Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 15:33
I have all my admission materials (they needed gmat by july 15) in and I Just needed to get a reasonable score on this thing, no I didn't graduate cum laude or was ever great at math (in fact I hated and I hate how my brain is so slow when it comes to understanding).

So I've taken days off from work and busted my ass off this past three weeks, studying literally night and day. I started studying way earlier with MGMT basic math refresher, but one concept took me a week to understand, so I never got through the book.

I did some work problems from mgmt. book, magoosh website, and og problems. My prep test score ((I took one was 410)..I knew I should have canceled my scores today cause I was just getting easy questions in Quant. I literally FROZE like omg I have to answer this, how many minutes do I have, how do I set it up.

I was hoping for a miracle on the other end, not worse than my preptest.

I know for a FACT that I will not get admitted this year. Please help me figure out what I need to do to get a better score. I don't want to pay for a costly class, but if I have too I will.

score Quant 0
Verbal 30
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 09:23
Expert's post
SadandBeaten wrote:
I have all my admission materials (they needed gmat by july 15) in and I Just needed to get a reasonable score on this thing, no I didn't graduate cum laude or was ever great at math (in fact I hated and I hate how my brain is so slow when it comes to understanding).

So I've taken days off from work and busted my ass off this past three weeks, studying literally night and day. I started studying way earlier with MGMT basic math refresher, but one concept took me a week to understand, so I never got through the book.

I did some work problems from mgmt. book, magoosh website, and og problems. My prep test score ((I took one was 410)..I knew I should have canceled my scores today cause I was just getting easy questions in Quant. I literally FROZE like omg I have to answer this, how many minutes do I have, how do I set it up.

I know for a FACT that I will not get admitted this year. Please help me figure out what I need to do to get a better score. I don't want to pay for a costly class, but if I have too I will.

score Quant 0
Verbal 30

Hi SadandBeaten,

To get a better score, you have to first identify your weaknesses and then target these and improve you performance. The best thing would be to take a GMAT Prep test and identify you current level and weak areas. If you find yourself weak in quant then best thing would be to start with a foundations book such as Foundations for GMAT Math by MGMAT and then gradually move to the regular guides.

This post will help you to figure out how to plan your preparation for GMAT.

study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

Hope this helps,

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:24
SadandBeaten wrote:

score Quant 0
Verbal 30

One thing I'm finding out as I prepare for the GMAT, is just how many topics in Quant that I never covered in school. I had never seen a factorial (n!), or heard of Combinations and Permutations. (To add insult to injury, I googled C and P and found out these are pre-algebra topics...a course I never took. One I now realize should have been required in 8th grade before going onto algebra in high school.) Nor had I ever done any probability other than very basic number of wanted outcomes/number of possible outcomes.

I never had to take any math when I got my B.S.. When I got an A.S. in Biomedical Electronics I had to take Algebra, Physics, and Technical Calculus. Now I am not strong in Maths. In several of these classes, I was first in line during my Professor's office hours. One thing I learned was use as many resources as possible if you don't understand a subject. I literally bought multiple study guides designed for high school students in an effort to get another take on concepts.

Put aside the GMAT study guides for now. Go down to your local Goodwill store and pick up a Pre-Algebra book, a high school algebra book, and if need be some Arthimatic books. Get some study guides...even ones that have cartoon illustrations. Look up topics on the internet. Later on you may want to pick up an introductory Statistics textbook. (I just started on one...another class I should have been required to take.)

Make up your own flash cards as you go along.

If you can find it pick up "Rapid Math Tricks and Tips: 30 days to number power" by Edward H. Julius. I found this at Goodwill and in the first few tips, I've learned tricks that have helped me in some Q problems.

Once you've boned up on basics...then go back to the GMAT study guides and questions.

GOOD LUCK!

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 18:56
Quote:
One thing I'm finding out as I prepare for the GMAT, is just how many topics in Quant that I never covered in school. I had never seen a factorial (n!), or heard of Combinations and Permutations. (To add insult to injury, I googled C and P and found out these are pre-algebra topics...a course I never took. One I now realize should have been required in 8th grade before going onto algebra in high school.) Nor had I ever done any probability other than very basic number of wanted outcomes/number of possible outcomes.

I never had to take any math when I got my B.S.. When I got an A.S. in Biomedical Electronics I had to take Algebra, Physics, and Technical Calculus. Now I am not strong in Maths. In several of these classes, I was first in line during my Professor's office hours. One thing I learned was use as many resources as possible if you don't understand a subject. I literally bought multiple study guides designed for high school students in an effort to get another take on concepts.

Put aside the GMAT study guides for now. Go down to your local Goodwill store and pick up a Pre-Algebra book, a high school algebra book, and if need be some Arthimatic books. Get some study guides...even ones that have cartoon illustrations. Look up topics on the internet. Later on you may want to pick up an introductory Statistics textbook. (I just started on one...another class I should have been required to take.)

Make up your own flash cards as you go along.

If you can find it pick up "Rapid Math Tricks and Tips: 30 days to number power" by Edward H. Julius. I found this at Goodwill and in the first few tips, I've learned tricks that have helped me in some Q problems.

Once you've boned up on basics...then go back to the GMAT study guides and questions.

GOOD LUCK!

MzJavert,

My situation is similar to yours.
I have always been bad at Math. Things took a drastic turn in Junior High when I was being taught pre-algebra. I never quite grasped it for some reason but did just enough to pass. In HS I didnt have much guidance so that on top of being bad at Math, I was not preoccupied with classes that were enriching or challenging or classes that would look good to colleges. I flunked out of Algebra and did not bother taking it again. During my Senior year I took a low level math class to satisfy the requirement to graduate.
I am an undergraduate now and while most people my age have done Physics and Calculus I can only do intermediate algebra AT MOST. I am really bad at anything Quantitative. I am also bad at those tricky word problems they have on the LSAT that test logic. I was just never properly founded in these areas. When I first started having problems in these areas at a young age they were just swept under the rug and I was happy to do the bare minimum and not worry about it anymore.

I hope to take the first crack at the GMAT perhaps in the Spring. This way I have time to take it a few times if needed. Essentially I will probably be studying for about a year or maybe more if I have to take it several times. I am taking the GMAT with only one purpose- to get into a top business school. Nothing less than an excellent grade is acceptable.

Since your issues with Math seem to be similar to mine (although mine might be worse) I was just wondering: If you've already taken the GMAT, How long you studied for, and what grade you got?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 21:49
ThreeEyedRaven wrote:

MzJavert,

My situation is similar to yours.
I have always been bad at Math. Things took a drastic turn in Junior High when I was being taught pre-algebra. I never quite grasped it for some reason but did just enough to pass. In HS I didnt have much guidance so that on top of being bad at Math, I was not preoccupied with classes that were enriching or challenging or classes that would look good to colleges. I flunked out of Algebra and did not bother taking it again. During my Senior year I took a low level math class to satisfy the requirement to graduate.
I am an undergraduate now and while most people my age have done Physics and Calculus I can only do intermediate algebra AT MOST. I am really bad at anything Quantitative. I am also bad at those tricky word problems they have on the LSAT that test logic. I was just never properly founded in these areas. When I first started having problems in these areas at a young age they were just swept under the rug and I was happy to do the bare minimum and not worry about it anymore.

I hope to take the first crack at the GMAT perhaps in the Spring. This way I have time to take it a few times if needed. Essentially I will probably be studying for about a year or maybe more if I have to take it several times. I am taking the GMAT with only one purpose- to get into a top business school. Nothing less than an excellent grade is acceptable.

Since your issues with Math seem to be similar to mine (although mine might be worse) I was just wondering: If you've already taken the GMAT, How long you studied for, and what grade you got?

Thanks!!

ThreeEyedRaven,

No, I haven't taken the GMAT yet. When I started studying, I thought I'd be ready in September...but that's not going to happen. I don't need an exceptionally high GMAT score, around 610-630, but I need more study time.

In my field there are only about a dozen formulas that we use frequently. These formulas are fairly straight forward, so they don't strain my brain that much.

Since you are still an undergrad, I'm sure plenty of other students at your school are studying for the GMAT. Organize a GMAT study group at your school. Having access to multiple minds can be a great asset when working through the concepts. (The only reason I got through h.s. freshman algebra was that another girl in my class helped me with problems I was having trouble with.) Like I said in my earlier post...use all the resources you can.

You may want to work on one Quant topic at a time. Start with the easier topics to build confidence. I just picked up a copy of Kaplan GMAT Fifth Edition, Complete, Effective Preparation through 2003, copyright 2001. Chapter 10 covers 100 math topics you should know for the GMAT. The topics range from the simple...know how to add...to more difficult topics like exponents...and geometry formulas. Once you have these basics down you can start working on putting them together.

While cruising the questions here on GMAT Club, notice which topics come up again and again...and work on understanding those problems.

Always remember pi*r^2===> NOT===> Pie R Round. (Math joke, pi*r^2 = area of a circle.)

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 00:43
Quote:

ThreeEyedRaven,

No, I haven't taken the GMAT yet. When I started studying, I thought I'd be ready in September...but that's not going to happen. I don't need an exceptionally high GMAT score, around 610-630, but I need more study time.

In my field there are only about a dozen formulas that we use frequently. These formulas are fairly straight forward, so they don't strain my brain that much.

Since you are still an undergrad, I'm sure plenty of other students at your school are studying for the GMAT. Organize a GMAT study group at your school. Having access to multiple minds can be a great asset when working through the concepts. (The only reason I got through h.s. freshman algebra was that another girl in my class helped me with problems I was having trouble with.) Like I said in my earlier post...use all the resources you can.

You may want to work on one Quant topic at a time. Start with the easier topics to build confidence. I just picked up a copy of Kaplan GMAT Fifth Edition, Complete, Effective Preparation through 2003, copyright 2001. Chapter 10 covers 100 math topics you should know for the GMAT. The topics range from the simple...know how to add...to more difficult topics like exponents...and geometry formulas. Once you have these basics down you can start working on putting them together.

While cruising the questions here on GMAT Club, notice which topics come up again and again...and work on understanding those problems.

Always remember pi*r^2===> NOT===> Pie R Round. (Math joke, pi*r^2 = area of a circle.)

I have been browsing the Manhattan GMAT store since they seem to be the gold standard around here. I was looking at the Quantitative set which includes 5 books, each on a different Math subject. Are you familiar with this particular set? Have you looked into the Manhattan books or have you just been sticking with Kaplan? I am wondering which would be better for me I always just figured I'd go with Manhattan but if you have experience with them both I'd love to hear your comparisons!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 02:16
I am also in a similar situation. While I don't believe I am inherently bad in Quant, but it's been quite some time and i would really have to work hard to get the basics back in place.
Re: Scored a 370 on Gmat-FML   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2013, 02:16