Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 700 (Q46, V40) - Long Post

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Scored 700 (Q46, V40) - Long Post [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2005, 14:02
Hello All

I took my test today and scored 700 (M46, V40).

The math score was a bit less that what I was expecting but verbal was a surprise.

I used Kaplan Premier Edition 2006, PR Cracking GMAT 2006, Barrons Guide (brought in 2000 but did not open until late last month) and OG 11th editon. I also brought the 5 tests from Upstart Raising (and used 3 of them).

Also I would like to thank the users of the forum for their excellent questions and explanatins in both verbal and quant sections.

Practise scores in chronological order:

PP1 - 640 (M44, V34) - Before OG.
Kaplan Online - 700 (M45, V39)
PR1 - 650 (M45, V36)
PR2 - 660 (M48, V34)
PR3 - 640 (M48, V30)
PR4 - 620 (M42, V34)
PP2 - 700 (M47, V39) - After OG
Kap CD 1 - 480 (M41, V0) - did not try verbal
Kap CD 2 - 570 (M39, V29)
UR (Upstart Review) 1 - 620 (M42, V34)
UR 2 - 580 (M45, V24)
Gmatprep 1 - 700 (M48, V37)
UR 3 - 640 (M40, V40)

GMAT Exam - 700 (M46, V40)

Test Experience

The test was scheduled for 7:30 AM. The AWA questions were fairly straightforward. Though I wish I could have done better on the analysis of the issue.

Took the 5 minute break. The math section was also fairly simple. I guess I was probably getting the upper medium - lower hard bin questions. I had to guess on a couple of Q's during the 20's. Q's ranged from the usual stuff like algebra, P/C, geometry etc. My guess is that I have done good on the PS part (used to have a high hit ratio during mock tests) while I might have messed up the DS (always forget some mundane detail like check whether 0 is valid in equation etc).

Word of advice - Don't stop to double check your answers. I had to hurry through the last 4 or 5 questions and had about 1:30 left in the exam when I finished the last math Q.

During the break I drew the grid for CR and SC. Folks - the grid approach works. Took a break for like 2 - 3 minutes and started the verbal. Had about 4 RCs (65, 45, 45, 65 lines respectively), 2 bold face CR's and the usual stuff. Funny thing is that I lost track of time and unnecessarily hurried through the last RC.

Finally finished with about 5 - 7 minutes remaining. Filled the survey and reported the score. Happy with the score.

Preparation

Started prep in late september / early october. Read thru Kaplan for the verbal part and the PR for the math section.

PR math is a good refresher, while Kaplan has all the necessary formulae in a condensed form in the last few pages of the book.

After that I solved the OG completely.

Once I started writing the tests I noticed that my verbal was a problem and math was much better. After a point I started focusing more on verbal (SC and cR) since I was (over)confident on my math. I guess that showed in the final score.

The PR math tests was more of an approximation of what I was seeing during the real test, meaning it might be a bit easier. As everybody knows the Kaplan tests are harder. I also found the Upstart Raising math tests to be pretty similar to the real one with more harder Q's than PR. Overall I feel that a real GMAT 50 / 51 scorer will see more of the Upstartraising (UR) or GMATPREP kind of questions in math.

I cannot say which of the above is the best resource for verbal exams. Again I feel that UR was most close in type of Q's in verbal.

And people who might use upstartraising - the scoring engine is not that good. It consistently scores lower than what I expect the real GMAT would. I think the best scoring engine was that of PR.

For verbal I started solving a lot of questions from OG 10 which I obtained later. I also started usng a grid whle tackling SC and CR. Using grid helped in concentrating on a particular choice and finding the error.

I also used the forums both math and verbal though not quite as often as I should have. The quality of the math Q's are definitely in the 50 / 51 range.

My word of advice to testtakers would be to concentrate more on your verbal as I feel that a 1-point increase in your verbal score will have more effect on your total score. You can always take an extra quant course before applying to show your quant ability.

Anyway that about sums up my prep. All the best to the rest of u who are going to take the test.

And Happy New Year to all.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2005, 15:19
Congratulations scorpioguy!!

Wish you a Very Happy New Year and Good luck for the apps!!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2005, 20:56
Congratulations scorpio,

Very good score, thanks for the post! :-D
You got a fantastic new year gift!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 12:48
Congrats scorpio.
All the best for ur apps.
While doing OG how was ur hit rate?? How did you tackled RC's. Did you made notes for each para or just read out the whole RC?
Current Student
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 16:54
Thanks for your wishes.

Andy - While doing the OG (11 edition) I got about 5 - 10 questions wrong for every 50 questions in PS. For DS I got about 40 wrong in the whole DS section (155 questions). I figured out that most of the wrong PS and DS was because I was being careless.

The RC hit rate was about 8 wrong for every 50 questions. I got about 30 to 35 wrong in both CR (124 questions) and SC (138 questions).

I decided to concentrate more on SC and CR during the verbal prep since this was what my thinkning on RC was -

1) RC is like an extended CR with a longer question stem (40 - 60 line passage)
2) RC questions are more to the point than CR.
3) The better I am on CR the better my RC hit rate would be.

I never made notes while reading the RC passages. I tried it once and I thought I was spending more time on taking notes than reading the passage. My advice would be to read the RC passage as carefully as you would read a CR passage and try to remember the major points in each paragraphs since most of the questions would directly ask for something in the passage.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 20:00
Thanks scorpio,
It really helps.
  [#permalink] 01 Jan 2006, 20:00