Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scoring logic of Kaplan test ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 251
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 23:55
I gave Practice test 2 at Kaptest.com

Was surprised to see that it wasnt CAT....worst it had questions by section...as in first SC, then CR and RC...

Even more confusing was the scoring ....I didnt get any question wrong in quant still my score in 49

overall....700 (Q-49, V-39)

any comments ?

Are there any CAT tests in Kaptest.com ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 750+ or Burst !
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 00:02
Alchemist1320 wrote:
I gave Practice test 2 at Kaptest.com

Was surprised to see that it wasnt CAT....worst it had questions by section...as in first SC, then CR and RC...

Even more confusing was the scoring ....I didnt get any question wrong in quant still my score in 49

overall....700 (Q-49, V-39)

any comments ?

Are there any CAT tests in Kaptest.com ?


The last 4 tests are CAT!
_________________

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1635
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 16:16
Expert's post
Kaplan's tests have a reputation for what you experienced. My advice is to view them more as a chance to get used to taking a test on a computer and to work on stamina. The score - as long as it isn't too low - does not mean much. The only scores that you should pay attention to are from the two GMATPrep tests. Those offer the best simulation of the actual test and provide the most accurate indicator of your current level.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 359
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 15:23
bmillan01 wrote:
Kaplan's tests have a reputation for what you experienced. My advice is to view them more as a chance to get used to taking a test on a computer and to work on stamina. The score - as long as it isn't too low - does not mean much. The only scores that you should pay attention to are from the two GMATPrep tests. Those offer the best simulation of the actual test and provide the most accurate indicator of your current level.


AYE! Can't agree more. I plan to take at-least 2 (hopefully all) of these CATs in my last 2 weeks to boost my stamina.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 251
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 22:27
I think Kaplan has very dfferent scoring logics for CATs on their site ( kaptest.com) versus CATs on the CDROM given with Kaplan premier

Yesterday I have CAT-3 on kaptest.com and got 730 in spite of 3 wrong in maths and 15 wrong in verbal

my friend gave similar test in CD and got 630 ( 3 wrong in maths and 18 in verbal)

plus...I got 55 in maths ( first time I saw a score more than 51)

Kaplan's verbal is unnecessarily tough and gives wrong impession about one's preparation

Last edited by Alchemist1320 on 25 Jul 2011, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 750+ or Burst !
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 22:56
Alchemist1320 wrote:
I think Kaplan has very dfferent scoring logics for CATs on their site ( kaptest.com) versus CATs on the CDROM given with Kaplan premier

Yesterday I have CAT-3 on kaptest.com and got 730 in spite of 3 wrong in maths and 15 wrong in verbal

my friend gave similar test in CD and got 630 ( 3 wrong in maths and 18 in verbal)

plus...I got 55 in maths ( first time I saw a score more tha 51)

Kaplan's verbal is unnecessarily tough and gives wrong impession about one's preparation


You don't know how glad I am to read this :-D :-D
_________________

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Posts: 98
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 03:43
Today I took a Kaplan test and scored a 750(Q50, V51). Not sure what to make out of this. This was an online CAT and not from the CD. BTW, when I took the test from their CD 3 days back, I scored 570!! The complete interface and difficulty level of the tests on the online CAT was much different than the ones on the CD. Verbal was almost the same, but Quant was difficult in the online CAT.
Online CATs seem much updated.

I also read somewhere that from June 2010, they have updated their algorithm and no more deflate the scores. See here--> http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat/134029- ... -test.html

Can any Kaplan representative comment on this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 00:51
That's the highest score I have heard about on Kaplan, good job.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 251
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 20:12
did one more Kaplan Test

got 750 (Q-55, 1 wrong, V42- 13 wrong)

RC killed me

Will buy aristotle RC 99 today...not sure if it will help as only 20 days left
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Posts: 98
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 20:23
Alchemist1320 wrote:
did one more Kaplan Test

got 750 (Q-55, 1 wrong, V42- 13 wrong)

RC killed me

Will buy aristotle RC 99 today...not sure if it will help as only 20 days left


I am finding RC-99 helpful. Atleast helping me in grasping the gist of the passage well even if the passage is quite dense.
Re: Scoring logic of Kaplan test ?   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2011, 20:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Kaplan test scores spriya 9 14 Jul 2008, 21:00
1 KAPLAN practice test scores rianah100 4 15 Oct 2005, 16:55
kaplan diagnostic test score manuvns 0 12 Sep 2005, 12:57
Kaplan tests scoring moody 4 27 Jul 2004, 23:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scoring logic of Kaplan test ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.