Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scoring question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scoring question [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:31
I have heard two different sides to this argument so i'm just looking for a clear answer. Is it better to score higher in quant or in verbal? More clearly, will one boost your score more than the other? Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:33
Ideally we all eant to score high in both. But a higher verbal score boosts ur score more than a higher quant score.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:48
I know scoring questions are tricky to answer when it comes to the gmat but, any idea why that is or by how much?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:35
Here is a quote from a previous question that was similar.

Quote:
I don't think verbal is weighted more it's that people who take the test tend to do better on the quant part. So your overall score is going to be based on what %tile you end up in in both sections.

If you get a 46 in Quant it is 79% but a 46 in verbal is 99%.


It appears as though you are scoring higher in Math but %tile wise that isn't the case. So a 49, 40 looks like a 9 point difference in score but they are both the same %.

I've attached a copy of the scoring from my official report this might help you understand why verbal scores appear to have a larger impact.
Attachments

File comment: GMAT Score Report
gmat.JPG
gmat.JPG [ 97.76 KiB | Viewed 14225 times ]

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:54
Thanks for the response. That makes a lot more sense when explained that way.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:17
It's not a good idea to compare a 47q with a 47v. However, the fact of the matter is this:

high V + low Q > low V + high Q

It might only be up to 30 pts, but more closely to 10-20 pts. But remember, even more true might be that where you put forth your efforts is more important. If you have 30 hours left to study, do you want to use that to improve verbal even if putting that effort into quant may yield a higher total score?

I scored higher on quant and felt that had I put more effort into verbal, it really wouldn't have helped me much more. On the other hand, I knew that studying quant would definitely help me improve my score b/c I knew that I could improve. Just think wisely when allocating your study time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:48
I agree you are going to have to allocate your time based on what score you want to get and what your current breakdown is. It really is going to be different for every person. The way I decided this was I want atleast a 700 and I want it to be a balanced score with both sections over 80%. So I set a goal of (48q, 38v) anything over that in either category is lagniappe. I use my practice test to make sure I'm meeting both of these goals and change study time based on the outcomes.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:07
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -have.html


Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)
_________________

Jimmy Low, Frankfurt, Germany
Blog: http://mytrainmaster.wordpress.com
GMAT Malaysia: http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 453
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:21
what ... they send their instructors to take the test every month ... talk about being thorough !!!

I wouldnt want to have that job though :roll:

jimmylow wrote:
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -have.html


Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)

_________________

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:25
sm332 wrote:
what ... they send their instructors to take the test every month ... talk about being thorough !!!

I wouldnt want to have that job though :roll:

jimmylow wrote:
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -have.html


Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)


Well, they pay their instructors US$100 per hour. At this rate, don't you want this job? My job only pays equivalent to US$14.36 per hour :lol:
_________________

Jimmy Low, Frankfurt, Germany
Blog: http://mytrainmaster.wordpress.com
GMAT Malaysia: http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 453
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:29
jimmylow wrote:
sm332 wrote:
what ... they send their instructors to take the test every month ... talk about being thorough !!!

I wouldnt want to have that job though :roll:

jimmylow wrote:
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -have.html


Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)


Well, they pay their instructors US$100 per hour. At this rate, don't you want this job? My job only pays equivalent to US$14.36 per hour :lol:



You have a good point, I dont even want to think about converting my pay on an hourly basis .. it will hurt too much ... if this Bschool business doesnt work out maybe I should think abt this as an alternative career!!!
_________________

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78716

CAT Tests
Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 17:52
I personally think the overall score is what matters. People forget on this board that the score is only one piece to the puzzle, we shouldn't dissect that piece too much.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 18:01
Personally, im glad that Verbal carries a little more weight. In my opinion, SC is the easiest portion of the test to noticeably improve in. Plus, I think the RC is the simplest part as well.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 20:33
jlola21 wrote:
I personally think the overall score is what matters. People forget on this board that the score is only one piece to the puzzle, we shouldn't dissect that piece too much.


While I agree that the overall score matters, what make up this score is the combination of Verbal and Quant scores. If you look at this rubric, you can do well in Quant but it is the Verbal that makes the difference.
Attachments

gmatscorerubric.gif
gmatscorerubric.gif [ 37.66 KiB | Viewed 13951 times ]


_________________

Jimmy Low, Frankfurt, Germany
Blog: http://mytrainmaster.wordpress.com
GMAT Malaysia: http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 21:18
Actually this is not true. It is common knowledge that ad-coms look at the score breakdowns in the context of your background. For instance if you are a history major, ad-coms will pay attention to you quant score, since they need to be convinced of your ability to handle tough such b-school quant topics as statistics. Similarly if you are an engineer with a verbal score of 20, but Q score of 51, your ability to write reports / essays during the MBA will be severely put to question.


jlola21 wrote:
I personally think the overall score is what matters. People forget on this board that the score is only one piece to the puzzle, we shouldn't dissect that piece too much.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 115
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 21:44
Eg. Tuck allows you to report the highest score for AWA, Quant, Verbal and Overall.
_________________

Jimmy Low, Frankfurt, Germany
Blog: http://mytrainmaster.wordpress.com
GMAT Malaysia: http://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com

Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78716

CAT Tests
Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 01:52
Oh I am sure they do look at the breakdowns, I was just saying I think there is a common theme on this board where people get a little bit obsessive over the score breakdowns. Of course they are important, but hey - if you got a 700+ no adcom would take that as a bad score! Just trying to be positive here people! :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12353
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scoring question [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 14:03
Expert's post
Just gently bumping this topic
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Scoring question   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2009, 14:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Scoring Question terp26 4 02 Mar 2007, 08:46
scoring question CookieMonster 5 19 Feb 2007, 09:41
Scoring Question adale 1 12 Apr 2006, 17:16
Scoring questions Cypher 3 02 Mar 2006, 11:21
Scoring question jdtomatito 0 03 Nov 2005, 00:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scoring question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.