Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scoring Differences... what to do now

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 3

Scoring Differences... what to do now [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 12:01
I'm really in a rut here. I'm shooting for a 720, but I simply cannot maintain any consistency. My math scores are all over the place, rarely getting into the 80th percentile, which I absolutely need. I fear my brain can't lock into the questions long enough... after 15 questions, I get so fatigued that every problem seems harder than it is.

My scores look something like this, I don't want to take the official practice until I'm consistent with the others, since i don't want to waste them.

Knewton C1: 720 (45, 45)
Knewton C2: 720 (45, 45)
Knewton C3 740 (47, 43)
Knewton C4: 710 (43, 43)
Knetwon C5: 720 (47, 40)
Kaplan Free Practice: 750 (48, 44)
MGMAT1: 690 (46, 38)
MGMAT2: 670 (44, 37)

My verbal scores are starting to decline because I'm trying so hard to raise my math score that I'm beginning to either lose focus or forget verbal concepts. The 720+ scores are generally coming from jumbo verbals (2-3 questions wrong on the whole section), which is hard to retain under pressure.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: Scoring Differences... what to do now [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 19:31
It's possible that you have some genuine GMAT issues to work on, but I'm not sure that your practice test scores mean what they seem to mean.

For starters, it's always wise to take all practice test scores with a serious grain of salt, unless you're doing a GMATPrep test. It's particularly impossible for test-prep companies to write realistic verbal questions, so the verbal scores are especially suspect.

So when I see a dropoff from your Knewton scores to your MGMAT scores, I don't think it really tells us anything. Your quant scores are reasonably consistent across the eight tests, and it's really just the verbal scores that are bouncing around. And that's exactly what I would expect if you take eight non-official practice tests from three different companies.

If you're really worried about losing your verbal sharpness, do a big fat wad of official verbal questions (from your choice of the OG, verbal guide, and/or GMATPrep Question Pack) until you get your mojo back. If you're worried about stamina, take on some LSAT CR and RC sections--they'll really test your ability to focus. And if you do well on all of that stuff, go ahead and take a stab at a GMATPrep test. It looks like you might have some legit quant weaknesses that you'll want to keep working on, but chances are good that the verbal issues are largely a result of overusing non-official practice tests. Stick to the official stuff, and you'll probably be fine.

Good luck!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Scoring Differences... what to do now   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 19:31