Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 29

CAT Tests
Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 22:21
Hi all,

I took my first GMAT 2 days ago and scored 530 (Q37, V26). Although I was highly disappointed I knew that I had not put much efforts to score 700+

Some of the mistake that I did while preparing for the GMAT and while taking the real exam:

1) Never gave mock tests, only gave a mock test before studying for GMAT on Gmat prep software and scored 450.
2) Did not solve official guide questions except for few. After reading concepts from Manhattan, I solved only the practice exercise questions that are available after every chapter.
3) I knew that my quants section on the real GMAT was going well, although In the last one minute I had 5 questions left and I marked them randomly. I think this is the main reason for my low Quant score.
4) My lack of practice in verbal made me realize that I was not doing well on the exam. Also, in last one minute I had 6 questions left which I marked randomly.

Guys, I think I will be able to improve my quant score but I am a bit concerned about verbal preparation.

I studied Sentence correction from Manhattan and made my own notes for Grammar rules. For CR, I took the E-gmat Course.

Now, for verbal should i again study the concepts from some other book or just keep practicing questions and keep analyzing them?

What should be my overall way forward for a 700+ GMAT score ?

Hope springs eternal :)

Thanks,
Harish

Kindly consider for kudos if my post was helpful!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 09:28
Hi,

It would be great if experts and other gmatclub members could help.

Thanks,
Harish

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 6

Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 07:31
Expert's post
hi harishbiyani,

It appears you've gone through several SC resources and are still struggling.

Every student learns differently - so perhaps the approach you are using now just isn't working for you. Besides using a different approach, you should also continually learn from your mistakes.

Never allow yourself to make the same mistake twice. Do questions in small chunks of 3 questions each chunk. Mark down your wrong answers and look for patterns among your wrong answers. Are they all idiomatic expressions? All structural or meaning-based questions? Comparison or consistency questions? Once you identify the types of questions you are getting wrong, then you must re-attempt this questions with a new frame of mind. Approach and timing is important.

Many SC questions are unnecessarily complicated on purpose - to confuse you. Learn to break sentences down to just the core important structure - that will make it much easier to spot the errors. Cutting the fluff is not easy to show via text - we usually show through video. But you can go through a few exercises on how to read quickly here: http://www.gmatpill.com/ebook/GMATPill- ... -promo.pdf

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's great that you know the areas in which you need improvement. Now you can devote time to focusing on learning only what you need to know to break the 700 barrier. You mentioned that you didn't practice with the OG too much but might wish to, and we actually just published a couple posts about how to study with the OG and use it to your advantage. You can check 'em out here:

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ips-part-i
http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ps-part-ii

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 08:55
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
It's great that you know the areas in which you need improvement. Now you can devote time to focusing on learning only what you need to know to break the 700 barrier. You mentioned that you didn't practice with the OG too much but might wish to, and we actually just published a couple posts about how to study with the OG and use it to your advantage. You can check 'em out here:

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ips-part-i
http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ps-part-ii

Thank you Beth for your advice :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 02:43
Thanks GMATPill. Your "cut the fluff" approach for SC seems quite interesting; something that I will definitely try, since I am also in the same boat as harishbiyani. Verbal is an issue with me.
Re: Scored 530 on my first GMAT, need advice and way forward!   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2014, 02:43