so I can dedicate full days to studying. Where do I start? Do you guys think this is a possible feat in the time I've got? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored 430, can I raise to 550 in 7 weeks? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 17:45
Hi. If you prep efficiently, you can expect to improve your score by 120 points with about 180 hours of prep. Spread over 7 weeks, that would be about 25 hours of prep a week, which is a lot, but not impossible.

But, realistically, you just didn't perform up to your abilities on test day, so that 430 doesn't represent your real GMAT skills. Taking the test the second time, you will be more comfortable and will score higher. And prepping better the second time around will help that. One should expect at most a 20 point decrease from recent CAT scores on the official test, assuming things go well.

By the way, it was a good choice to take a break from studying for a bit. That will pay off.

As far as where to start, if you want to self-study again please check out my guide GMAT Clarity. You can use it to build a course that will fit your exact needs and help you get the score you are looking for. Otherwise, if you want to use a course this time around, I think Manhattan gmat would be helpful.

Thomas Hall

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Scored 430, can I raise to 550 in 7 weeks? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 05:19
Expert's post
I agree with Thomas. Increasing just over 100 points in 7 weeks will be difficult, but it is possible, especially since your average sim test score was a 540. We see students' scores vary from sim test to sim test by about 30 points, so I'm surprised that yours varied by over 100 points. This indicates to me that you know the material well enough to achieve a 550, but perhaps need to work on your test taking skills. Do you feel as though your timing strategy is on point? Were you extremely nervous when taking the test? If you can pinpoint what the problem was, you may be able to hone in on how to fix the issue and now waste any time re-learning what you already know.

http://econgm.at/GMATclub
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Scored 430, can I raise to 550 in 7 weeks?   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2014, 05:19