Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Scored 480 on 1st practice test am i doomed? [#permalink]
What are your goals? That will determine your goal for the GMAT. Obviously you want to get as higha score as possible, but in how much time? I believe any well graded collegiate could get a high GMAT score if they spent enough time on it. Your question is how much time do I want or need to spend on it to get the MBA placement I desire. Most schools list their average GMAT. Other clues are also available which will help. One good thing about a low score like that, you've got nowhere to go but up.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Not doomed... studying is key... if you took it "cold" and scored 480, I don't see why the 600s wouldnt be in reach with some serious (e.g. 2 hours daily) studying

People have made big leaps.

420 to 700: from-420-to-700-it-is-good-to-be-part-of-the-700-club-35919.html

510 to 710: 520-to-710-my-adventures-with-the-gmat-94495.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
fstep wrote:
MBABound11 wrote:
Don't give up. While many would suggest my score wasn't ideal, 690. My first practice 3 months earlier was a 530. What was your breakdown Q vs V. It is much easier to raise the Q than the V.

690 is not ideal? i thought over 650 was considered great and 700 was like 90th percentile which fit into pretty much any program in the country

Depends who you ask, many people feel that a 700 is "the bar" for the top 5 or top 10 programs in the country, based on the fact that the average score at many of those schools is in the 700-710 range (by definition of course, half of those admitted score below this figure, a fact often ignored by those who believe 700 is 'the' number).

What score you "need" really depends on where you intend to apply.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Not doomed... studying is key... if you took it "cold" and scored 480, I don't see why the 600s wouldnt be in reach with some serious (e.g. 2 hours daily) studying

well i don't think 600 is out of reach but isn't that too low to get into a worthy program? i heard that any school out of the top 20 takes like over 10 years just to make the investment back
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
fstep wrote:
rhyme wrote:

well i don't think 600 is out of reach but isn't that too low to get into a worthy program? i heard that any school out of the top 20 takes like over 10 years just to make the investment back

( Just for clarity, I meant a score "in the" 600s, not exactly 600 itself, but I'll answer the q )

Define "worthy"..... It really depends what you want to get out of the experience -- if your goal is to learn some new stuff and apply to the business you already have, then "worthy" is pretty broad and a number of schools would fit the bill. MBA programs are pretty cookie-cutter in the academic department, you are going to learn many of the same frameworks, concepts, and ideas regardless of where you end up. A score in the 600s would put you squarely into the range for a number of good schools - Georgetown University for instance has a middle 80% range GMAT scores from 640 to 730 (which is actually quite high for it's rank). Duke (Fuqua) another quite well respected program sits at 620 to 750 for the 80% range. UNC, 600 to 740. Carnegie Mellon, 620 to 750.

If your goal is to quit your job and make a move to investment banking, say at Goldman Sachs, then the "worthy" list is much smaller - admittedly, for such a goal your list would need to be Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Kellogg, Stanford, Sloan, and a few others -- here, the mean GMAT is likely 700 or 710. Booths 80% range is 660 to 760 for instance.

So I'd make a few points.

First, note that a "mid 600s" score puts you within shooting distance of a number of programs and perhaps even some of the "top" programs (with a little effort and a little luck). Look not just at the median or mean scores but at the ranges too.

Second, recognize that the GMAT is something that can be beat -- not entirely of course (I never did get some of the math) but determination and studying can go a long way towards cracking that nut. Honestly, perseverance and drive are half the battle.

Third, timing - you self imposed 3 months. Your GMAT doesn't have to be done in 3 months - I'm a bit out of the loop with current application deadlines so perhaps someone else can comment but I would be of the opinion that four or five is still plausible for round two applications.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
fstep wrote:
i heard that any school out of the top 20 takes like over 10 years just to make the investment back

This isn’t necessarily true. It’s all relative. There is a wonderful excel template under the heading “The True Value of YOUR MBA.” I would locate employment stats for a few programs you’re interested in and plug the compensation numbers into the spread sheet. These aren’t hard and true, but can help you get an idea of what you’re in for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
None of the math on the GMAT is "difficult" per se. It's all high school level stuff presented in a somewhat tricky way. I think with a good amount of time and a lot of effort, you can bring that math score up into the 40's. Be diligent about studying and find some online tools to help you increase your speed. There's a lot that you can do.

I don't know your profile, but I would think 700 is the score you'd want to be competitive for these schools. Average gmat scores do seem to trend upwards for almost all b-schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
In the greater context of your application and based on your other posts, I'd say try to get the GMAT out of the way before you start writing essays. Also your stellar GPA will mean less to schools since from what I gather you graduated ten years ago or so? The GMAT and your work experience are likely to matter a lot more. Keep in mind that your essays and your story will be the most important component of your application (wish I knew that when I started). So try your best to get a score as close to 700 as you can get it (absolutely doable if you're willing to put in the hours over the next 2-3 months and study smart, by that I mean LEARN from your mistakes and be absolutely relentless in going after weaknesses). Beyond that, it's about how you tell them your story. Stick around, post about how you're doing and we'll do our best to help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Hey, I feel where you're at.

I scored a 460 on my first Kaplan diagnostic test last Sept. I studied on and off for several months and really buckled down in January after receiving a 640.

I took the GMAT again last month and scored a 690 (Q43, V41). Still a bit shy of my 710 goal, but it's a massive improvement and at the very least should give you some optimism.

I would highly recommend buying the Manhattan GMAT books and go through them thoroughly. Really really focus on mastering the fundamentals first.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
You're not doomed. I met someone who scored around an 800 on the old SAT but decided that he really wanted to raise his score to get into some good schools out of high school and he got some study materials from his library and managed to pull up his score to a 1590. He ended up going to Claremont McKenna and ended up becoming a venture capitalist.
GMAT Club Bot