Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 700, should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Scored 700, should I retake? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 11:09
I just finished the GMAT after preparing for a few months and scored a 700 with quant score of 46 (71%) and verbal of 40 (90%).

I am currently looking at schools such as Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon. I have been working for about 3 years at a large financial services company and graduated from a top 10 engineering school with a 3.1 GPA.

I think Northwestern is probably a reach and I am wondering if a higher GMAT score may help? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: On practice tests I was scoring between 700 and 720 so this result was not unexpected. I am hoping with a few months I can raise it higher, but is it worth it?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: Scored 700, should I retake? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 22:41
First of all, Kudos on your score. 700 is not really bad - it is quite good, so be happy.

My suggestion is - don't retake. If you don't really believe that you can significantly improve (say from 700 to 750), retaking is not advisable.

Your score should be good enough for most of the schools you have mentioned. The main issue that I see is your GPA.

My advise would be - go ahead and apply with this score, work hard on your application and do your best in your interviews. Assuming you apply to 10 or more schools, I would say that you have a 50%+ chance to get into one of the Top 20 schools.

Good luck and kudos.
Re: Scored 700, should I retake?   [#permalink] 02 May 2013, 22:41