Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 610, need 680+ Pls help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Scored 610, need 680+ Pls help! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 10:21
Hi guys, I decided to retake my GMAT, because I was really upset with my first score 610 (V35 Q39 AWA5). I was actually surprised to see 610 because it was just a bad bad experience. Exam was at 8 am, I live 2 hrs away from the center, so I did not get enough sleep, got lost on the way there, center itself was loud, my computer was near the exit so people were in and out, the sound insulation from outside noises was the worst ever, all the way through verbal section I was listening to landscaping crew mowing the lawn. I just could not concentrate. And I was counting on that, because I have an ability to concentrate and do well on the exams.
Anyway, I am looking for 680+ , I like keeping it real :) , therefore I need to improve my section scores by about 10 points. I have been doing tests but my scores are not improving. I am just stuck in the upper 30ies and need some advice how to break it and see some improvement.
I have most of the text books, went through them all, I learned to pace myself really well, I never run out of time, I know how much time I can spend on each question. I’m strong in SC and CR, usually miss just 1-2 in CR and 2-3 in SC in the section. This must be fixed, but… RC is a disaster. Half is always wrong. Need some advice on that. Just please do not advise to read more, because I read a lot, newspapers, online news, Economist, etc. Everyday. I also like reading scientific articles, medicine, health, new inventions, etc. I am not a native speaker, but my problem in RC isn’t comprehending the passage, but picking a right answer. Could somebody help pls… Which textbook has the best RC tips? I did all RC in OG 11, felt really strong, because I was getting max 1 wrong for each passage and I was timing myself, then I sat for one of GMATPrep test and… same thing, half is wrong. I guess I’ll just have to do 1000 RC…
Last time I did math was in high school, but I was really good at it. More than half of the questions I get wrong are silly mistakes. I’m trying to work on questions where I make mistakes like mixtures, advanced percent, coordinate planes, functions. I am thinking about purchasing challenges. Will it improve my score?
I am kind of frustrated. I spent so much time on getting ready for this exam, I purchased or got given most of the textbooks, read them all, but can not get the score I need. Maybe that is all my little brain is capable of… I am applying to a third tier school, my work experience, GPA, and GMAT scores are slightly below the average but in the range. Therefore GMAT is the only way to make my application look better. Please help!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Scored 610, need 680+ Pls help! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 10:47
"all the way through verbal section I was listening to landscaping crew mowing the lawn" - hahaha this is hilarious :)

The focus on the exam on the test day is 50% of your score in my humble opinion, so if u were distracted that is exactly (lower score then expected) what happens.

On my first attempt in October i got 540 because they placed me by the door and they also had some construction work going on in the hallway. Also, people kept moving in and out so it was really hard to concetrate on the test.

In my second attempt yesterday, (I registrered at the different testing center this time), I walked out with 690 score. This time I was lucky to get a nice and quiet seat.

In 6-7 weeks between these two tests I barely studied anything new. The huge score difference was due to concentration breakdown on my first attempt.

Testing centers usually suck and even if you fill the complaint it does not bring any help to you cuz u r already screwed. Maybe they react if they get a lot of complaints from one particular center but I guess that very few students even bother to fill one.

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Scored 610, need 680+ Pls help! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 11:55
linau1982 wrote:
Hi guys, I decided to retake my GMAT, because I was really upset with my first score 610 (V35 Q39 AWA5). I was actually surprised to see 610 because it was just a bad bad experience. Exam was at 8 am, I live 2 hrs away from the center, so I did not get enough sleep, got lost on the way there, center itself was loud, my computer was near the exit so people were in and out, the sound insulation from outside noises was the worst ever, all the way through verbal section I was listening to landscaping crew mowing the lawn. I just could not concentrate. And I was counting on that, because I have an ability to concentrate and do well on the exams.
Anyway, I am looking for 680+ , I like keeping it real :) , therefore I need to improve my section scores by about 10 points. I have been doing tests but my scores are not improving. I am just stuck in the upper 30ies and need some advice how to break it and see some improvement.
I have most of the text books, went through them all, I learned to pace myself really well, I never run out of time, I know how much time I can spend on each question. I’m strong in SC and CR, usually miss just 1-2 in CR and 2-3 in SC in the section. This must be fixed, but… RC is a disaster. Half is always wrong. Need some advice on that. Just please do not advise to read more, because I read a lot, newspapers, online news, Economist, etc. Everyday. I also like reading scientific articles, medicine, health, new inventions, etc. I am not a native speaker, but my problem in RC isn’t comprehending the passage, but picking a right answer. Could somebody help pls… Which textbook has the best RC tips? I did all RC in OG 11, felt really strong, because I was getting max 1 wrong for each passage and I was timing myself, then I sat for one of GMATPrep test and… same thing, half is wrong. I guess I’ll just have to do 1000 RC…
Last time I did math was in high school, but I was really good at it. More than half of the questions I get wrong are silly mistakes. I’m trying to work on questions where I make mistakes like mixtures, advanced percent, coordinate planes, functions. I am thinking about purchasing challenges. Will it improve my score?
I am kind of frustrated. I spent so much time on getting ready for this exam, I purchased or got given most of the textbooks, read them all, but can not get the score I need. Maybe that is all my little brain is capable of… I am applying to a third tier school, my work experience, GPA, and GMAT scores are slightly below the average but in the range. Therefore GMAT is the only way to make my application look better. Please help!!!

I recommend contacting customer service and letting them know what happened. Also, get the address for a couple testing centers and visit them before test day to make sure the conditions are acceptable. Loud noises can be very distracting and detrimental to your score.
Re: Scored 610, need 680+ Pls help!   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2008, 11:55