Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 May 2015, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 26

Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2015, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi GC Folks,

From the first day I started preparing for GMAT, I dreamt of the day when I will see the numbers, those will bring smile to my face and a closure to all the hard work and tear and toil put during the preparation. Though the numbers were not exactly the same as I actually dreamt of the previous night of the GMAT (780 actually, but then again, I've dreamt of flying my Ferrari on moon's surface... so u get the idea :lol: ), the numbers were soothing, did bring a smile to my face and end to sleepless nights thinking about SC rules and Quant formulas. Yes, I scored a 740(Q50, V40, IR8, AWA5.5) in GMAT and am on seventh heaven right now.

I am writing this post not to tell you what to/not to read, or which books you should refer, I'm writing this to tell you what was different in my preparation and what I did to make sure my scores did not decline during practice tests. So, without further ado (yes, I learned this idiom as well.... just kidding) and not getting into much paragraph style, below are the do's and dont's I found to have worked for me:

Do's:

1. Always make your practice test score log.
2. Make sure your practice test score log says things that are important. For example, my log said about each test how many questions did I select incorrect option, how many incorrect were there in first 15, what was the lengthiest sequence of incorrect answers and which section/sub-section did I commit most mistakes in.
3. Always check your correct answers as well, just to make sure that your thought process was correct and if there is a possible, shorter way of solving that type of question,
4. Put extra effort in the areas you are most weak in (For me, it was RC).
5. Always try to solve harder and harder questions (Thanks to GMATClub, you get more and more tough questions now and then).
6. When solving questions on GMATClub, use timer, its a boon.
7. Make sure that your score in each section/sub-section grows in every next practice test. This can be ensured easily by following above points.
8. On the GMAT day, keep calm and concentrate on the question in front of you rather than worry about what mistakes you might have made in any of the earlier questions.
9. If you are unable to practice questions or are losing concentration level close to your exam, take a break for a day or two, dont study at all, go have fun, watch movies or hang out with friends till wee hours.
10. If even 9 is unable to fix the loss in concentration and/or you are still unable to practice, do consider rescheduling your GMAT (I rescheduled it by a month, work took toll), if you have an option.

Dont's:

1. Be open to your mistakes, but do not let them be a roadblocker.
2. Do not study for a section too long before switching to other. If you continue to work on one section for long, you may lose touch with other previously learned ones and eventually end up learning them again.
3. Dont make any section your favorite. GMAT will bring questions in front of you as equals and your favouritism may cost you big.
4. Dont fall for trap answers. This can be learned to avoid by following 5 and 6 of Do's list.
5. Dont study without a plan. You need to have a strategy for each kind of question and should know when to apply which strategy.
6. On GMAT Day, dont get stuck on any question for more than 2.5 minutes for Quant and 2 Minutes on Verbal (this doesn't apply to first question of a RC). If you are unable to solve a questions in above mentioned timeline, make a calculated guess and move on.
7. Do not get anxious when you have absolutely no idea how you are doing. Some people say that they saw a bold face CR so they thought they are doing good, some would suggest that when you see a complex probability+combinatorics questions you are doing good. Believe me, at any point in GMAT, I did not have the slightest of the hints about how I was doing, and that made me anxious. I did not lose too many points (At least I can hope so) but it may work adversely for others, so be wary.

So, that is how I made sure that I am able to score as big as possible for me. Now, I have to buy a new ultrabook (I promised myself to buy one if I scored more than 720, a kind of motivation that worked for me many times ;)) and I am worried about my money, hope to gather some soon and fulfill my promise to myself.

I will be more than happy to help anyone in dilemma. I may not be able to share the course material I have (mostly hard books) but I sure can share some wisdom.

Also, I struggled a lot to study for IR because of lack of resource online, only to stumble upon GMATPills collection a day before exam. I could not study much but you can, just follow the URL:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -reasoning

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 07:33
jugglerG2 wrote:
I actually dreamt of the previous night of the GMAT (780 actually, but then again, I've dreamt of flying my Ferrari on moon's surface

Which one of these is the "dream"? Ferrari or moon's surface or both;)

jugglerG2 wrote:

Would you mind sharing your score log with us; just wanted to see how closely mock scores correlate with the actual score.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

Re: Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 09:22
sukanyar wrote:
jugglerG2 wrote:
I actually dreamt of the previous night of the GMAT (780 actually, but then again, I've dreamt of flying my Ferrari on moon's surface

Which one of these is the "dream"? Ferrari or moon's surface or both;)

Well, you missed out a important part "flying".... having a Ferrari is a still achievable, but to have a Ferrari, that can fly, that too above moon's surface.... that's the dream I was talking about. :)

sukanyar wrote:
jugglerG2 wrote:

Would you mind sharing your score log with us; just wanted to see how closely mock scores correlate with the actual score.

Actually the practice log is kind of personal but as far as your concern goes, mock scores do correlate with actual score if you are talking about GMATPrep practice tests. Attached is a snapshot of my practice scores in different practice test for your reference.
Attachments

File comment: Practice Scores
Practice Scores.jpg
Practice Scores.jpg [ 76.41 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

Regards,
J

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 17:15
Kudos to great score. Can you please tell which study material you followed for RC and SC? Also were you working while you studied for GMAT?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

Re: Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2015, 04:19
mohit623 wrote:
Kudos to great score. Can you please tell which study material you followed for RC and SC? Also were you working while you studied for GMAT?

Hi mohit623,

For RC I used material provided by my friend. In case you need it, please PM me. For SC, I used Manhattan SC Strategy Guide, believe me, its one amazing book. Also, I started with VeritasPrep videos on SC below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8YVymgVTcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TisfC-02k3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7UbuAA6XVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrcpGcLpr04

And for your second question, Yes, I have been employed full time throughout the prep for GMAT.

Regards,
J

Re: Scored 740(Q50, V40), IR8, AWA5.5: Feels Awesome!!!   [#permalink] 24 May 2015, 04:19