Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 670 :-( Disappointed!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Scored 670 :-( Disappointed!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 13:30
I scored 670 today and am really disappointed!!!
First I want to thank everyone in this excellent club as they all helped me to prepare for the GMAT.
Here's my practise test scores, though they don't mean much now.
Kap1 570
Kap2 550
Kap3 640
Kap4 600
PR1 630
PR2 710
PP1 600 (taken in the intial phases of my prep)
PP2 750 (after doing OG)
GMAT Club Challenge #1 and #2 ranked in top 10
#3 ranked 27 (not representative as I had to leave for 10 mins in the middle of the exam)

About the Test

Quant was tough. Lots of DS with |X|'s
one of the 3 geometry Q's was tough!
1 Probablility and a lot of Mean/Median with some of them having time consuming calculations, No SDs
Kaplan Quant is representative of actual test

Verbal was unexpectedly tough
2 RCs back to back from Q3 to Q10 No CRs in first 15!!! This killed me. CR was my strong point!
The CRs came in the end when I was running out of time.
Had 4 RCs total ... guessed the last one that came at the fag end of the test
SCs were like hard OG Qs
RCs were like OG
CRs were definitely tougher than OG.

AWA was not tough at all. Followed the template from PReview.

I am definitly taking the test again in 4 weeks time.
I really need your advice on how I should prepare. I am planning to order the Manhattan GMAT 8 Tests (as I pretty much completed the current practice test CDs I have). I also don't mind taking online courses or not-too-expensive classroom courses. If you guys know of any good course please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 13:56
Srijay,

what is your score break-up (quant and verbal)?

I will leave others to give better advice on the preperation as I have not given gmat yet;my advice would be all guess work.

But dont worry, it is pretty clear from your prep scores, you are definately a 700 potential. Were there any distractions on the test day? Any time management issues?What was your strategy on the test day and were you able to implement it well?

GS
No excuses - Need 750!!!

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 15:12
Q 49 V 33

Were there any distractions on the test day?
Were there any distractions on the test day? Any time management issues?What was your strategy on the test day and were you able to implement it well?

I took the test in San Jose center (Saratoga-280 intersection)
The test center is ok, not great. There will be a lot of other people taking other tests, which I believe is shorter than the GMAT. So while you are taking the test, there will be people moving in and out at times. However they provide ear plugs which were pretty helpful. I was too focussed on the test and to be honest wasn't distracted with what's going on around.

I planned to sleep complete 8 yrs yesterday night! But I just couldn't and ended up sleeping only 3 hrs!!! However I had slept pretty well the last couple of days, so I wasn't feeling that tired while taking the test. Also, by the time you reach the middle of verbal you are completely exhausted!!! So try to use the break as much as possible instead of hurrying thru the test. The San Jose center is flexible in terms of break time. They wont mind if you take a 10 minute break. One thing that I hated was they didnt allow me to carry even a glass of water in the test arena.

Last edited by srijay007 on 21 Jul 2004, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 15:13
Hi Srijay,
I know you're not happy so it doesn't make sense me congratulating you !

Anyway, here's give my 2 cents/advice. Take a good break of a few days. I have taken almost 10 days off ( not completely though, I kept browsing the forums and read others experiences )

Get inspired by stories of guys giving it second time, and then prepare.
When I was relaxing away a few days back, one of my friends commented that I shouldn't take such a break and get back to studies immediately. Then another commented this , "when an athlete has just had a 100m sprint, you dont expect him to run for another 100m immediately".

I guess you got my point. A week off should be good. I have my exam 4 weeks from now and I just started prep today ! But now I have my stamina back, so I thought of sharing this thought with you.

Give us more details about your gmat experience and then we fellow clubbers can know about what went wrong or where you can improve etc etc.

Meanwhile just chill for sometime and try to get over the disappointment.

- ash

ash

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 15:27
I don't think I have to do much deduction in seeing that your weakness is the verbal section.

I too had got 2RC's back to back and very few CR's in the first 15 questions. I think the first CR came after the 10th question.

I think your Quant skills are fine, but verbal surely needs improvement.

How did you do in the first 15 questions ? Did you finish the verbal section in time ? If not how many did you guess towards the end ?

From what I have read and know, SC skills are the key. You solve them quick, gain marks and at the same time you gain time to solve the other sections.

ash

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 15:47
Hi Ashish
Thanks for your advice. I think you are right! I should take a week off.

ashkg wrote:
Give us more details about your gmat experience and then we fellow clubbers can know about what went wrong or where you can improve etc etc.
- ash

The VERBAL was TOUGH or may be my Verbal skills are very weak!!!
It was definitely tougher than the PREVIEW and PP CATs!
(I scored 40 once in PReview and 33+ in last 2 Kaplan tests)

Here's the post-mortem of my poor performance

RC:
One thing that I would like to bring up is the Practise Test CDs do not have 2 RCs in first 10-12 questions! And today I had 2 RCs in 1st 10 questions and the 3rd RC in late 10s early 20s. RC is my weak point I know! But the mistake I committed was I never understood the criticality of this weakness! Because I never faced a scenario in which RCs popped up in the beginning of the Test and messed up my scaled score.

CR:
All of them popped in the end one after another! By that time I couldnt spend more than 1.5 mins per Q. I had to make the calls fast and was always down to 2 choices. I am sure I committed mistakes there. CR standard varied from OG hard to Kaplan. There were only 1-2 which matched OG medium std. And beware of the " XYZABC ____ complete the argument" Qs I got 3 of them :-(

SC:
Were easy in the beginning, but were tough in the end! There were long sentences with more than 2 errors. Luckily I had practised some Kaplan800 SCs 2 days before the exam. That gave good practise to solve long SCs.

While taking the test I was pretty confident on my SC. I think I messed up on RCs and CRs in the end!

My Advice to future test takers:

To get a high score you have to be equally good in SC CR RC. Because questions are random. And there is equal chance for any one of them to pop out ... which means there is equal chance of your weakness getting exposed at the beginning of the test!
... and this is what I learnt most about CAT after today's experience
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 16:33
Great advice., One has to do balance between all the BIG three's.GMAT is all about balancing everything.

GS
No excuses - Need 750!!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2004, 06:38
srijay007,

You are definately a 700 person, but don't worry about your 670. It's a good score and next time just try to make that verbal 33 to 37-38 and you will see the score with 7**.

All the best
--Bhai
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2004, 12:41
Congratulation Srijay. 670 is a great score and I know you certainly want to get that magic 7** score. I have no doubt you can do it buddy.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2004, 20:21
Indeed, 670 is a cool score on this toughy! I understand that you 're hoping to cross the Magic 7** mark, but you missed to blew it off this time.
As the group already said, you can do it buddy. Just take a short break and come back with full swing. You are the best judge of your abilities, so chalk down the stategy on what you need to work on.

see ya on the forum, buddy
dj
  [#permalink] 22 Jul 2004, 20:21