Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 15:45
Hello,

I scored a 550 on my first attempt at the GMAT today, and needless to say, I was a bit disappointed (considering the average score is a 605 at the school I wish to attend). I have only been working for 3 years, so I am guessing that I need to have a much higher score to be considered 650+.

Test breakdown: Q32, V34 - 550 total.

As background, I probably only studied a total of 5 hours over 1.5 weeks (which was barely enough to get me though the diagnositc test using GMAT Review. And despite my awful scores on the quantative section, I actually have a degree in Applied Mathematics. Honestly, it just seems like I didn't have enough time during the quantative section.

Can anyone offer any advice that would help me obtain a 650+ score? To hit the summer application deadline, I have 30 days to study, and to hit the fall application deadline, I have until June.

Additionally, based on my limited experience, what else can I do in increase my chances?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
-Michael
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
if you have a degree in math you can probably not really do anything and get 650+ with the same verbal and a math of 48+. If your actual goal is 650ish just take a few tests and get your timing down on math and start understanding what their testing on each question. The math itself isn't hard especially for someone who is very good at it.

IMO

Run
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 09:39
Yah. That's kind of how I feel. I just didn't really prepare and between the timing and me overthinkin it, it ended up bad.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: GWSB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for breaking it in to you - you have not really done anything yet to prepare for GMAT. So there is no reason to be disappointed. Based on your score and the amount of preparation you've put into it so far, you are probably a 700+ material. It took me over two months and many more actual hours of preparation to get 550 :oops: . But GMAT is structured and worded in such a way that you need to prepare for this exam specifically, not just try to wing it based on your general intelligence. So it's a no-brainer advice: just put in some preparation time. Especially if you feel like you did not have enough time, the best way to remedy that is to do as many test simulation as possible with emphasis on time management. I frankly think I am a 700 material too, if I had unlimited time on the test 8-). So just use many fine resources on this site to get some real preparation and CAT GMAT simulations. Best of luck to you on the next sitting.

http://parttimembadegree.com

Re: Scored a 550 on first attempt, but need to get much higher   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2010, 12:51