Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes there quite a few complaints.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wasnt an issue, other than the wrist was all blue/black.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is true [#permalink]
Hi There,

I took the gmat on Apr 29th.. I was really surprised at the "scrap paper", because I didn't expect it at all! It kind of threw me in the beginnning.

I received not a dry erase board, but laminated yellow paper. The pens were sort of fine time marker type pens, and the first one I had, had a completely messed up tip! So I had to ask for a new pen.

Anyway, the "paper" itself was okay -- but my major issue was that there were only 4 sheets given at a time (so front and back, there were 8 sides)... this was NOT enough for me, for the math section -- during my practices I went through 14-16 sides of paper...

The test center lady would not give me another stack right at the beginning, and told me to ask for more, when I had finished with the first stack...

It was very irritating, because during the exam, she wasn't looking in the test room, and I had to continue my test using little spaces on the paper... I had to keep looking back at the window section, to see if she was looking -- it was not helpful at all..

And of course, my hands got ink all over them.. .

So all in all, if you don't let it phase you, it's okay -- it also helps if you have really small handwriting :-).

Regards,
Sangita.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My tutor suggested I purchase a replica of one to practice with, it was very helpful come test day. I thought it was a dumb idea at first but when I started using it and got use to it, it was no big deal test day. It came with the dry erase book and the exact pen that was used

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by mikewill949 on 29 Sep 2006, 18:59.
Last edited by mikewill949 on 30 Sep 2006, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's fine. Dont sweat it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I actually had a terrible time with it the first time around. It was difficult to see what I wrote and I found myself not doing calculations because the pen was so difficult to use. The glossy nature of the grid pad made it even worse. Then to top it all off, I ran out of ink with about 7-8 minutes left. You can't just get up and get another pen. You must raise your hand, wait for the proctor to come, tell him the problem, then wait for him to run back to his desk and bring you a pen. It probably cost me over a minute total. Did it affect my score? Hard to say, but I was frustrated and thinking about it during the verbal section - of course that's my own fault for letting it continue to bother me.

I would suggest asking for an additional pen when you first go in, and if they don't let you do that (they turned me down on my second try), then at least try to get them to give you a new pen (I was able to get that).

All-in-all it's a truly asinine thing to have to worry about, but plan ahead if you can. And if you do have problems, let it go and don't let it get to you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didnt have any issues with the paper and pen. Though my palm was all black!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAC claims that the markers are for cost savings, when, in fact, we all know they are distributed for security purposes. I have a strong hunch that savvy cheaters were bringing in their own paper and copying down answers to share with others. Not a difficult thing to do if you already have other sheets of paper at your workstation.

If you have good content mastery and well rehearsed timing skills, then the markers will probably be the least of your worries. To best replicate testing conditions I might suggest that you do all your practice with lightly graphed paper and a fine tip felt pen. The glossy sheets do tend to smudge because the ink won't be fully absorbed by the laminated surface when your hand brushes against it (especially if you are left handed).

If you would like to read other opinions about this eraseable white board, you might want to look at the sticky titled "fight the noteboard" in the GMAT forum.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My experience was contrary to most! I actually liked them. Anyway, for what it's worth - here's a little tip for those who have trouble with "number of sheets." What I always do (or did) was draw a vertical line through the center of the sheet, bisecting it to two write areas. The reason is that we rarely write the entire horizontal length, and we waste valuable real estate. And the reduced write space makes it feel more compact so your writing does not go sprawling on the page. Worked for me, and hopefully someone else will find it useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Im telling you guys.... getting the special book and pen before hand is the way to go! Helped me by far more than I thought it would
https://www.gettingtogradschool.com/MBA- ... terial.htm
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with the person who suggests that noteboard thing, I bought one and used it for practice and I think it really helped me for when I wrote GMAT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you have OCD and/or ADD, then I would advise you to practice with the dry eraseboard. In any other case, trust me, the boards are just fine. The pen sort of dies out (not drastically however), but you can always ask for more than one. Really- it seems that some people are letting the small stuff sweat them while taking the test, rather than just concentrating. Nonetheless, my test center was in a fairly decent center, and in America, so that might mean something...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rdw28 wrote:
If you have OCD and/or ADD, then I would advise you to practice with the dry eraseboard. In any other case, trust me, the boards are just fine. The pen sort of dies out (not drastically however), but you can always ask for more than one. Really- it seems that some people are letting the small stuff sweat them while taking the test, rather than just concentrating. Nonetheless, my test center was in a fairly decent center, and in America, so that might mean something...

Well, my test center was in the USA as well. My pen did run out of ink and it cost me about a minute of test time. The pen was extremely difficult to use and I could almost not write anything legible up until the moment that it ran out of ink. The next time around I asked for an additional pen and they refused to give me one.

It's hard to concentrate when you have 5 questions left, a little more than 10 minutes on the clock and you're sitting there with your hand up waiting for the proctor to come by.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
It's hard to concentrate when you have 5 questions left, a little more than 10 minutes on the clock and you're sitting there with your hand up waiting for the proctor to come by.

This is simply a joke. It's the powers that be forcing their will on the powerless. In the end, what can we do except try our best to not let it phase us.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts