Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 640 after 720 on GMAT Preps - Need Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored 640 after 720 on GMAT Preps - Need Help [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 18:30
Hi Guys,

Wanted to share my experience of taking GMAT today. Even though it did not turn out to be a pleasant one, I would like to get some pointers on how to improve from here and steps forward.

I have been studying for more than 5 months now, with a full time job and family. Still manged to devote around 2-3 hours a day and 5-7 on weekend.

I used the below study material

Quant -
Kaplan Premier 2013
MGMAT Advanced Quant
GMAT Club Math Book

Verbal-
Powerscore CR Bible
MGMAT SC Guide

Did almost 700-800 SC questions and about 200 RC passages (about 4-5 daily).

Still i scored so poorly on verbal and I am not able to figure out the reason for this low verbal score and ways to improve. HELP NEEDED :cry: !!!
Till this morning i was little nervous about my Quant score, but surprisingly got 49 there but verbal performance let me down.

GMAT Score : 640 (Q49 V29)

I took 6 MGMAT Tests and 3 GMAT PREPS and below is my Score

MGMAT 1 - 660 (Q45 V35)
MGMAT 2 - 700 (Q45 V40)
GMAT PREP 1 - 640 (Q44 V37)
MGMAT 3 - 670 (Q44 V37)
MGMAT 4 - 660 (Q45 V35)
MGMAT 5 - 670 (Q46 V35)
MGMAT 6 - 660 (Q45 V35)
GMAT PREP 2 - 720 (Q49 V39)
GMAT PREP 3 - 720 (Q48 V40)

All the while i was getting a better score on my practice tests but on real GMAT today, I got my lowest verbal score. What could be the reason, ANY POINTERS.
And how can I improve?
I plan to take again in Jan 2014. Should i consider joining some online verbal course or should do self prep again.
Which tests should i take again. I found MGMAT and GMAT Prep questions to be quite different.

But more than anything, is there anyway to know what went wrong on my real GMAT today. Why i scored a low V29. How could there be so much discrepancy between what i scored on my practice tests (including GMAT Preps) and the real GMAT.
How can there be so much GAP between my Quant and Verbal score.
Moreover, the verbal questions i was getting today were not easy either, while performing the test the difficult level of verbal questions was making me feel that i am doing good on the exam and so expected a score around V39 or V40.

I know it would be a dumb question, but is there anything like getting a re-evaluation done by GMAC. Or someone ever heard of a scoring error.

Looking forward to tips on improving my performance on VERBAL and Quant next time around.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Scored 640 after 720 on GMAT Preps - Need Help   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2013, 18:30