Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 364
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scored 680 -- Disappointed in my score [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DivineJustice,

First off, a 680 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could very well be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your recent scores (and Official GMAT score) all point to a general ability level in the high-600s. On the low-end, you'd score around 650 and on the high-end you'd score around 710. By extension, your Official Score isn't surprising.

If you do choose to continue studying, you CAN certainly train to score at a higher level, but you're going to have to learn to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways. This will require that you invest in some new materials and learn/practice some new Tactics. Your Quant Scaled Score in particular points to a lot of missed 'strategy-based' questions on Test Day.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the advice. I am planning to apply to Business School during round 1 this fall. I plan to apply to Kellogg, Wharton, Columbia, and Booth. I will definitely need to look into adopting new methods. Do you suggest taking a decent amount of time off before starting to study for the retake? I'm more motivated than ever in conquering the gmat, but I don't want to overwhelm myself in the process of studying for the retake

HiLine, thank you for your opinion as well. I will take that into consideration.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DivineJustice,

If you'd like to take a few days off just to clear your head, then that's fine, but if you're dead-set on retesting then you shouldn't take a huge break from your studies. As it stands, with some specific Quant work you could easily retest in a month and hit your score goal. The higher Quant Scaled Score would also be more in line with what your goal Schools expect out of their applicants.

1) How many hours did you study during a typical week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Scored 680 -- Disappointed in my score [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DivineJustice,

If you'd like to take a few days off just to clear your head, then that's fine, but if you're dead-set on retesting then you shouldn't take a huge break from your studies. As it stands, with some specific Quant work you could easily retest in a month and hit your score goal. The higher Quant Scaled Score would also be more in line with what your goal Schools expect out of their applicants.

1) How many hours did you study during a typical week?

Rich

Rich,

I was studying between 10-20 hours per week. Some weeks may have been closer to ten if I was busy at work. My approach was to learn the concepts from the strategy guides and do the OG problems associated with those concepts. I think the problem was that even though I understood the approach to answering a question, regardless of right or wrong, I wasn't trying to figure out different angles to solving a problem.

Rich, do you suggest taking a fresh GMATPREP before starting prep again (most likely starting back up in 2-3 days) just so I know what to focus on?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DivineJustice,

Since you took your GMAT recently, you don't need to take a new CAT right away. The overall number of hours you studied each week sounds fine, as long as you were studying in 'small chunks' throughout the week (and not just 'cramming' in long study sessions during the weekends). When you're ready to start your studies back up, you should PM me and we can talk through the most efficient way for you to improve.

Rich
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

If you score Q49 and V38, you can surely hit 720.
Since your verbal score is consistent, you should aim at hitting Q49.
The last questions you were unable to solve are CMT 3 and 4 questions, which are difficult to solve.
In fact, 4-5 CMT questions are given on actual GMAT. If you get 2-3 questions right, you can definitely hit 49. Or, if you get 1-2 questions wrong, you can hit 50.

For retakers like yourself, we have a course called “Short-Cut 51”.
Based on your current score, If you study the course for 1 month, you can surely hit at least 49 or above just like 90% of our students as long as you follow our study guide properly.
Particularly, you can learn Variable Approach of DS, which enables you to solve DS questions with quickness and accuracy. With our Variable Approach, you can solve all DS questions. Also, we would like you to focus on DS as DS is a quick win. Plus, focus on studying the key questions, 5 chapters -Integer, statistics, probability,
inequality, absolute value-, which completes 80% of your study for GMAT. You can learn CMT 3 and 4 that determine Q50 and Q51 from our course.

If you’re interested, please visit our website below.
https://www.mathrevolution.com/

We also have a 7-day money back guarantee, a risk-free purchase. You can cancel anytime within 7 days.

Please try Trial Pack (97 videos - 4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen. You can test whether you like them or not before you enroll.

Additionally, below are two useful articles featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you.

· Ultimate Q51 Guide : the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html
· Most Updated Math Trend : overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html

Best regards,
Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Bot