Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Scoring 700 at 3rd January 2016 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

From your post, it sounds like you're planning to apply to just one Program. Is that the case? Does that Program have any other later admissions rounds? I ask because your current Test Date gives you just 4 weeks of study time remaining. If you're going to limit yourself to just free resources, then you'll likely need more time than that to hit your score goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scoring 700 at 3rd January 2016 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi yalden,

From your post, it sounds like you're planning to apply to just one Program. Is that the case? Does that Program have any other later admissions rounds? I ask because your current Test Date gives you just 4 weeks of study time remaining. If you're going to limit yourself to just free resources, then you'll likely need more time than that to hit your score goals.

Rich

I know it sucks, but I can't help it right now and have to study with what's available.
Well, it's just the deadline of my favorite program, other programs have later deadlines luckily. And yes, it will definitely be tough and maybe it won't work out for me. But I'm super amibitious and will dedicate all of my available time to the GMAT.
How should I set up my study plan from now on?
Love your signature btw!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

When was the last time you took a FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? What were your scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scoring 700 at 3rd January 2016 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi yalden,

When was the last time you took a FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? What were your scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Rich

Big game changer, I managed to get the Manhattan Strategy Books(2012 edition) 1-9 from the local library, so I now have some decent resources to prepare with. I am so excited right now.

My last full CAT was last Friday(that Veritas one) , resulting in Q34 V29. Maybe it's also important for you to know that I'm from Germany.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

You'll likely find those books to be quite helpful. Using that last FULL CAT as a gauge, you'll have to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Since you're on a limited timeframe, its really important that you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) each time and that you try to do everything in your power to make each CAT 'experience' match up with the parameters of your Official GMAT (so take the FULL CAT, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I did GmatPrep1 today and scored a solid 640, with Q44/V34. I have noticed that, although I do not face these while practicing, when I took the CAT under test conditions, I had some timing issues. Usually, when doing OG verbal, I do sets of ~20 questions mixed in type and difficulty and get 70-90% right.
I have analyzed my data and found that I messed up for both Q and V in the 2nd half. I know that's a stamina issue, but I also got really nervous because I felt that I am always lagging behind. While in Quant, I had no problems with letting a problem go that was simply too hard, in Verbal I just did not know when to let go, and what question type. Do you have any advise on this and on what I should focus in my last days? Should I even take another CAT or should I now try to adjust my timing in other ways?
Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

With a 640, you're actually not that far away from 700+. However, at higher scoring levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes. If you make too many mistakes, then the 700+ score will simply be impossible to achieve. To that end, you should review this CAT and determine WHY you were getting questions wrong. How many were because of little mistakes, how many were because the question was too hard and how many were because you were low on time (and had to guess). The little mistakes should be the easiest things to fix in these last few days. You should NOT be doing too much studying though (NO CRAMMING!) and you should not take any more CATs either (you'd run the risk of 'burn out' before your Exam.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I ended up scoring 600, with Q40,V33. Interestingly enough, I didn't study for IR at all and got the full 8 points :shock:
I will assess my possibilities and will probably retake some day in the future. Thanks for the support, Rich!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

While a 600 isn't an exciting score, it's still above-average, and it might be enough to help you get into Business School.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) Other than the immediate deadline you described, what are the other application deadlines?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,I am planning to apply for MSc in Economics to the following schools
-University of Cologne, Germany
-Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
-Maastricht University, Netherlands
-Stockholm School of Economics

Other deadlines are either in March, May and July.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi yalden,

Knowing the specific Schools that interest you is good - you can research each of them in more detail to get a better sense of how your GMAT score compares. Most Schools/Programs will post an Average GMAT score for past incoming classes and will often include additional data (the 'middle 80%' of GMAT scores, etc.). It's important to note that the School's Average GMAT score is NOT a minimal score requirement - so for example, if the average GMAT score is 620, then your 600 is clearly 'in the range' of what the School is looking for.

The 'other' deadlines are far enough off that you could continue to study and retake the GMAT as needed. If you end up choosing to retest, then you can feel free to contact me directly with any questions you might have about your Study Plans going forwards.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's what I'm going to do. Thank you very much for your support, which I appreciate a lot.
GMAT Club Bot