Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 08:01
Greetings everybody :)

This is the first time im posting on this forum so please be nice to me :)

Like everybody my aim was to get a 700+.

Unfortunately, I gave my GMAT today and scored just a 570. I always had a problem with verbal, but I expected to score at least 30. 26 was just a huge disappointment.
I studied for 2 months starting in October. Firstly I started with the Official Quant review, did all the questions and reviewed the wrong ones. Then Verbal review, did all the SC and CR questions and reviewed them (reviewed SC vaguely because I couldn't understand the grammatical terms used in the answers behind). I left out RC because I felt I was good at it. Then I started reading the MGMAT guides for number properties, world problems and geometry (because I felt these were my weak points). After I was done reading them, I did the PS and DS questions that were related to these topics (question numbers were provided behind the MGMAT guides) and then reviewed the ones i got wrong. After that I completed the CR questions in the Official Guide (accuracy of 71%). Then I read only half of the MGMAT SC guide as I was getting confused reading it. Then I solved all the SC questions of the official guide and had an accuracy 68.8% ( not great I know). And again I left out all the RC's of the official guide as the time remaining was short. After completing the SC questions from the official guide, I did all the remaining PS and DS questions and their error logs as well.

I took GMATPrep practice tests and the results were as following:

GMATPracticetest1 : 550 (Q:36 V:29) - After quant and verbal review
GMAT Practicetest2: 650 (Q:42 V:36) - after official guide
GMAT Practicetest1 : 530 (Q:45 V 21)- 1 week before GMAT exam

I was pretty confident in quant and I managed to score above 40 + everytime. But verbal was just ups and downs all the time.
Giving the GMATPrac test a week before my date demotivated me and made me realize my verbal was WEAK.
During the actual exam I was in such a panic mode in the verbal section that I did every question in a hurry and in the end had about 10 minutes remaining. Is it because I went too fast that ruined my verbal accuracy or is it because of lack of practice.

I am thinking now of giving myself a 2 weeks rest and starting over again, reading each and every book of CR and SC recommended in some of the posts. Also, I want to increase my QUANT score from early 40s to atleast 49, so that a score of 37+ in verbal would get my score up to 700+.
Can I get some help and suggestions from people who have gone through a similar situation and have overcome it ?

Your help will be much appreciated !!

Last edited by vr92 on 16 Dec 2013, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Posts: 22
Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 01-27-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 08:51
Actually, while I haven't take the GMAT yet, I have the same problem.

I was able to score well on the Quant section after reviewing all the MGMAT Guides and all the hours of studying the Math. However, the Verbal part was horrible.
I now take the GMAT Pill course (on SC, CR and RC) and it really helps how to deal with the different verbal questions. Perhaps you could take a look at their site!

Are you a native or non-native speaker?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 09:41
Jasper1989 wrote:
Actually, while I haven't take the GMAT yet, I have the same problem.

I was able to score well on the Quant section after reviewing all the MGMAT Guides and all the hours of studying the Math. However, the Verbal part was horrible.
I now take the GMAT Pill course (on SC, CR and RC) and it really helps how to deal with the different verbal questions. Perhaps you could take a look at their site!

Are you a native or non-native speaker?


Hey jasper !

I am a non-native speaker. But I wouldn't consider myself bad in English.
I am also considering the GMAT pill course on sc,cr and rc. When are you planing to give the gmat ?

Thanks for the quick reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Posts: 22
Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 01-27-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 10:02
No problem. Everybody helps each other over here ;)

I'm a non-native speaker as well and just as you consider yourself good in English so do I (I lived in the States for a year) but the GMAT is different.
I just finished SC from the GMAT Pill and I really understand what the GMAT is testing us on.
I would definitely recommend the program!

My GMAT appointment is scheduled on the 27th of January 2014.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 10:14
Jasper1989 wrote:
No problem. Everybody helps each other over here ;)

I'm a non-native speaker as well and just as you consider yourself good in English so do I (I lived in the States for a year) but the GMAT is different.
I just finished SC from the GMAT Pill and I really understand what the GMAT is testing us on.
I would definitely recommend the program!

My GMAT appointment is scheduled on the 27th of January 2014.


Hmm I too realized that you cant crack verbal just by going on what sounds right.
So it has improved your SC ?
I am really confused now, I am thinking of giving a retest but I want a break for 2 weeks and then get back to it. But if I do that, it might be too late to apply to B schools.

Where all are you applying and what courses ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Posts: 22
Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 01-27-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 10:46
Actually, SC is the easiest part to improve on! And yes, I improved my SC with succes!
Good luck with improving your score!

I'm just applying for Erasmus University Rotterdam since I live in the Netherlands! Although I would like to apply for a Business school after gaining some work experience.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1611
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 696 [0], given: 6

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 13:37
Expert's post
vr92 wrote:
Greetings everybody :)

This is the first time im posting on this forum so please be nice to me :)

Like everybody my aim was to get a 700+.

Unfortunately, I gave my GMAT today and scored just a 570. I always had a problem with verbal, but I expected to score at least 30. 26 was just a huge disappointment.
I studied for 2 months starting in October. Firstly I started with the Official Quant review, did all the questions and reviewed the wrong ones. Then Verbal review, did all the SC and CR questions and reviewed them (reviewed SC vaguely because I couldn't understand the grammatical terms used in the answers behind). I left out RC because I felt I was good at it. Then I started reading the MGMAT guides for number properties, world problems and geometry (because I felt these were my weak points). After I was done reading them, I did the PS and DS questions that were related to these topics (question numbers were provided behind the MGMAT guides) and then reviewed the ones i got wrong. After that I completed the CR questions in the Official Guide (accuracy of 71%). Then I read only half of the MGMAT SC guide as I was getting confused reading it. Then I solved all the SC questions of the official guide and had an accuracy 68.8% ( not great I know). And again I left out all the RC's of the official guide as the time remaining was short. After completing the SC questions from the official guide, I did all the remaining PS and DS questions and their error logs as well.

I took GMATPrep practice tests and the results were as following:

GMATPracticetest1 : 550 (Q:36 V:29) - After quant and verbal review
GMAT Practicetest2: 650 (Q:42 V:36) - after official guide
GMAT Practicetest1 : 530 (Q:45 V 21)- 1 week before GMAT exam

I was pretty confident in quant and I managed to score above 40 + everytime. But verbal was just ups and downs all the time.
Giving the GMATPrac test a week before my date demotivated me and made me realize my verbal was WEAK.
During the actual exam I was in such a panic mode in the verbal section that I did every question in a hurry and in the end had about 10 minutes remaining. Is it because I went too fast that ruined my verbal accuracy or is it because of lack of practice.

I am thinking now of giving myself a 2 weeks rest and starting over again, reading each and every book of CR and SC recommended in some of the posts. Also, I want to increase my QUANT score from early 40s to atleast 49, so that a score of 37+ in verbal would get my score up to 700+.
Can I get some help and suggestions from people who have gone through a similar situation and have overcome it ?

Your help will be much appreciated !!


During that last week when you tested yourself and realized you were far from where you need to be - then you should be considering a postponement of your test.

Since you went ahead anyway - going forward, you want to make sure you are at least reaching your target score in practice. You can't expect to magically score high on the real thing if you haven't even done it in practice.

Make sure you have a list of your errors and review them. Identify any patterns in terms of types of questions or concepts or just silly mistakes. Do slight variations of the same question. Then test yourself again: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

Review errors again. Don't walk into that exam room until you've reached your target in practice.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice.   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2013, 13:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic 570 (Q42, V26) after 3m of prep; retake, enrolment advice? Meridius 3 10 Aug 2014, 04:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice. vr92 4 16 Dec 2013, 09:46
Drop in score from 640 (Q:44, V:35) to 570 (Q:42, V:28) ssule 4 22 Dec 2012, 22:59
1 570 to 650 to 740(48q,42v) kastino 1 06 Oct 2012, 11:04
570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! melanie2687 4 30 Jun 2008, 18:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored 570 (Q:42 V:26). Need serious advice.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.