Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 14:47
I took the GMAT for the first time today and scored a 550 (36 quant, 29 verbal). All in all, considering I never broke 550 on any of my practice tests I was not disappointed. I didn't clam up or get nervous at all.

There were just some quant questions I had no clue how to do, geometry and algebra questions come to mind. And no matter how much I practiced, I just really, really struggled with data sufficiency.

On qualitative, I guess I did just average, I am not particularly strong in any of the three subjects. I need to get better in all three phases. During my practice tests I would consistently struggle with CR and SC.

Bottom line is I would like to get a 650 at the very least. I just need to figure out how to get there. Your help is appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 57 [5] , given: 0

Re: Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2008, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
36Q is probably due to not remembering a lot of your High School math. If I were you (and I am almost on the same boat), I'd work on getting my fundamentals up to par. Perhaps purchase MGMAT's strategy guides and/or GMAX Online. After your fundamentals are solid, the way to improve is by practicing from OG, which you'll also do by following the above mentioned resources, and by taking CAT's. Gmat Prep and MGMAT's CAT's are the way to go. GMAT Club's "challenges" are also great practice to increase your Q score. Try not to be satisfied with just working through the problems, but also understanding the details behind each question - why an answer is right or wrong. For Verbal, I'd go with SC Strategy Guide from MGMAT and Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible for CR. You'll get access to MGMAT CAT's with the purchase of any Strategy Guide. Lastly, and perhaps equally important, reading through this forum will help you a lot by learning from other people's mistakes and achievements. Hope that helps.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2008, 20:17
HBSBound wrote:
36Q is probably due to not remembering a lot of your High School math. If I were you (and I am almost on the same boat), I'd work on getting my fundamentals up to par. Perhaps purchase MGMAT's strategy guides and/or GMAX Online. After your fundamentals are solid, the way to improve is by practicing from OG, which you'll also do by following the above mentioned resources, and by taking CAT's. Gmat Prep and MGMAT's CAT's are the way to go. GMAT Club's "challenges" are also great practice to increase your Q score. Try not to be satisfied with just working through the problems, but also understanding the details behind each question - why an answer is right or wrong. For Verbal, I'd go with SC Strategy Guide from MGMAT and Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible for CR. You'll get access to MGMAT CAT's with the purchase of any Strategy Guide. Lastly, and perhaps equally important, reading through this forum will help you a lot by learning from other people's mistakes and achievements. Hope that helps.

I agree with everything said here. It's absolutely essential that you master the fundamentals. It's not a quick solution, but you'll see a very significant increase in your score. When I started preparing for the GMAT, I didn't even remember what an integer was. I fumbled around with Kaplan 800 and OG11 right out of the gate, but they weren't the best materials for me. I significantly improved my Quant fundamentals by using the Kaplan Math Workbook (took to me about a Q43-45). Shortly after finishing the Kaplan Math Workbook I purchased access to the GMAX Online course, which I cannot say enough about. I'm testing somewhere around a Q47-48 and Verbal 39-42 now. Once you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, there's nothing left to do but practice and increase your speed.

P.S. Don't underestimate the difficulty of Verbal :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2008, 20:28
Avernusaur wrote:
HBSBound wrote:

I agree with everything said here. It's absolutely essential that you master the fundamentals. It's not a quick solution, but you'll see a very significant increase in your score. When I started preparing for the GMAT, I didn't even remember what an integer was. I fumbled around with Kaplan 800 and OG11 right out of the gate, but they weren't the best materials for me. I significantly improved my Quant fundamentals by using the Kaplan Math Workbook (took to me about a Q43-45). Shortly after finishing the Kaplan Math Workbook I purchased access to the GMAX Online course, which I cannot say enough about. I'm testing somewhere around a Q47-48 and Verbal 39-42 now. Once you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, there's nothing left to do but practice and increase your speed.

P.S. Don't underestimate the difficulty of Verbal :)

Also, don't underestimate the importance of Verbal. In my 2 GMAT's, my overall score was 2 % points lower than my verbal score and the exact same % the second time I took the GMAT. 84% for verbal and 82% overall and 95% for verbal and 95% overall.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Scored a 550 today, how can I improve my score by 100 pts?   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2008, 20:28