Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 21:40
Hi
I have given my GMAT recently and got a score of 770. I have a work experience of 2 years till now and it would be 3 by next fall. I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur . Can you help me with selecting a good B-school.
Also, my GPA is very bad(66%,~ 2.9-3.0/4.0) in my BTech. Will this matter a lot? Can you suggest few B Schools for which it wont matter much.
Also, I have been involved in sports and extra curricular activities, in case that helps
Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 16:49
Expert's post
Hi,

Congratulations on getting a great GMAT score.

Yes, GPA does matter, but other bright aspects of your profile can certainly offset it.Your GMAT score is an evidence of your academic capacity ;it is also indicative of your progress, which is good. Most schools offer you an option to explain your low GPA or any other weak aspect of your profile in the optional essay. So if you have a valid reason for your low GPA, you should definitely share that story in your optional essay.

As for the choice of schools, we need to know more about your profile and your goals to be able to suggest schools for you.

I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 41

Re: scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 22:02
auditya wrote:
Hi
I have given my GMAT recently and got a score of 770. I have a work experience of 2 years till now and it would be 3 by next fall. I have graduated from IIT Kharagpur . Can you help me with selecting a good B-school.
Also, my GPA is very bad(66%,~ 2.9-3.0/4.0) in my BTech. Will this matter a lot? Can you suggest few B Schools for which it wont matter much.
Also, I have been involved in sports and extra curricular activities, in case that helps
Thanks

Hi Auditya,

1. Are you sure 66% translates to 2.9 - 3.0 ? Or are you just assuming it ? Try this http://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp
It is a GPA calculator that takes all the info presented in your semester wise transcripts (let it me in percentages or in CGPA 10 grade system) and gives you a 4.0 GPA quivalent required for most american universities. It by no means is the ideal way to gauge your actual GPA ( every university use their own system to convert your GPA's, Some wont even bother to convert your GPA and some other schools might just rely on WES for an conversion). I actually have a 63.94% from JNTU and when I took time and calculated using WES , it was 3.49 / 4.00 GPA for me (I tried it multiple times to ensure i did not make any mistake in inputting the data). So you may finally have a good idea of where you stand in terms of GPA. Moreover you are graduated from a Top 7 institution in India and that matters a lot to the adcom. Let me know your GPA, when you actually try out the WES thing.

2. I wonder why is that all IITians score more than 760 in GMAT. Is it something in their veins ? hmmm, Could you enlighten me on a few things regarding the prep ?

- How many days/ weeks you actually prepared and what is the total effort you put in number of hours ( an approximate figure)
- What are the material you most relied on ? or did you join any institute ?
- Any special strategies for SC ?

Thanks.
Igloo
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 23:15
Hi Auditya,

Apologies for replying late and KUDOS on your GMAT!!

Need few more details to evaluate your profile & suggest b-school(s), like: Acads, short/long term goals, professional achievements, etc. Just for your information, the weight-age given to GMAT, GPA, acads & ECs in b-school (s) is not more than 30%-35% of the entire process. Application essays & interviews play a pivotal role in b-school admission and covers 60%-65% weight-age. So, I would suggest you to skillfully write essays and demonstrate achievements, headship traits & other aptitudes during final interviews. Meanwhile, you may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php

Let me know if you require any further assistance. You may PM your details for free profile evaluation and school selection.

Regards
Erina

auditya wrote:
Hi
Thanks

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Re: scored 770 in GMAT but low GPA   [#permalink] 27 May 2013, 23:15