Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 710 Yesterday. Too Late to Apply 1st Rd.?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored 710 Yesterday. Too Late to Apply 1st Rd.? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 12:13
I sat for the GMAT yesterday and am happy with a 710 (Q: 45 V: 41). I would like to attend school next fall, and I am wondering if I am too late to get my application in by the first round deadlines. I would like to apply to some of the elite schools (i.e. HBS, Chicago, Tuck, McCoombs, Darden, Columbia, etc.) and some near elite schools (BYU). I haven't started writing essays or getting LofR together (these should be fairly easy to obtain as I have a good relationship with the people who I will be asking), which I believe will be the hardest parts of the application. Do you think that I should wait until Rd 2 or shoot for Rd 1? Your quick responce would be much appreciated.
_________________

Chet

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4813
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scored 710 Yesterday. Too Late to Apply 1st Rd.? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 22:19
Expert's post
chet719 wrote:
I sat for the GMAT yesterday and am happy with a 710 (Q: 45 V: 41). I would like to attend school next fall, and I am wondering if I am too late to get my application in by the first round deadlines. I would like to apply to some of the elite schools (i.e. HBS, Chicago, Tuck, McCoombs, Darden, Columbia, etc.) and some near elite schools (BYU). I haven't started writing essays or getting LofR together (these should be fairly easy to obtain as I have a good relationship with the people who I will be asking), which I believe will be the hardest parts of the application. Do you think that I should wait until Rd 2 or shoot for Rd 1? Your quick responce would be much appreciated.


I think you would be wise to wait until R2. Please see [urlhttp://accepted.typepad.com/admissions_almanac/2005/07/mba_admission_t.html]"The Great Round 1/Round 2 Fight.[/url]"

The exception would be Columbia, which is on roling admissions. If you are seriously interested in this program, try to submit in early December.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 06:43
Linda, thank you very much for the advice. I am also wondering about my chances at some of the ultra elite schools such as Harvard, Tuck, etc. My GMAT is right at the ave., my GPA is 3.82, and I am a Finacial Analyst at the Air Force Academy, directly responsible for a budget of 25 million dollars. My Quant score isn't quite as high as a lot of other applicants, and my underqraduate institution (Weber State University) isn't very well known. Do you think my quant score and my underqraduate school will hurt my chances at the ultra elite schools?
_________________

Chet

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4813
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 13:57
Expert's post
chet719 wrote:
Linda, thank you very much for the advice. I am also wondering about my chances at some of the ultra elite schools such as Harvard, Tuck, etc. My GMAT is right at the ave., my GPA is 3.82, and I am a Finacial Analyst at the Air Force Academy, directly responsible for a budget of 25 million dollars. My Quant score isn't quite as high as a lot of other applicants, and my underqraduate institution (Weber State University) isn't very well known. Do you think my quant score and my underqraduate school will hurt my chances at the ultra elite schools?


Sorry I missed that part of your earlier post. (asking about HBS, Chicago, Tuck, McCoombs, Darden, Columbia, etc. and some near elite schools (BYU)). You are a highly competitive candidate at BYU and McCombs. You have a shot at the others. Your GPA, GMAT, and work experience are competitive. You also have to have the personal qualities, leadership, initiative, teamwork, et.al that they seek.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2005, 06:42
Linda, thanks for your help so far. After starting my research on schools, more questions just keep popping up in my mind. I am interested to know how schools look upon career changes. I have been working in gov. finance for the last three years (Financial Analyst) and I know I definetly don't want to make a living in government. My ultimate goal is to get into small buisness consulting. Is the career change going to hurt my application? How do I approach explaining a career change on my application?

Your advice would be much apprecitated.
_________________

Chet

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4813
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 16:29
Expert's post
chet719 wrote:
Linda, thanks for your help so far. After starting my research on schools, more questions just keep popping up in my mind. I am interested to know how schools look upon career changes. I have been working in gov. finance for the last three years (Financial Analyst) and I know I definetly don't want to make a living in government. My ultimate goal is to get into small buisness consulting. Is the career change going to hurt my application? How do I approach explaining a career change on my application?

Your advice would be much apprecitated.


Career changers are a dime a doze in b-school. Depending on the source of the stats, at least 50% of MBA students are career changers. For advice on how to get accepted as a career changer, please see "MBA Admissions: Advice for career Changers."
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Is it too late to apply to NTU MBA? jeetparicha85 0 27 Mar 2014, 04:16
Is it too late to apply? xlneo0806 1 29 Jan 2012, 18:57
Too late to apply? peppergmt 1 16 Jan 2011, 14:14
Apply to INSEAD 3rd rnd Jan08 intake & 1st rnd Sep08 int paddyboy 10 15 Jun 2007, 12:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored 710 Yesterday. Too Late to Apply 1st Rd.?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.