Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored 750 - Thanks to all

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [4] , given: 0

Scored 750 - Thanks to all [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I gave my GMAT yesterday and scored 750.. Q50 & V40
I started my preparation on June 16th and completed it on September 12th.
i put in a lot of hardwork at an average of 20 to 25 hours a week. May be this is too much.
I started with 1001 DS QUESTIONS and completed some 12 sections. Only after that i went through the OG 13 and took the diagnostic test. I realised that my verbal skills are close to nothing.

I went through ARISTOTLE SC GRAIL. The book was very appealing and pleasant to read, not cramped with too many sentences in a page. Spent nearly 20 DAYS only on SC, going through various sources. Got Kaplan premier and wenth through SC, RC and critical reasoning chapters with good improvement.

I took my first adaptive test in august, more than one month after i started preparing. Kaplan First test- Inspite of my terrible performance, it gave me 710. I seriously thought that something was wrong with the algorithm. Nevertheless i continued with my preparation. By this time i understood my weak points- Critical reasong, Probablity , Factoring, inequalities and of course SC.

Spent the next two weeks only on critical reasonin- CR BIBLE and some 200 questions i downloaded from GMATclub. Eventhough my understaing improved, it was not getting reflected in my CR answers.

In the mean time got 720 , 720 in next two Kaplan tests. Then dived right into maths. NOVA'S MATH BIBLE was really helpful. It really gave me good understanding of probablity, work rate problems and speed problems. Whatever was left out in that book was cleared by CHILLI HOT MATH REVIEW book. These are the only two books i used for maths apart from Kaplan. I did go through MANHATTAN ADVANCED MATH-4 days before my exam. I tried to solve all the 150 problems in a single day for 12 hours continuosly and ended up getting severe head ache, doubting my maths preparation and dreams filled with equations. So my advice for those planning to read advanced math is to do it slowly and dont worry abt not being able to solve the problems in 2 mins. i was not able to solve more than 60-70 problems in 2 mins/problem.

After this spent around a week only on HIGH DIFFICULTY RC. It was really helpful. Actually, my CR scores improved only after this. It might be a coincidence.
Then got 730 in GMAT prep software. 730 in kaplan. 710 in veritas prep- lost time because of some issue in server or my laptop. Took my final Gmat prep two days before the GMAT and scored 770. I dint read too much into it because i got lucky in verbal and scored 47. I know i wont be able to repeat it in actual exam.

Final day before my exam, tried to review all my previous exams. But was able to review only 3 Kaplan exams and spent 3 hours on ARISTOTLE SC GRAIL which i read two months back, to refresh my memory.
WENT TO THE EXAM CENTER HOPING TO GET 740 AND GOT 750..

As one can see, My preparation was not well planned, just like this post. But compensated it with some hard work. And had a consistent improvement in my practise exam scores.
Drop me a message for any help/ clarification.
Finally, thanks to all the discussions in forums like this, which i referred to very often.. THANKS TO ALL..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Scored 750 - Thanks to all [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Math in the OG was easier. . I got a few questions from factors But hardly any question from probability in the exam.Towards the end of math section, i was worried as to why i dint get probability questions since it is considered one of the toughest.

Its hard to tell about the verbal part since i dont know which ones were correct.

If you are referring to the" secure digital music" in OG, i have to admit it is not that tough. From my experience, i can tell you that questions with longer sentences are easier since the four wrong answers will have some mistake(most of the times). But questions with shorter sentences are many times trickier because two answers may be gramatically correct but the explanation will say GMAT prefers 'one of them' since it not awkward or something like that.

If you want strategies for SC, the best one is to put the selected answer back into the question and read the sentence fully. Many times, the non-underlined part can prevent you from selecting wrong answer. I used to forget the actual sentence by the time i select one answer and end up choosing wrong answer.
Also during the practice exam, take time to review all the questions. Sometimes we may chosen correct answer thinking something whereas the actual thought process required may be something else. I used to spend atleast 4 hours to review each of my exams.

Learn to select some answer(logically) and move on to next question if you are not able solve or find out the answer. I practiced this during my last few exams. Before the GMAT exam i decided not to spend more than 3 mins on a single question (Max 3 to four questions) as i thought i can compensate only that much later. I did it for 2 to 3 questions in math during the exam.
Re: Scored 750 - Thanks to all   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 04:57