Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 710 .. thank you GMATClub!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Scored 710 .. thank you GMATClub!! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 09:36
Just came back from the test center .. got Q48 V39 and 710.
Thanks to AkamaiBrah, Stolyar and the gang for all their advice!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 09:54
Congratulations bluefox420. GRRRRRRRT job.

detailed experience plssss ... mine is comming up in the next 3 days ... really very very anxious and feel am totally underprepared .... when it comes to RC especially. Not enuff time left to catch up and cant reschedule!!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 10:49
I followed all the test day tips that BB has mentioned on this site.
Math kept increasing in difficulty till the 10th question or so, and then stabilized. Only a couple of simple combi/probs (thanks Stolyar!)
Verbal was almost exactly the level of difficulty of the OG.

My weak point was CR and thats why my verbal score went down. Also, no matter how hard I tried, my mind was starting to stress out around the mid portion of the verbal section. So make sure you take that stress into account when you practice RC. The questions are easy, the stress will get you though.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 15:58
great. time to party.

could you pls summarize your practice test scores? ..boost up a little :wink:

enjoy!!
dj
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 18:27
Kaplan : 590, 550, 600, 640
Powerprep : 690, 710
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2003, 18:31
could you share with us what was your final push to go past 700 .. also what you did in the last 2-3 days before the exam?

What is your profile?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2003, 22:54
In the quant section, I was trying to solve the word problems (rate, sets etc) using conventional methods. I started using grids for set and rate problems and after doing so my timing, as well as my reasoning, started to improve.

In the verbal section, I realized that I could not improve my CR scores past a point. I compensated by solving a lot of RC problems from Vstudy and GMATPlus, and did the same for SC. A friend of mine told me to solve RC problems after the brain has had some stress, e.g. after the workday, which will simulate test conditions - I thought it was a good tip.

As far as my profile goes, I have about 6 yrs work exp. - 3 yrs in India and 3 yrs in US in IT and telecom. I will start looking at the application process now because my profile isn't very unique, and a good app will make all the difference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 07:30
Could you show us an example of the method of grids and all that you are talking about please.

Which Univerities are you planning to apply to? Any in India or all in here?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 09:05
Well, take any of the problems when person A starts walking from X to Y and B start from Y to X, speeds of each are given and you have to calculate where they meet. It's easier to solve it if you make a grid with the speed, distance and time - infact look at how the OG solves it (I dont have the problem number with me right now)

I would like to try US and European Universities, dont know if IIm takes GMAT scores
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 09:12
bluefox420 wrote:
Well, take any of the problems when person A starts walking from X to Y and B start from Y to X, speeds of each are given and you have to calculate where they meet. It's easier to solve it if you make a grid with the speed, distance and time - infact look at how the OG solves it (I dont have the problem number with me right now)

I would like to try US and European Universities, dont know if IIm takes GMAT scores

no, IIMs don't take gmat scores. you can try in ISB. they have a jet-speed, 1 yr, high profile curriculum and pretty good affiliations (only if these matter). To the Indian, and to an extent global, perspect ISB is a pretty decent choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 10:14
Actually IIMs do take GMAT scores. Please check the sites for details.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 10:47
Also, look at the OG problem with the airconditioned rooms/rented rooms calculation. If you try to solve it with algebraic methods, it would be much longer than if you do it with the grid as the OG does.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 11:33
pitts20042006 wrote:
Actually IIMs do take GMAT scores. Please check the sites for details.

yeh, that's right. IIMs do take gmat score, but they have a complicated clause there "..if you are residing outside India and can't take CAT, then you are eligible" what if a person is outside India, not permanently?? will he be eligible?

call IIMs and confirm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2003, 12:31
Yes he will be eligible. You should not be in India during the admission period .. THAT is the clause.

If you are in India on the day of the CAT exam then you HAVE TO take it and NOT GMAT. If you are in india during the time when the IIM is conducting interviews and you are invited for one you HAVE TO attend the interview.

check site for details ...
  [#permalink] 22 Dec 2003, 12:31