Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-01-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 20:25
GMAT Prep #2 550 Q33 V32
GMAT Pill #2 620 Q36 V39
MGMAT #1A 610 Q38 V35
MGMAT #2A 640 Q38 V38
MGMAT #3A 570 Q37 V31

These were my latest mocks. Today I scored 530 (Q29 V34) after studying for 7 months. Shockingly, my IR was a perfect 8. I never studied IR and always tried the first few and guessed the rest during my mocks, ending up with a 1-3.

I have gone through all the MGMAT books, and lately have been relying heavily on GMAT Pill. I always review my mocks, whether I get the question right or wrong. I have no idea what happened to my quant. During the exam I felt like I was nailing the ones I knew I would get correct and only guessed on a few difficult ones. On verbal, I believe RC really threw me off. The passages were dull and the questions seemed more difficult than I was use to.

My goal is to get between 640-660. I know it's possible, but I don't know where to go from here. Continue using GMAT Pill, open up the MGMAT books again, or look elsewhere? I have a little over 2 months until apps are due. I can squeeze in 2 more real tests, but I think I should focus on taking it just one more time and hoping for the best.

A couple notes:
- I went out of town this weekend with my girlfriend and friends, so that could have thrown me off. I didn't study when I got back either, just reviewed a little bit.
- This was the first time I took the test with AWA and IR. I started only taking the Q/V, then only lately added the IR. And like I said, I would just attempt the first few problems of IR and guess the rest. I never attempted a AWA, but I didn't have a problem answering it during the test. However, some mental fatigue may have set in.
- The exam location was a little less than 40 miles away from me. With traffic it took over an hour. The next one I register for will be about 10 miles away/15 minutes away.

I don't like to make excuses, but those could played a role as to why I did so poorly.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 300

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 00:45
Hi there,

Unfortunately, your quant score is too low. And I understand the fact that you can take the quant score easily to Q41-43 by following bunuel , out GMAT math expert on this forum.

Go through MGMAT guides.
Practice on GMAT Club tests for quant.

I am sure enough that the advise I have given can surely take you to Q45.

And if you are aiming Q49-50, then I would advise you to study MGMAT Advance Guide and practice harder questions on GC forum.

And to inform you that MGMAT mock tests have tougher quants to increase your potential to answer tougher questions.

Hope above helps !

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-01-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 17:39
I normally get 33-38 on quant. I can't quite hit 40 because I know my fundamentals are lacking. Some shape or triangle problems I have to guess because I have no idea what to do.

I'm shocked my verbal hasn't improved. I should be hitting 40+ every time. On the actual GMAT, the RC was extremely dense compared to what I was getting during my mocks. The SC were also a bit more difficult, but not much.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 300

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 22:15
nevermoreflow wrote:
I normally get 33-38 on quant. I can't quite hit 40 because I know my fundamentals are lacking. Some shape or triangle problems I have to guess because I have no idea what to do.

I'm shocked my verbal hasn't improved. I should be hitting 40+ every time. On the actual GMAT, the RC was extremely dense compared to what I was getting during my mocks. The SC were also a bit more difficult, but not much.

Hi there,

The difficulty level of GMAT has gone up in recent years, both in Quant and verbal.

It is easy to get Q40 provided you brush up your fundamentals using MGMAT guides and practice those on this forum/Official Guide/Quant review.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Scored 530 (Q29 V34) Today, Need to Retake within 1-2 Months   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2014, 22:15