Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink]
its probably an 'off' day. work on timing and remember to note the time remaining.

with intl loans becoming an issue now... its becoming more important to get a high gmat score in order to secure more $$ aid....

gd luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry to hear about this. Bummer. When is the attempt #2?
Next time, don't even consider the option - most schools wont' care if you have a 300 followed by 650 - they'll just take 650.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the kind words... Attempt #2 is going to be in early Oct. I canceled my score because I heard that some schools might take an average of all scores. I guess I should have found out whether the schools I'm applying to take the highest or average...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I personally think that it's not a good idea to cancel the score. I had time issues and guessed something like the last 10 quant questions. Maybe less than that, but definitely more than 4. I thought that was it and I bombed. I ended up with a 690. 44 in Quant, all things considering that was an ok score. 41 in Verbal. However, imagine if I got a 45 verbal, I would definitely do over 700. That's why it's a good idea to see the score, you have little (if anything) to lose and a lot to gain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
Send PM
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. Bummer. When is the attempt #2?
Next time, don't even consider the option - most schools wont' care if you have a 300 followed by 650 - they'll just take 650.
seseoppa wrote:
Hi guys,

I took the GMAT today. Everything went well today before the test. Everything went smoothly at the test center as well as I arrived on time and got checked in. I feel I did pretty good on the essays.

I took the 8 min break and started the Quant section. I was a bit nervous at first but eventually settled in. I took about 2 min even on average on each question from question #1 to about #7-8. Then somewhere along the way, I got stuck on a couple of questions and ended up taking too much time trying to solve them, rather than guessing and moving on. By the time I got through half of the Quant section, I had taken about 5 more minutes than I should have at that point. I tried to speed up but only got to about question #33 with approximately 2 minutes left. For the rest of the questions I just glanced at the question stem and made random guesses.

Knowing I had messed up the Quant section, I made up my mind to cancel the score during the optional break. For the verbal section I worked on about a third of the questions and the rest I just made random guesses. At the end of the test, I canceled my score. $250 out of my wallet with nothing to show for.

I feel totally disappointed... More so because I took the GMAT twice back in 2005 and never had any problem finishing the quant section. FYI, I scored 670 and 680 on my previous two attempts. I was looking forward to getting over 700 mark this time around but I guess I will have to try again.

I studied for 2 months. Books I studied include OG12, OG Math review, Kaplan premier and MGMAT SC. I took 9 practice CATs and here's how I did:

GMATprep 1: Q44 V41 T700
MGMAT 1: Q43 V38 T670
MGMAT 2: Q44 V40 T700
Kaplan 1: Q46 V44 T730
Kaplan 2: Q50 V33 T680
Kaplan 3: Q48 V36 T680
GMATprep 2: Q49 V41 T740
GMATprep 1(retake): Q50 V41 T750 (Repeats: Q: 2, V: 3-4)
MGMAT 3: Q48 V40 T720

I did have problem finishing MGMAT quant sections on time. I didn't have that problem on quant sections of GMATprep or Kaplan CATs though. Now I will have to wait another month to take the GMAT again. I guess I should try out the GMAT timer thing that I never bothered to look at... Any advice or comments are welcome.

seseoppa
Tough Luck but I think it was really bad strategy on your part..!!
I'm sure you were doing a lot better than you thought you were. Chances are you were doing extremely well thru' ur quants sections and the guessing the last few would've made little difference to your score...!! I have seen that enough number of times during my GMATprep tests. I used to get scaled scores of 50 even guessing the last 5 or 6 questions. What matters more is how many tough questions you answer correctly on the trot..!!
Besides, even if you had made up ur mind about cancelling the scores, you didnt have to guess on the verbal section. You couldve and should have taken on the verbal section like nothing happened. Wouldve at least given you a good idea about the kind of questions GMAT throws at you and seen how well you were prepared for them..!!
I hope and pray that you do not repeat the same mistake again. And please take a lot of GMATprep tests to get a feel of how the GMAT evaluates your score. You'll know what I'm trying to say..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts